• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Someday's Dreamers. I found it to be a good slice-of-life show. A mage maintaining her normalcy while practicing her magic openly in public isn't what I often see from the other magic shows that I've watched in the past. I think Someday's Dreamers did pretty well showcasing this. Smile
ayanami000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I am watching One Piece. Why? Because for me it's the best! Cool
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
Speaking of One Piece, I always hated how Anime Reviewers on the internet seem to talk crap on anime simply because they're long. Don't get me wrong, padding out a show with filler is annoying, but I can't help but notice that a lot of the complaints from these reviewers are followed up with "That's why I'll never watch the show."

I'm under the firm belief that you have no right to complain about a show or movie until you've personally sat through it. It's especially eye-roll worthy when they say things like "This anime is way better than One Piece" when they've never seen it.

Anyway, I finished watching the English dub of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Parts one and two. Great dub! Beautiful work. I was worried, but they pulled it off. But, um... do I have to hand in my Jojo fan license because I enjoyed the dub?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
This morning I got done watching Yūna Yūki Is A Hero. I had a fun time watching it, seeing the five girls live their normal lives harboring a disability that resulted from battling their enemies in their Mankai forms in an extraordinary world. The latter four episodes of the show were emotionally touching, particularly the eighth one, spoiler[in which Sonoko Nogi was bedridden]. I found that YuYuYu has done exceptionally well showing that even the disabled are capable of overcoming any challenge through persistence.
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I started watching Hellsing Ultimate a few days ago, 'cause I've already seen the original Hellsing and I wanted to compare the two shows. Ultimate started out much like its predecessor, but soon introduced some very depraved characters and I started to suspect where the show might be heading. I realized that the writers/directors behind this show had some serious psychological issues they might want to deal with, but I was also amused at some of the absurdities of the show and sat there chuckling to myself and shaking my head in disbelief. Anyway, I was still enjoying the series up to the fourth episode, but episodes 5 and 6 have turned into little but an orgy in trash talk, ultra violence and gore, which is refreshing up to a point, but soon becomes predictable and a poor substitute for what could've been an interesting story. I'd rate it 6/10 atm, but I hope it gets better soon... Rolling Eyes
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
I started watching Hellsing Ultimate a few days ago, 'cause I've already seen the original Hellsing and I wanted to compare the two shows. Ultimate started out much like its predecessor, but soon introduced some very depraved characters and I started to suspect where the show might be heading. I realized that the writers/directors behind this show had some serious psychological issues they might want to deal with, but I was also amused at some of the absurdities of the show and sat there chuckling to myself and shaking my head in disbelief. Anyway, I was still enjoying the series up to the fourth episode, but episodes 5 and 6 have turned into little but an orgy in trash talk, ultra violence and gore, which is refreshing up to a point, but soon becomes predictable and a poor substitute for what could've been an interesting story. I'd rate it 6/10 atm, but I hope it gets better soon... Rolling Eyes

It doesn't really get much better. I mean, sure, you could say that episodes 7 and 8 are the high point, but... if you're not into it now, those probably won't change your mind. Hey, at least it has a stellar dub full of people who you NEVER hear. Aside from Crispin Freeman's Alucard and Yuri Lowenthal's Pip, the entire main cast is only in this anime and like... one or two more. I'm pretty damn sure Alexander Anderson's VA isn't even in anything else.

In my opinion, the best moment of the OVA series is still the Major's speech from episode four.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
In my opinion, the best moment of the OVA series is still the Major's speech from episode four.

You kidding? Best moment was easily spoiler[Seras' transformation and Seras grinding Zorin's face against the wall.] I thought Hellsing Ultimate was just glorious. I watched it subbed, because the last episode wasn't dubbed back then and because I also watched the original subbed. I have never listened to the dub, but I can't imagine anyone being able to sound as badass as Jouji Nakata.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

You kidding? Best moment was easily spoiler[Seras' transformation and Seras grinding Zorin's face against the wall.] I thought Hellsing Ultimate was just glorious. I watched it subbed, because the last episode wasn't dubbed back then and because I also watched the original subbed. I have never listened to the dub, but I can't imagine anyone being able to sound as badass as Jouji Nakata.

I'm glad to see that you can state your opinion so objectively. Regardless, Seras is a close second. Maybe The Major's speech wasn't as epic in your opinion because the Japanese version wasn't as good. Maybe I just like it for different reasons. Regardless, I've seen the show both ways and I have to say that Crispin Freeman is almost as good as Jouji Nakata. If not as good. I just can't say that either one is better by any large margin.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Come on, no need to be so uptight. Laughing I wasn't being entirely serious. For some reason I get attached to the language I originally watch the show in. It's really difficult for me to go and watch a show in different language because it just feels.. off. And you have to admit, Integra yelling "Search and destroy!" in glorious engrish is hilarious.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Come on, no need to be so uptight. Laughing I wasn't being entirely serious. For some reason I get attached to the language I originally watch the show in. It's really difficult for me to go and watch a show in different language because it just feels.. off. And you have to admit, Integra yelling "Search and destroy!" in glorious engrish is hilarious.

I can understand why people would have difficulty watching a show in one language after seeing it in another, but I haven't had that problem too much.

I admit it's "hilarious" but in the same way that Code Geass' Engrish is pretty funny. Besides, the real gem is Alexander Anderson's Engrish in the first episode.
MrSharingan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I was watching gangsta but had no more new eps thought I'd give Seraph of the end a try and god dam... The first episode was epic and now I'm hooked..
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I actually really like Akane. Like, ridiculously so. She's our Madoka for this show, in that she's a bit naive and unsure of herself, and all she really wants is to find her purpose in life. Through her, we are introduced to the Sibyl System, where if your Psycho Pass runs too high, you are labeled as a criminal to be sent hunting for those who are far gone.

I guess Psycho Pass is a criticism of the coockie cuter nature of Japanese society. I have the impression that Japanese society is very punishing to those who deviate from the norm. At least more so than western societies. Though I might be wrong here.

Quote:
Also, am I the only one who noticed the juxtaposition of the cute and the grotesque? We have Akane's adorable jellyfish hologram buddy, the plush designs of the robots, and the costumes that Akane and Masaoka wear in Episode Two. Reminds me of Paranoia Agent when I think about it.

I guess it's a common element of Urobuchi's work to have that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I actually really like Akane. Like, ridiculously so. She's our Madoka for this show, in that she's a bit naive and unsure of herself, and all she really wants is to find her purpose in life. Through her, we are introduced to the Sibyl System, where if your Psycho Pass runs too high, you are labeled as a criminal to be sent hunting for those who are far gone.

I guess Psycho Pass is a criticism of the coockie cuter nature of Japanese society. I have the impression that Japanese society is very punishing to those who deviate from the norm. At least more so than western societies. Though I might be wrong here.

Quote:
Also, am I the only one who noticed the juxtaposition of the cute and the grotesque? We have Akane's adorable jellyfish hologram buddy, the plush designs of the robots, and the costumes that Akane and Masaoka wear in Episode Two. Reminds me of Paranoia Agent when I think about it.

I guess it's a common element of Urobuchi's work to have that.

Glad to know that I'm American and know nothing of Japan's sociology, yet am able to appreciate Psycho Pass. I wonder how many other beloved anime are actually more Japan-centered in their messages.

Anyway, rewatching Monster on Amazon Instant Video. I love the dub. Why isn't there a DVD release?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
...Anyway, rewatching Monster on Amazon Instant Video. I love the dub. Why isn't there a DVD release?

But there is. You just need an all region player/software. Siren Visual has been selling the individual volumes for a year now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
I should mention that there is a common saying in the Japanese language that goes like this: "The nail that sticks out will be hammered down". Both of our interpretations are equally valid, and I think that's what's so great about Urobuchi's works. You can say pretty much anything about them, and chances are, most interpretations are just as correct as the other. I've only seen two episodes, and I already love Psycho-Pass.

Also, I can't wait to start Monster this fall/winter. That one's going to be after I finish Death Note.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 871 of 1062