• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arknights Smartphone Game Gets Animated TV Series by Yostar Pictures

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
That was unexpected. And just like Girls Frontline, it seems like the player character, The Doctor, for the anime will be female.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote
Finally a tv anime, i wouldn't want this franchise to stay as ONA only forever.
See you soon in anime Mahjong Soul & Blue Archive.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I suppose this is just a matter of time, well can't wait to see it Smile
o76923

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
The Doctor, for the anime will be female.

That's not entirely clear. The voice sounded like a woman but it was also filtered through a synthesizer. It's possible that the voice we heard was PRTS.

For people who don't play the game, PRTS mostly acts as an in-universe explanation for how we auto-deploy stages to grind them for mat drops. Though, other characters do interact with her on occasion. At the very beginning of the game, it's implied that she also is responsible for the player being able to interact with the game world by pressing buttons while the player is in the hospital, so it might be that she controls more prosthetics or a voice box.

I'd be thrilled if it was revealed that the Doctor is a woman but it's not a guarantee yet from the clip.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Who could license the show?
o76923

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Funimation will probably buy the distribution rights in the US. They have Granblue and Azure Lane, the other two anime based on gacha games produced by Yostar Pictures.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I hope the protagonist is a girl. I prefer a female-only cast in anime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
That was unexpected. And just like Girls Frontline, it seems like the player character, The Doctor, for the anime will be female.

Assuming the doctor is even in it. Let's not forget the Commander from Yostar's Azur Lane tv series never made an actual appearance if memory serves me. Just some mentions. They could do the same here and remove the main protagonist you play as and just focus on the girls. They might reference the doctor as a female, but I would wait to see if the doctor (regardless of gender) actually makes an appearance.
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:

The voice is clearly left ambiguous for a reason. We probably will never see what is under the mask and with an ambiguous voice like the one shown in the trailer the character will most likely stay anonymous for a long time, if not ever.

It is a bit sad that they just retell the main story. For people that haven't played the game, the main story starts very slow and only gets decent after a long time.
The strength of Arknights story is the individual background stories of each operator, the numerous side stories, that focus on a small cast, and the amazing world building.
Focusing on the weakest part of Arknights lore has me a bit worried, but so far they never did a bad job for anything, the worst was something average.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Given the ride of animated series and OVA’s on properties like this (DOTA, League of Legends), this feels like it’s right at home with the trend.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:

Well, you'll probably be disappointed because there are plenty of male characters in Arknights, even if the majority are female.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
MrTerrorist wrote:

Assuming the doctor is even in it. Let's not forget the Commander from Yostar's Azur Lane tv series never made an actual appearance if memory serves me. Just some mentions. They could do the same here and remove the main protagonist you play as and just focus on the girls. They might reference the doctor as a female, but I would wait to see if the doctor (regardless of gender) actually makes an appearance.

Except the Doctor did "appear" in the teaser and even got voiced too. Furthermore, it will be impossible to remove the Doctor since their character is an important part of the story since the Doctor is involved or connected with many characters in the game spoiler[including helping start the organization that would become Rhodes Island].
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:26 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Funimation most likely, since they have most of the gacha game like Azur lane, Fate/Grand Order, etc. This type of anime seems more like their alley.
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:28 am Reply with quote
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:

Arknights has a lot of male characters as well though. 2 of the game's over powered characters are male (Silver Ash and Thorns).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote
While the ads I see for the game haven't made me interested enough to play it, they usually made me wonder when there would be an anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1