• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya's Kurumada Draws Clash of the Titans Poster

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
it's cool to see Kurumada get tagged for the promotion of a mayor motion picture, too bad his creations have had so much trouble to get an audience in the US(Saint Seiya, BT'X).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
I had heard that Kurumada was involved with Hollywood in some way recently... I guess this would be it. And people were hoping for an actual live-action Saint Seiya movie.

Anyway, now this movie suddenly went from "Not interested in it" to "Now I kind of want to watch it".
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
Oh cool. I hope we get a chance to see it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
Thats pretty cool! Cant wait to see the poster!
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
Interesting, but do we really want to see Zeus all bishounen. Wink
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Going to go see it today. But the armor being an "homage"... does that mean it contains characteristics of the armor in the manga, or does it mean that they blatantly lifted it? I'll have to see for myself, but I'm kind of skeptical due to the amount of "homages" in movies that are just thinly-disguised rip-offs.

BTW, though, I am excited to see the poster. Very Happy
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Interesting, but do we really want to see Zeus all bishounen. Wink

My biggest interest in seeing it yesterday was Liam Neeson as Zeus, dude.
I thought the armor looked to be a similar style.
http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/movie-stills/gallery/2189/clash-of-the-titans-stills#photo7
http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/movie-stills/gallery/2189/clash-of-the-titans-stills#photo28

On the other hand, if you're a stickler for mythology, you're not going to like this Clash. They play a bit fast & loose with the stories. But the Seiya influence might also be a factor in Hades as the big bad when he wasn't a major player in the '81 film.
They dis the owl. Poor owl. I remember a similar attitude amongst fanboys back then as we saw about Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars so yeah, the owl is deliberately left behind. This one feels very testosterone-driven.
I found it interesting all the gods were standing around in armor & Zeus's was very Saint Seiya God Armour sparkly
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Interesting news. I heard some bad rumours about Clash, but it's pretty obvious that my tastes usually differ from others, as I disliked Avatar despite the millions praising it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
is Saint Seiya not popular in US? because this article never mention about US.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Saint Seiya sort of missed out in the US. Had it come over around the time of Sailor Moon & DBZ, it might have had a chance, but it came over after InuYasha & maybe Naruto, so there was newer/flashier/better animated shonen coming over, so why should American audiences bother with some shonen title as old as DB? It didn't help the same group that sliced & diced Sailor Moon for American TV got to work over Saint Seiya so it could be aired on CN. ADV did a decent uncut dub, but it just never really took off & the license ends around ep 60.
Viz has just finished with the original manga.
It really is an excellent title. As it is, suggest to the average American fan Bleach owes more to Seiya than DBZ & they'll usually look at you as if you're insane.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see that poster!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
I think Saint Seiya would've had a better chance if it came out around the time of Willow.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Saint Seiya sort of missed out in the US. Had it come over around the time of Sailor Moon & DBZ, it might have had a chance, but it came over after InuYasha & maybe Naruto, so there was newer/flashier/better animated shonen coming over, so why should American audiences bother with some shonen title as old as DB? It didn't help the same group that sliced & diced Sailor Moon for American TV got to work over Saint Seiya so it could be aired on CN. ADV did a decent uncut dub, but it just never really took off & the license ends around ep 60.
Viz has just finished with the original manga.
It really is an excellent title. As it is, suggest to the average American fan Bleach owes more to Seiya than DBZ & they'll usually look at you as if you're insane.

Since Saint Seiya was really one of the first if not the first tile to have the "rescue ark" in the series if it came out earlier in the US it would have done better overall.

It's a shame that it never really took off in the US, It's one of my favorite shonen shows and I loved the manga, even though it looks so aged at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Since Saint Seiya was really one of the first if not the first tile to have the "rescue ark" in the series if it came out earlier in the US it would have done better overall.

Well, Kurumada's Ring ni Kakero was the title to introduce the "rescue arc"; in fact, the season of the RinKake anime that is airing on PPV right now is the anime adaptation of that very first rescue arc (and I can't see it in any way yet... I am so angry about that right now). If anything, you could say that Saint Seiya "perfected" the rescue arc, though.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Well, Kurumada's Ring ni Kakero was the title to introduce the "rescue arc"; in fact, the season of the RinKake anime that is airing on PPV right now is the anime adaptation of that very first rescue arc (and I can't see it in any way yet... I am so angry about that right now). If anything, you could say that Saint Seiya "perfected" the rescue arc, though.

I remember it was pretty early in that the rescue arc came along, but I couldn't remember if Saint Seiya was first or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1