• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dead Mount Death Play

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I’m most curious as to what happened to the real Polka’s soul? Hope we find out more about that and the reason for why the kid was killed.
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The twists revealed in episode 2 almost made my brain hurt because I was confused about what kind of story we were getting.

It was good, but if I hadn't read the preview guide before watching the show I would have been confused enough that I might not have watched the second episode. It didn't help that the CGI fight between the hero and the lich in episode 1 almost gave me a migraine with all the garishly flashing lights. And if I hadn't been watching the episode in a bright room, it probably would have given me a migraine.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:47 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
I’m most curious as to what happened to the real Polka’s soul? Hope we find out more about that and the reason for why the kid was killed.

Considering the writer I'm sure that'll come up eventually.

Also I thought Polka was controlling the drone that was floating without using its propellers?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, I wish Misaki stayed dead, it's way funnier when the show goes "see this fan service manic pixy girl character, she's totally going to stay in the story, right? NOPE, giant skeleton hand!" rather than just that being essentially retcon, and now she's the wacky side kick portable T&A.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty well sold on (the still unfortunately named,) Polka at this point. Saving the kids may be a pretty easy writing trick to illustrate that a character has some moral fiber, but its certainly deployed well here. Perhaps the more interesting bit to me was his interaction with their parents' spirits: he seemed to ask them for aid, rather than demand it. A consequence of his less powerful state, a statement of his ethics, both, or something else? Its an interesting tidbit.
I'm certainly less sure about Misaki- her being broken and suicidal is interesting, but if her characterization is going to be flat or static, then I'll likely wish she stayed dead (as opposed to undead, I guess.) Still, I like what I've seen enough to stick it out.
Vent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Sigh, I wish Misaki stayed dead, it's way funnier when the show goes "see this fan service manic pixy girl character, she's totally going to stay in the story, right? NOPE, giant skeleton hand!" rather than just that being essentially retcon, and now she's the wacky side kick portable T&A.

It's not a retcon if that was the writer's intention from the start and it happens immediately after.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
meiam wrote:

It's not a retcon if that was the writer's intention from the start and it happens immediately after.

Sure, but "Invalidate what is the most fun/interesting thing to happen in the preceding episode, therefore casting doubt on the writer ability" was kinda long so I just used retcon as shorthand that get 70% of the meaning across.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Sure, but "Invalidate what is the most fun/interesting thing to happen in the preceding episode, therefore casting doubt on the writer ability" was kinda long so I just used retcon as shorthand that get 70% of the meaning across.

The funny part was that he accidentally killed her, not that she was out of the story. I don't see anything super interesting in the later part, she's just one crazy character of many in this series, her staying dead or un-alive doesn't really change anything about the series.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:21 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
meiam wrote:

The funny part was that he accidentally killed her, not that she was out of the story. I don't see anything super interesting in the later part, she's just one crazy character of many in this series, her staying dead or un-alive doesn't really change anything about the series.

Humour work on the unexpected, Misaki has a complex design and fancy personality (as opposed to generic grunt), all of which are strong sign that she'll stick around. Unceremoniously killing her off at the end of the first episode is funny because it's unexpected that a character that's received attention was just killed off in the same episode they were introduced. But by reviving her, they just throw all that aside, now she is a real character that will continue being in the show. They could have preserved some of this by just having her being a mindless zombie, or maybe radically changing her personality, say, to a really understated one/straight man (which would have offered a humorous contrast to her unusual appearance) but didn't. Simply put, instead of building up on what was undoubtedly the best part of the first episode, they cast that aside and move on without it onto a much less interesting path.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:15 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Sigh, I wish Misaki stayed dead, it's way funnier when the show goes "see this fan service manic pixy girl character, she's totally going to stay in the story, right? NOPE, giant skeleton hand!" ... and now she's the wacky side kick portable T&A.

This is one of the very rare times I agree with you. Smile I so wish she'd have stayed gone from the series, as I have never cared for the manic pixie zombie dream girl trope and I think Takumi is enough comic relief (along with all the other chibi diversions sprinkled throughout) by himself. I guess they do need another character on the ground with Polka to show him around, but not her. Well, she would've been perfect if not for her maniacal bursts of lunacy and murderyness. Oh well, too late now.

All that aside, once they got that interminable battle in the first episode over with, this has turned out to be a surprisingly fun and interesting ride so far, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes.
DarkAudit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
evil lich king

He just wanted to be left alone, and wasn't hurting anyone who wasn't trying to hurt *him*. What's evil about that?

Quote:
If “Polka” has questions about the real Polka's life… can't he just ask the real Polka? I mean, he's right there in the drone

It's right there in the episode. The memory of his murder was so intense it obscured the memories of his past.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
meiam wrote:
Sigh, I wish Misaki stayed dead, it's way funnier when the show goes "see this fan service manic pixy girl character, she's totally going to stay in the story, right? NOPE, giant skeleton hand!" ... and now she's the wacky side kick portable T&A.

This is one of the very rare times I agree with you. Smile I so wish she'd have stayed gone from the series, as I have never cared for the manic pixie zombie dream girl trope and I think Takumi is enough comic relief (along with all the other chibi diversions sprinkled throughout) by himself. I guess they do need another character on the ground with Polka to show him around, but not her. Well, she would've been perfect if not for her maniacal bursts of lunacy and murderyness. Oh well, too late now.

All that aside, once they got that interminable battle in the first episode over with, this has turned out to be a surprisingly fun and interesting ride so far, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Does she actually count as a manic pixie dream girl when we actually get a look at what makes her tick right in the first episode?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:22 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is that it's a good thing for you Misaki haters out there that I'm not a necromancer because if I was...

*drags finger across throat*

...korosu!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:27 am Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Does she actually count as a manic pixie dream girl when we actually get a look at what makes her tick right in the first episode?

Yeah, I think so. Current behavior trumps past trauma. Though I'm not versant enough to name an example, surely there are some mpdgs that have sad pasts they've overcome to be mpdgs?

Quote:
If “Polka” has questions about the real Polka's life… can't he just ask the real Polka?

I wondered about that too. Maybe the trauma of being killed shorted-out the ghost's memories too?
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:24 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
LastPage 3 wrote:

Yeah, I think so. Current behavior trumps past trauma. Though I'm not versant enough to name an example, surely there are some mpdgs that have sad pasts they've overcome to be mpdgs?

It's not really past trauma when she tried to kill herself in the present because of her own actions, is it? She hasn't overcome anything.

And it's not like she's teaching Corpse God to embrace life or anything either

Quote:
If “Polka” has questions about the real Polka's life… can't he just ask the real Polka?

Quote:

I wondered about that too. Maybe the trauma of being killed shorted-out the ghost's memories too?

That's exactly the reasoning Corpse God used.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6