• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akane Iro ni Somaru Saka (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Akane Iro ni Somaru Saka (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: arranged marriage, fanservice, harem, school, school life, tsundere

Plot Summary: One day Junichi Nagase comes across two boys tormenting Yuuhi Katagiri. When he steps in to help they run off calling him "Geno Killer". He then walks off without introducing himself or allowing the girl to either. The next day to both of their surprise she is introduced as a new transfer student to his class. The following day due to a misunderstanding he kisses her which greatly upsets her. That evening to his surprise and dismay she shows up to his door saying she is his fiancée and that she has come to live with him to evaluate him to see if he is worthy of her. Much hi-jinx ensues as the days go by.
----------------------------------

Despite my low expectations and the unsurprisingly low ratings in the Preview Guide, this didn't actually turn out to be too bad after the first episode. It fits into the category of "trashy low-budget eroge adapted romance shows" that appear in every season, but I think it's one of the better efforts in that category. Animation is pretty decent for a low-budget show, music is surprisingly good, and the voice acting features some big names, such as Rie Kugimiya and Aya Hirano. Worth mentioning both sound way different from usual and I actually didn't recognize them until I noticed slight similarities and looked them up.

The story certainly doesn't get any points for originality, but throughout the entire first episode, I actually never felt a need to slap my forehead in disgust. Although most of the cast is dull and uninspired, both the male lead and female lead are somewhat likeable characters that deviate a little from the typical character rehashes of this genre. There were plenty of cliche moments, and definitely plenty of unnecessary silliness, but I actually cared about the overarching story going on in the episode (Yuuhi x Junichi) to want to keep watching. Looks headed straight into clicheland from here on out, but the interesting dynamic between the two main characters motivates me to keep on watching.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This is certainly a lower tier series for the season, but it looks like it will provide some solid entertainment.

The characters fall fairly nicely into certain archetypes, but the series does enough with them so that they still entertain and aren't just the archetypes. In addition, the series has or hints at a few elements that should help the series raise about Just Another Harem Show, if only a little bit.

The cheesy action scenes, for one, and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them. How much this will play into the story is hard to say though. The scene just before the kiss in episode 1 also suggests the presence of an interesting element: spoiler[Psychic powers]. A line in episode 2 seems to confirm what was happening. And of course, we have the spoiler[Not Blood Related Siblings] which should spice up the romantic rivalry a bit.

Oh, and most importantly, the series has a nice humor quotient. spoiler[Minato's sideline commentary to Yuuhi's armlock (and the results in brought about) and Sleepwalk Holdup Yuuhi] amused me quite a bit. The series isn't about to reach the level of Magical Index or Toradora, but it looks to be solid entertainment.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll go ahead and cut-and-paste what I wrote about this show thus far in the preview talkback:

"With its first episode, I was thinking -and I'm sure that many other people were thinking the same thing- "ahh boy, here we go with the marraige proposal gimmick again..." and I was thus very hesitant to watch the next episode. Well, it actually surprised me to an extent. A girl who is subject to an arranged marraige is sent to live with her betrothed in order to evaluate what kind of person he is and rule whether or not he is right for her. Okay, this is a bit different from what I'm used to seeing. I'm sure glad that it wasn't something stupid like 'since you took my first kiss, we have to get married, family tradition' so it gets points for avoiding that. I guess it can also get points for having very toned down fanservice (no undergarments yet). But it still needs work on the characterization and they really need a lot of work on their comedy bits (although Jun's convo with his dad over the phone made me giggle). I'd wager that if they can keep things focussed on the relationships of the center trio and not muck things up with harem-esque love rivals they just might have a decent show. Oh yeah, and what is up with the student-president's hair?! I haven't seen a hairstyle that bothersome since Solty Rei."

to add a bit; HitokiriShadow reminded me of the arm-lock scene; yeah that was pretty funny, so I don't think its comedy is totally suck Wink . Although I think I liked Yuuhi + Jun more in the pre-kiss time, their now hostile relationship is still entertaining enough to keep me watching.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
The series isn't about to reach the level of Magical Index or Toradora, but it looks to be solid entertainment.

Yeah I agree; its at least its been more entertaining than Kemeko DX Razz .
Psyco13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
idk i liked episode 1 and 2 although i do have to admit that it's not the best show of the series but it's still good none the less spoiler[and i didn't know the sister wasn't blood related i have a feeling he'll get her in the end...assuming that she reveals she loves him which she clearly does already. ]
suchibu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
the one thing i fear most about this series is the stupid spoiler[ im mad because he stole my first kiss garbage. ] if this turns out to be another show where the lead charicter is a uber bit** then im just not going to finish it. that plot has been played out way too much lately. granted still not as horrid as kameko dx but still kinda dissapointing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
suchibu wrote:
the one thing i fear most about this series is the stupid spoiler[ im mad because he stole my first kiss garbage. ] if this turns out to be another show where the lead charicter is a uber bit** then im just not going to finish it. that plot has been played out way too much lately. granted still not as horrid as kameko dx but still kinda dissapointing.

Why do people not get it? YES, IT IS. And they will keep doing this, over, and over and over. The Japanese love repetitive, unoriginal trash, they eat it up.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Anyone still watching this? Oh well, I'll post anyways... Razz

suchibu wrote:

Based on ep 5 its looking like that's not going to be the case. Jun and Yuuhi's relationship seems to be taking a turn and the "you stole my first kiss!" *head-but* thing was absent from this episode. Its still a silly show, but its looking up. Its getting funnier, too; like with the whole "romantic sibllings" thing, "Hey Minato, let's go on a date" *Yuuhi = Shocked *. I hope it continues with what it did in ep 5, because I don't think I can tolerate another ep 4, Mad .
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm still watching it. I guess my tastes are in-line enough with Japanese otaku tastes that I devour shows like this like the discounted Halloween candy that's sitting in front of me. I have to say one of my complaints against it is with the fansub community's refusal to translate the title. along with many other titles. Seriously, would anything be lost if people called it "Crimson-Stained Slope" or something like that? The world didn't end when "Hagane no Renkinjutsuhi" was released as "Fullmetal Alchemist," or "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu" was released as "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya," after all. (And yet, "Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu" is considered special enough that it can't be released as "The Secret of Haruka Nogizaka." And "Zero no Tsukaima" is apparently untranslatable too, even though "tsukaima" is regularly translated as "familiar" within the episodes Rolling Eyes )

Okay, enough with the translation ranting, allow me to also be lazy and copy-paste from my post in AoD's discussion thread, primarily in quote/response to this post:

spoiler[[Episode 5] was just great at comic timing and messing with the audience. Well, messing with my head, anyway. Junichi popping in and saying "Minato, let's go on a date!", that's sitcom-level timing. In a good way.

[so many vertical/sideways shots]
I want to say the camera rotations are a director trademark. Yumeria, which I recently re-re-watched, has plenty of vertical and diagonal shots, and Ah! My Buddha is full of them.

[falling into river = potentially deadly cold]
But...but...they spent who knows how long during that cab ride home, plenty of time for Junichi to soak in his wet clothes! That totally justifies the Anime Instant Cold (tm) :laugh: "Just Add Water," indeed.

[bath scene, Yuuhi + Minato *drools*]
Hmm, perhaps we'll get uncensored DVD versions without the steam someday :devil: But then again, AkaSaka isn't aiming for overt fanservice all that much.

[Minato's shocking reveal/unreveal about being adopted]
It would be far more shocking and controversial for Junichi and Minato to be blood-related and not harbor any "beyond sibling" feelings for each other. I mean, we've seen the step-, adopted, and pseudo- sibling setup so many times before in this type of anime. Da Capo (hey, another Junichi!), Shuffle, Gift Eternal Rainbow, Yoake, W Wish, Kanon, Kimikiss, Sister Princess, True Tears, HaniHani, probably a few that I'm forgetting... But I get the feeling they're messing with our minds with that "I'm adopted - just kidding!" bit. For now I'm going to believe that they are related. After all, we the viewers can drool over Minato in ep4 whether she's Junichi's real sister or not.

Another highlight for me: Yuuhi tearing up at the end of the monster movie. Sooo adorable. And of course Junichi's reaction is completely different.]

-----------------
So while things are a bit uneven, and some episodes are better than others, I'm still going to be following this series, saving each episode in a folder labeled "Crimson-Stained Slope" Evil or Very Mad It's in the "above average" range of visual-novel-based anime for me. Not among the best, but far from being among the worst.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I have to say one of my complaints against it is with the fansub community's refusal to translate the title. along with many other titles. Seriously, would anything be lost if people called it "Crimson-Stained Slope" or something like that?

Personally, I think "Crimson-Stained Slope" sounds silly. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
"Fullmetal Alchemist" and "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" sounds much less silly to me; in fact they sound kinda cool. Maybe the fansubbers thought the same way as I did and that's why they translated the latter two and left the former untranslated.

This might've been what prevented fansubbers from releasing Kiminozo as "The Eternity You Wish For" or "Ai Yori Aoshi" as "Bluer than Indigo". It'd be cool if some fansubber released "Mouryo no Hako" as "Box of Goblins" though.
suchibu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
ok i have to admit that episode 5 may have salvaged some of my thoughs on the series. but to be honest i am still spoiler[ favoring a romantic relation with the step? sister then with the annoying princess.

the end of the episode also made absolutly no sence, did she admit to them the was dating him? for some one who was so adamantly against even the though of it ???

ohh and next episode is the dreaded onsen episode. where the anime tradition almost guarantees that the main charicter will in no doubt lose face to the main girl most likely without him even trying.. i think if he was smart he would just stay in his room and pre warn every girl thats going that if they end up naked in his room to not blame it on him. in fact during this entire episode he should just take some sleeping pills and pretend to not exist... that way the episode would be at least a little bit entertaining...]
yeah im expecting it to be good huh....
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
suchibu wrote:
ok i have to admit that episode 5 may have salvaged some of my thoughs on the series. but to be honest i am still favoring a romantic relation with the step? sister then with the annoying princess.

Not me, in fact I feel that Minato is the worst possibility for him. I'd favor the dumb Karen over her. Why? Because if Jun stays with her then he will forever be a pathetic lap-monkey who has to have someone do everything for him but wipe his own butt. Minato pampers him to the point where Jun can't function right on his own. Yuuhi even points it out during the whole ramen thing, talking about how "she turned him into a boy" or something like that. So for Jun's sake, he'd better avoid that trap, if he ever wants to actually grow up that is...

Quote:

the end of the episode also made absolutly no sence, spoiler[did she admit to them the was dating him? for some one who was so adamantly against even the though of it ??? ]

No.
spoiler[
Yuuhi: I'll do my best
Jun: WHA?! Best at what?!
Yuuhi: living life, I guess
Her response was not addressing the dating question, it was her own little declaration about herself, her own progress.]

I too am not looking forward to the next eppy, partly for the same reasons as you, but mostly because that incredibly lame Karen is at the center of it. I almost dropped this series because of the 4th episode, so yeah, it may be a 'get it over with' eppy for me.
But, maybe that fun pink-haired little oddball Nagomi can keep me from slapping my forhead too much. She's was a saving grace for me in ep 4; spoiler[she just strolls in out of the blue, carrying a rather large tuna fish?] I'm just waiting to see what she drums up next...
suchibu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
well as said before my prediction was mostly accurate.

it was a episoded that fetl like all they wanted to do was get him into trouble. do children in japan have no backbone? the first time some girl would have pulled that stunt on me i would have left and gone home. spoiler[ hey lets go to the ultra secret onsen that happens to have mixed bathing, lets try to convince him to go with us and after he says yes get upset with him cause he will look at us] what utter nonsence. im sorely dissapointed in a show i had on the top of my list to watch this season...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
So, episode 8, I think these kinds of thoughts were running through Yuuhi's mind: spoiler[“Shh, shh, quiet
Hurry up and get in the closet”
She said, “Don’t you make a sound
Or some shit is going down”
I said, “Why don’t I just go out the window?”
“Yes, except for one thing, we on the 5th floor”
“Shit think, shit think, shit quick, put me in the closet”
And now I’m in this darkest closet, tryin’ to figure out
Just how I’m gonna get my crazy ass up out this house Laughing Laughing Cool ]
So before getting into the final third of the series, they give an episode to Tsukasa. And in the spirit of the holiday, I sure was thankful for it. Aside from the Girls-Bravo-levels of jiggle and independent breast physics, Tsukasa was just...incredibly attractive, adorable, and endearing in this episode. I so wanted her to jokingly put down "Magical Girl" on that career survey, but I'm guessing that such things are Serious Business. Obviously she could never be anything more than a side character in the anime, but as side characters go, she's pretty good.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh geez, first I get distracted by tvtropes after deciding to post thanks to Zalis, and now I finally come to seek some relief from this show.

I just watched the whole show the last 2 days. I thought it was pretty good, not great but it did hook me at the end especially. I found the ending to be pretty good, but spoiler[kinda "icky" with the whole sister bit.] I also thought it more than a bit odd that some characters were pushing confrontation on a relationship that spoiler[ up until the very end, and then only for the viewer, do we finally get confirmation that Minato is not a blood relative. Seemingly this is a plan by his parents.]

I liked where spoiler[Yuuhi comes in at the end with the swimsuit bathing scene. I definitely can see the reason for the Minato attraction here.]

I watched the last 2 episodes in the morning before going to work, and I was very conflicted today. spoiler[ Probably because I still liked Yuuhi's character more than Minato. She just seemed to have a lot more substance to her. ]

As in many of these series, I'd like them to have gone into more of why Jun was deserving of the respect of so many women. I find in some series I can see how people would be attracted to the guy, but this is one of those where I think it wasn't that believable. He wasn't a terrible guy, but he was pretty average. I think if the series were longer they could have elaborated on the other relationships enough it would seemed a little less contrived.
cutemi2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
the OVA is out.... it's so Hardcore title....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1