• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Name: Charlie
Sex: Male
Marital Status: single
Ethnicity: German/Irish/English/Native American
Religion: none
Likes: Music, MST3K, driving (when/where there's no traffic), attending cons, watching sports on TV (baseball/hockey/football), eating, waterfalls, Warner Bros. cartoons (Bugs Bunny, etc.), Happy Tree Friends
Smoke: no
Drink: occasionally
Dislikes: job, chores, heavy traffic
Hobbies: fishing (fresh-water mostly), building car models, collecting figures, photography
Favorite Anime: Excel Saga, Lucky Star, Boogiepop Phantom, Kino's Journey (among others)
Favorite Manga: Pet Shop of Horrors, Dr. Slump

Although I distinctly remember watching "Eighth Man" as a child (and may also have watched "Gigantor") and was aware of "Astro Boy" & "Speed Racer", I did not become an anime fan at that time, and I somehow missed the 70's & 80's stuff ("Star Blazers", "Robotech" etc.). I really got into it in the early 90's when I saw "Akira" & "Ghost in the Shell". For various reasons, I did not become a collector at that time (basically went through hell economically and health-wise for 10-11 years). I finally bought a DVD player in November 2003 which is when I really started buying anime, I now have some 1300 or so DVDs (and counting, curse you TRSI). I've been hanging around the forums for some time, finally got around to registering.

Last edited by OldCharlieStoletheHandle on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Name: Online I go by GloriousMaximus (I'm not trying to be pretentious or anything lol) but GM for short is great too Very Happy

Sex: Female

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: CANADIAN Very Happy

Religion: Christian (Protestant)

Pets: A doggy! Very Happy

Drink/Smoke: Neither

Dislikes: Smelly stuff?...

Favorite anime: FMA, Azumanga Daioh, Nerima Daikon Brothers, NGE, Excel Saga, Galaxy Express 999, Gintama

Favorite Manga (Light novels): FMA, Yotsuba&!, Azumanga Daioh, NGE Angelic Days, Emma, Yakitatte Japan!, Kodocha, Gantz

Favorite Books: Welcome to the NHK, No Logo, Black like you, Halo: The Fall of Reach, 1984, Star Trek TNG: Survivors, Wittgenstein's Poker

Favorite game: Star Ocean The First Departure (I just love the blend of sci-fi and rpg, I know in the modern day it's been done a zillion days but back then we enjoyed our fansubbed SNES games, to see it on PSP with great voice acting, almost made me squee)

Favorite TV shows/Movies: The IT Crowd, V, V for Vendetta, The Office, Law and Order, Flying Circus, Dexter, The Ellen Show, The Ellen Degeneres Show, pretty much any Kathy Griffin, Ellen DeGeneres, Chris Rock or LouisCK special

Favorite Drink: Ugh haven't drank enough to have one lol

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Club soda or coca-cola

Favorite Foods:Pizza, Cheese omelettes, chips, yogurt

Favorite Sites: Topless Robot, ANN, CR, any news site (especially the CBC website got some interesting people posting there)

Favorite Sport (to watch): Martial Arts (I hate watching sports though)

Favorite Sport (to play): Marital Arts...

Favorite Music: Techno, JPop, dance, rock... anything I guess lol

Job: Analyst/student

Hobbies: Researching stuff, writing, reading, gaming

Fun facts about Delta:
I research really weird things
I go on documentary binges

Favorite Quotes:

"Next stop, little sister." The catbus on My Neighbour Totoro (one thing Fox did right lol).
"The Truth took my boxers!" Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 7
"Do you think Damn Car is Jackie Chan's code name?" Azumanga Daioh Vol. 2
"I left my gun at home so the appliances could defend themselves!" Law and Order SVU
vision1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
My online name is VISION and I'm male, and 30. And single. I do not consider myself to be an otaku or a general anime fan= I do like a lot of animation, it need not be from Japan. In anime, I tend to like older shows mostly from the 80s and early 90s. My favorite of all time being Bubblegum Crisis (the ORIGINAL not 2040) and my dedication and love of it running deep enough that I'll still be blasting it on my television when I'm 92 in a nursing home. I also enjoy hunting for obscure OAVs. That being said I really love the occasional Buried Garbage column on this site and have read every entry.
Not that I dislike anime for being new, some of the more recent titles I've fallen in love with like Now and Then, Here and There and quickly became hooked on Ghost in the Shell SAC. I veer toward hard dramas, cop shows, adventures, the "not for kids" stuff. Despite my perpetual batchelor status and the stereotypes that involves, I'm not into gaming, collecting anything, or *gasp* ecchi/hentai. I work in the computer/IT professional field, and spend nearly all of my idle time drawing. I'll probably rotate avatars of various characters I've created as time goes. I've not been on this site much, and only joined it to rate and review some of my anime. I enjoyed doing that- it's fun to be able to have your say and interact. I will probably not post on here much unless it's a topic that greatly interests me and that I actually know about- and in anime that isn't much! My anime collection is surprisingly small, but heavily watched. I'm slowly expanding it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeArtist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Marital status: married
Religion: Agnostic/Yogi
Drink/Smoke: Neither. I drink a glass of champagne at new year's, but I hate cigarette smoke. I can make a fool of myself perfectly sober, as you all know.
Favorite music: I listen to pretty much everything, except Country & Western (so sue me). At the moment I'm going through a big J-Rock phase.
Favorite sports: Don't watch any. Can't avoid ice hockey here though.
Favorite games: Don't play videogames, but I like board games - Puerto Rico is probably my biggest favorite right now. Also Carcassonne, Chez Geek and Settlers of Stone Age are other regulars.
Favorite anime: Naruto, Planetes, Princess Tutu, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fullmetal Alchemist (in no particular order)
Favorite manga: D. Gray-Man, Loveless, Banana Fish, Monster, Naruto, Bleach, Antique Bakery, NANA (in no particular order)
Likes: Friends, hanging out with them and chatting about nothing and everything. Yoga, the spiritual and physical calmness it brings me. Cosplay and cons, meeting new people and being amongst fellow geeks.
Dislikes: Stupidity. Ignorance. Unwillingness to learn. Spoilers. Seriously, you know those.

Fun facts about kolibri: Although I'm a complete geek, work in an office and code for living, I'm also a qualified yoga teacher and I teach yoga and meditation part time. So maybe that fact is not too fun, but maybe it's interesting? Also even though I live in Canada I'm not Canadian - I'm actually originally from Finland, although I haven't lived there for ten years. Was that fun? No? Well, how about this - kolibri means "humming bird" in several languages, including Finnish. It's a nickname my hubby gave me because I'm "small and briliant" - aww? I'll shut up now.

Ooh, look photos:
Yes, Delta, summer comes to Canada too.
Blond? I can do blond!
And a mandatory yoga photo

http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/1452/1/1/how-to-draw-anime-hair.htm[url] I just wanted to share this drawing lesson to all you anime/manga lovers. there is actually a lot more drawing on all sorts of anime including characters. [/url]
Dolza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Name: Rick
Sex: Male
Marital Status: Married
Ethnicity: Pale Blue Scot.
Religion: No Thank You.
Smoke: no
Drink: occasionally
Favorite Anime: Rah Xaphon, Martian Succesor Nadesico, Gundam, Nodame Cantablie, and many more.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Dolza wrote:
Favorite Anime: Rah Xaphon, Martian Succesor Nadesico, Gundam, Nodame Cantablie, and many more.

How could you misspell the name of your favorite anime? It's RahXephon, actually. Anime smile + sweatdrop
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Guess I might as well do this, seeing as I've been registered for a few months now Embarassed .

Name: Jesse Matthew Fudge (hence the jmf in my username, and yes I encourage that fun be made of my last name)
Sex:Male

Blood Type: Don't know actually Embarassed

Marital Status: Single

Religion: Bahahahahaha

Pets:None, I like cats and dogs though!

Drink/Smoke: Social drink....might have a cigar occasionally.

Likes: Mountain Biking, snowboarding, Ice Hockey (DUH CANADIAN LOL), anime and manga of course, mathematics, video games.

Dislikes: Football (sorry), douchebags (you know who you are), fanboys, Racist,stereotypical, and homophobic comments, and other stuff.

Favourite Anime: Fullmetal Alchemist, Gankutsuou, Eureka Seven, Welcome to the N.H.K, Baccano!, Black Lagoon.

Favourite Manga: 20th Century Boys, Pluto, Hellsing, MPD Psycho, Gantz, Mushi-shi.

favourite games: Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3, Silent Hill Homecoming, Resident Evil, RE4, Super Mario 64, Assassins Creed, Final Fantasy XII, etc.

Favourite tv shows/movies: Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job, Reno 911!, Arrested Development, Spaced (UK show), The Office (Uk version), Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, Jon Dore Television Show (A canadian show that EVERYONE should watch), 28 Days later, Lord of the Rings, Kill Bill, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Bruno, Borat, and lots more. Oh yeah this is more of a dvd series but I really love Mega64's work.

favourite Drink: A double London Dock Rum, either on the rocks or with coca-cola.

Non-alcoholic Drink: Red Monster energy drinks, coke, pepsi.

Favourite food: Coming from Newfoundland i really like seafood: Cod, Scallops, Mussells, shrimp,squid (calamari for those who don't know), any kind of Chinese Dish, also moose (yes again It's a regional thing)is frigging delicious.I haven't tried that much sushi, but what I've tried I've liked.

favourite music: Kings of Leon, Kasabian, The Raconteurs, the White Stripes, Queens of the Stone Age, Alexisonfire, Metric, Arcade Fire, The Stills, Wintersleep, Hey Rosetta!, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Akira Yamaoka Wink .

That's it. A winner is you.
kilaria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Name: Kilaria
Sex: Female
Blood Type: AB-
Marital Status: Married
Religion: no religion, i just consider myself a spiritual person. Wink
Pets: two chihuahuas (Loki and Belle) and one black lab (Stryder)
Likes: drawing, reading, watching my anime and reading the occational manga.
Dislikes: angry and/or impatient people
Favorite anime: Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sailor Moon, Death Note, RahXephon, Full Metal Alchemist, Wolfs Rain...
Favorite Manga (Light novels): Angel Sanctuary was quite disturbine but I couldn't pull myself away, Ranma 1/2 (honestly, have not read very many. they are just so expensive!)
Favorite Books:Interview with the Vampire, the Mists of Avalon, Black Jewel Trilogy, and loads more that I can't think of at the moment.
Favorite game: hmm... i play a lot of games... Final Fantasy X was great, will always be one of my favs. Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean: the last hope
Favorite TV shows/Movies: Dexter, True Blood
Favorite Drink: Don't Drink...
Non-Alcoholic Drink: RedBull. Rolling Eyes
Favorite Foods: Sushi, italian food, sweets... sweets are my weakness.
Favorite Music: A little bit of everything except rap and metal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! 3 non-single people on the same page. We need to throw a huge party. I'll bring the cups.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Holy crap!

Holy Christ! Unbelievable! I'll bring the pancakes.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Are you kidding me? Nobody likes pancakes. It's all about the waffles, baby. That's why they make waffle irons, not pancake irons.
kilaria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Holy crap! 3 non-single people on the same page. We need to throw a huge party. I'll bring the cups.

LOL, could it be that most of us anime loving people's are too nerdy to be in a relationship? I know my poor husband just tolerates me and my obsessions and comments constantly how he doesn't understand how he got into a relationship with such a geek. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
LOL, could it be that most of us anime loving people's are too nerdy to be in a relationship?

We, nerds, believe that humans are way too creepy and nasty, therefore we'd rather love anime characters.
Or, in case you like lies: We, nerds, believe that humans are way too lovable and sacred, therefore we'd rather resort to something less complicated and majestic.
Or, in case you'd like to hear my twisted opinion about all this: I absolutely lost my faith in humanity. Lost and helpless, I came into contact with this thing called "anime", which was apparently made for nerds and kids. During my crusade, I've finally realized how lovable female anime characters were, and that was exactly when I turned into a creepy nerd who only knows how to express himself through a keyboard.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
kilaria wrote:
LOL, could it be that most of us anime loving people's are too nerdy to be in a relationship?

For me, it's not that I'm too nerdy, it's more like I don't like being attached to one person. I've only had one relationship because that's all I could take. She was a cool chick and all, but, as corny as this sounds, I like being a free spirit. I enjoy checking out other women without feeling bad.

I'm also like egoist, just to a much lesser extent. The equation would be like King of Harts= egoist - fascination with anime girls - lost and helpless - only able to express oneself through a keyboard. Or, in simpler terms, we both don't trust others that much.

I wonder what kind of picture I just painted of myself?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I wonder what kind of picture I just painted of myself?

Are you calling me a whore? But, but, if you remove all those attributes from me you're left with Keanu Reeves. Are you Keanu Reeves?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 88 of 233