• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Psychotherapy would be something that is definetly recommended, but with the Sohma fan that probably was not a factor of treatment. Seeing as how if somebody had a problem, they would just erase the memories and give them new ones. ]Often, this is what can happen in certain Japanese structures. Everybody goes with the flow.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, Richard J. I understand what you mean: many times I feel uncapable to relate to Akito; don't get me wrong: to tell you the truth I can't relate to Tohru either since she is such a wonderful and kind character. It seems to me that they stand on two so oposite directions that I would rather be between them then on either position. Perhaps that is why I can relate to what Isuzu said in the last volume [therefore huge spoiler ahead spoiler[ that wounds felt and received would never go away and it will be big time before she could feel any better. ]

But Akito through being such a control freak about everybody's destiny made Yuki an example for the other juunishi. spoiler[By constantly tormenting him and making him feel bad about himself she wanted to make him addicted to her. It seemed to me that she wanted to destroy Yuki's self esteem so she could control him better. She tolds him at the seaside that he has always been such a lonely child to make him feel that yet again. Every weakness that she can take advantage of,she will. ]

Nevertheless I think that Akito's big mistake was to underestimate Yuki. After the scene at the seaside spoiler[she meets with Shigure and Hatori and she tells them that she has warned Yuki to stop fooling himself and then she imagined him crying somewhere on his own, all alone. She forgot about the fact that the juunishi had someone else to turn to and that she has never been such a person. She wanted to still see Yuki as weak and ready to fall under her influence and yet although he feels down when meeting with Tohru he finds the strength to speak about it and makes himself more powerful.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Funny with that because spoiler[what she was thinking they were probably thinking just the opposite about what Yuki might be doing. The fact of the matter is, that Akito with this sense of mind is pretty delusional about things. She thinks something is going to happen, and it might, for a while. But what she doesn't look at is the big picture, that other people have other plans. She is basically thinking about the now.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Funny with that because spoiler[what she was thinking they were probably thinking just the opposite about what Yuki might be doing. The fact of the matter is, that Akito with this sense of mind is pretty delusional about things. She thinks something is going to happen, and it might, for a while. But what she doesn't look at is the big picture, that other people have other plans. She is basically thinking about the now.]

That and 90% of Akito's actions revolve around delusion. They have to, really, seeing as spoiler[the curse itself is a quickly-fading illusion of true love, her control over Kureno is an illusion for the rest of the Zodiac, of course almost everything she says to other Zodiac members, Yuki in particular, is lies, and even her one most precious possession...oh, we're not there yet in the English version! Ha ha! Well, it's an illusion, too.]

So Akito's like revolves around self-deception and delusion almost more than the rest of the Zodiac, and it puts her in just as big of a cage as they're in. I guess, on that end, I find Akito to be more of a sympathetic character than many. Understand her? No. Her life situation is too far removed from mine for me to comprehend, but feel for her? Yeah, I'd say so.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
I would have to agree. I don't think that spoiler[the younger Zodiacs could understand what she went through, though in the same aspect I don't think she can fully understand what she put everybody through, namely the ones she scarred physically and emotinally, ]such as Yuki in these discussions.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
I think that Akito might never comprehend the extremes to which she went spoiler[in hurting others and I think that the best examples are Yuki and Isuzu. She has been living so much in her own world that understanding what she has done will take an awful lot of time. Yuki has been deeply hurt by Akito, so much that he didn't even stand for the colour black which he associated with his 'god' and I remember how terrified he was by his presence in the earlier volumes. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
For the most part, we saw that spoiler[Yuki was trying to stay away from everything that reminded him of his younger days at the Sohma house, as well as anything to do with Akito or his family. Fortunately for Isuzu, she found a place to stay after her encounter at the Nekotsuki. At Kazama's.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
while i certainly don't condone her actionsspoiler[Akito had a strong reason to be the way that she is. obviously her hatred of women stemmed from her hatred of the only "real" women in her life, Ren. and Ren is a total bitch. as for Yuki, she was so desperate after Kureno's curse had lifted that she went to those extreme measures to keep the one closest to him, the Rat, from "abandoning" her.]

and a completely inconsequential side note, in 13 more posts, there will be 2000 replies in this thread

Last edited by suna_suna on Wed May 07, 2008 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I look at what happened in the end, and I didn't see spoiler[Akito and Yuki really exchange a last wording with each other. ]For one that we really know, spoiler[Isuzu and Akito will never make peace,] but could it be said for Akito and Yuki?
murph76

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I look at what happened in the end, and I didn't see spoiler[Akito and Yuki really exchange a last wording with each other. ]For one that we really know, spoiler[Isuzu and Akito will never make peace,] but could it be said for Akito and Yuki?

I think Yuki spoiler[made his peace with Akito during that New Year's scene when he basically forgave her for all the torment she put him through, and she lashed out at him. I don't think anything more needs to be said because after that scene, Yuki isn't focusing on the past and Akito, he's looking ahead to his future and what he wants.] SPOILER FOR FINAL SCENE. spoiler[It would have been nice to have an Akito-Yuki moment in that last scene, but it would have been unnecessary because Akito apologized to everyone (if I remember correctly) and Yuki had long since forgiven her.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
You're right murph. spoiler[the New Years scene is when Yuki finally admits that he had been blaming Akito, and Hatori and Kyo to a lesser extent, for all of the problems he had in his life. he says that he doesn't like balming others, and that's why he forgave Akito right then and there. of course, with some strange foresight, Akito saw this as a sign that Yuki was finally moving away from the bonds that Akito pretty much pounded into his brain. she later says that Yuki was saying awful things, but really it was just a sign that he was moving on.

and Yuki also apologizes to Hatori and talks to him about when Hatori had to erase the memories of Yuki's friend when he was young, but it was only then that Yuki realized that Hatori was hurting as well. and while he has yet to apologize to Kyo, it may come soon ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's been quite a conversation that we've had so far. It's Friday now, so I wonder what we are in for next!
murph76

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, since you asked ... Wink

This week is all about Kureno and Uo-chan.

Truly a case of spoiler[love at first sight. Both really want to see the other, but Kureno feels bound to his promise to Akito and Arisa didn't know who Kureno was for the longest time. And when she found out, she wrote him off because he upset Tohru so badly. ]

I'll keep the intro short this week, because I'm hoping to participate more in the conversation. Very Happy I look forward to everyone's posts.

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Well, other than wanting to slap Kureno for keeping a promise to someone who really doesn't deserve it, I like the guy. He really didn't want to hurt Arisa with false hopes but he also felt the need to be with her. I think that denying himeself the relationship, Kureno hurt himself more than he hurt Arisa because there wasn't anyone to share his pain with.

Arisa had Tohru and Hana-chan. Not to mention Yuki and Kyo.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
Now, now. Rather than being weak, I think Kureno was especially strong in spoiler[choosing Akito over Uo. It may have been a foolish, wrong decision, but it didn't last forever, and for the time it lasted, it may have done some good, for Uo to wait long enough to realize that she really loved this guy. (After two meetings? Talk about a storybook courtship, but there are enough realistically long-term romances in this story that I'll forgive it.)

I think that what Kureno did was admirable because, for me, I'd never have been able to do something like that. He's an honest person, and really, to understand him, one would best look to Tohru. He's the living embodiment of what could happen to Tohru if she was ever finally broken by the strain that caring only for others puts on her.

Seeing as, as Kureno puts it, Kureno and Uo do barely know each other, to leave Akito would be a selfish decision, and something he knows would be wrong of him to do. He has freedom that no one else in the Zodiac does, and to take advantage of it when things are on their cusp in the curse would be against his integrity. So he waits. Stupid, harmful for Shigure, but in the long run, it's good that he does, isn't it? Give the sparrow some sympathy. Wink

On Uo's end of things, yes, she's mad for this guy. She's mad for Tohru, again, and he's like the male equivalent.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 133 of 170