• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf, Viki License The Rose of Versailles Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote
Hey, don't resent me because something is different about you. You didn't cry over the ending? I'm sorry to hear this. I said absolutely nothing against people with xerophthalmia. I just made an observation that you may have it. People with xerophthalmia can live normal lives, and with proper treatment can eventually cry again. I cheer you on, man!

But for people who have the ability to cry... Real men cry.

I wish you the best on your challenge boys (and ladies?)! Fight-o! Fight-o! But have a box of tissues just in case, otherwise you'll be running to the bathroom for some TP.

Rose of Versailles doesn't have a good ending. It's an epic conclusion to all hanging story lines worthy of 1812 Overture, or Schönberg's I Dreamed a Dream. After 41 episodes of fantastic character development and political intrigue that ending is no less than perfection. You couldn't end it any other way and make it better. That is excellent. Sure there may have been some episodes up to that point that weren't up to the perfection of the ending, but the only thing that to this day can make that ending better is an upgrade with modern animation, which Toei has sadly put on the back burner.

I'm still waiting for this damn movie Toei, where is it? It's been almost 5 years since you showed this thing. It taunts us!

This anime and manga have stayed relevant to Japan and France with it being over 30+ years old, and there is something to that. If you're incapable with watching an old anime and recognizing why people connect to the characters so easily, what it has done to the industry, or why people are moved by the storyline, that's you. But time reveals the classics and very few other anime are at the status of Rose of Versailles.

I've got a whole list of classic movies I'm sure you've never seen or wouldn't think they're excellent, but to deny their relevancy and groundbreaking roles in cinema is just ignorance. Rose of Versailles is one of the obvious classics of anime, and because of that everyone needs to give it a try at least once.

Unless you hate all things shojo or really really hate all things French. Then you might want to stay away.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
You didn't cry over the ending?

I didn't cry. It was hard to take the story seriously, which sort of takes away from the ability to cry.

But you're a girl. It's not a coincidence here, a show aimed at girls, who are well-recognized to be much more empathic than their testosterone-filled counterparts.

Theron will cry, though. He's really a girl anyway. Take comfort in that.
Twisted Evil
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
Hmm, we are a very emotional bunch, aren't we? And it is one of those stories where you sort of know how it's going to end from the beginning, unless you didn't pay attention in World History class. And Literature when you were forced to read Tale of Two Cities or Les Misérables.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that the announcement describes the series as having forty episodes, but the encyclopedia and a few people in this thread have referred to forty one. Is one of the episodes a clip show, a "Cucuruz Doan's Island" case or just omitted from the advertising copy because, 'forty," sounds snappier?

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Hmm, we are a very emotional bunch, aren't we?

As these results suggest, the membership here is not predominantly the 'feeling' type.

As for me, I'm looking forward to an emotionally powerful finale and am quite susceptible to them. I relish something that can rouse me to weep, they're a hallmark of many of my favorite anime, but only if it earns it. (Angel Beats!, for example, did not earn it; I felt only a few meager twinges of sorrow the whole time)

littlegreenwolf wrote:
And it is one of those stories where you sort of know how it's going to end from the beginning, unless you didn't pay attention in World History class.

I was great in history! There's an up-tempo musical number and everybody gets free ice cream, right?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:16 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
I don't think whether someone cries or not really matters. We all respond to things differently. I remember crying at the end but then I am a huge sap (pretty much every other episode of Natsume Yuujinchou makes me tear up).

However whether you cry or not does not signify whether something is a masterpiece. Of course Rose of Versailles is a masterpiece. It's a series from 1979 and we are all completely excited about its release.

It has also definitely stood the test of time in Japan and is still very much beloved over there.

Now I understand the story might not work for everyone. For some people it might just be really good and not excellent. However I am not really sure what we can judge a series worth by if we are only going by our personal opinion.

If you look at Rose of Versailles influence then doesn't that make it worthy?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
I will likely cry. And good thing too ... it's one of the ways my manly body gets rid of excess testosterone.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I've noticed that the announcement describes the series as having forty episodes, but the encyclopedia and a few people in this thread have referred to forty one. Is one of the episodes a clip show, a "Cucuruz Doan's Island" case or just omitted from the advertising copy because, 'forty," sound snappier?

There is an OVA that is a summery show that might be included in some episode counts. But the number of tv episodes is 40.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
It sounds weird to watch a Japanese cartoon with a French dub while reading English subtitles. I mean, I'd probably watch it that way since I've never listened to a French dub before, but it still sounds odd to do.

I don't even know if I'd watch the whole series like that, but it would definitely make the DVD's more collectible. Nozomi would make the same argument for it that you'd make for any existing extra materials ~ toss them in and it will improve sales and your royalties go up. Mind, while they might ask, its not enough of a bennie to fight for.

This is all about an existing dub, since Nozomi only picks up titles that other's have passed on. Post-bubble, R1 distributors don't pass on series that can support a new dub.

So a big part of it hinges on whether the there is an active french license. If not, the rights to the dub would have surely reverted. OTOH, if so (1) the french license holder would have to have non-exclusive rights to the dub, since Nozomi's release could not support a second contracting cost, and (2) the french license holder not objecting to the dub being used in an R1 release, since the Japanese licensor is not going to do it if it will generate a pushback.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
And people who claim it's just good, and that it's sort of blown out of proportion, I don't think you watched the same show. If you aren't crying your eyes out by the final episode, you either fell asleep at some point, or just weren't paying attention or you are lacking the physical ability to cry.
dtm42 wrote:

See, it is insulting comments like this that I suspect will push a lot of younger fans to resent how this show is being overhyped. ...

I know I have seen posts on this site that are insulting ... but that wasn't one of them. If someone read's littlegreenwolf's post as insulting, they just have a chip on their shoulder looking for an excuse to feel insulted.

A grown up response to littlegreenwolf's hyperbole, expressing strong enthusiasm for the series, would be more like, "what you are talking about involves getting emotionally involved in the series, and there's no way that everyone gets equally emotionally involved in a given work of entertainment."

Indeed, as has already been mentioned above, steroid overdose, including organic testosterone poisoning, can certainly interfere with the user's ability to experience emotional empathy. So one solution for those suffering from organic testosterone poisoning is to wait ten or twenty years until the condition has started to pass and try again.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Hmm, we are a very emotional bunch, aren't we? And it is one of those stories where you sort of know how it's going to end from the beginning, unless you didn't pay attention in World History class. And Literature when you were forced to read Tale of Two Cities or Les Misérables.

You were forced to read Tale of Two Cities and Les Misérables? Count yourself lucky, I was forced to read our national classic where some dude spends the first hundred pages riding over a bridge.

I didn't cry even then.

P.S. World History was fun. I kept the head count.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
I want Nozomi to get Goldfish Warning! next Smile

Akazukin Chacha first! Razz

Nozomi: for all your shoujo needs

They can make a killing off of old shows like these.

How about cardcaptor sakura and skip beat then. those two the next really popular shojo titles that are stuck in licensing hell.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Nozomi: for all your shoujo needs

They can make a killing off of old shows like these.

Probably not. But they can make a tidy little profit, and that's what they are aiming for.
dgsimmons

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I'm still waiting for this damn movie Toei, where is it? It's been almost 5 years since you showed this thing. It taunts us!

I got my hands on a PAL copy of the RoV movie on VHS years ago. You're not missing much; it's not very good. The tape still on my shelves somewhat, but my scanning VCR that let me watch PAL tapes broke down awhile ago, so I guess it's going to stay where it is.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
A grown up response to littlegreenwolf's hyperbole, expressing strong enthusiasm for the series, would be more like, "what you are talking about involves getting emotionally involved in the series, and there's no way that everyone gets equally emotionally involved in a given work of entertainment."

So if I didn't cry then I didn't get emotionally involved? What? Emotional involvement does not equal bawling your eyes out. I think what you meant is that crying involves getting sufficiently emotionally involved in a work. Except, some people tear up over the smallest things, while others remain stoic in the face of overwhelming tragedy. In other words, you can't take someone's physical reaction as proof of what they actually felt.

littlegreenwolf's remarks were insulting, because - as I've already stated - it was dismissing everyone who didn't share their opinion of the series as either having not paid attention or lacking the physical capacity to cry. I did get emotionally invested in the series, and I certainly paid attention. But I didn't cry. That doesn't make me deficient, it doesn't mean I don't have tear ducts. People who easily cry may have cried, but I've seen better-written and more moving endings (all of which came out after Rose of Versailles, but that doesn't matter).
niastyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[quote="willag"]HOLY MOTHER F***ING $#$%^@#$^!$#%@#$^@$#%@$#!!!!

I'm going to f***ing cry.

There are no appropriate words or gifs that effectively capture my reaction.

My day has been made."

I could not have said it better myself. You just conveyed all the joy, excitement, and all around Otaku-ness I feel in my heart right now. I can't stop smiling. And my co-workers think I'm crazy, especially since I told them why I was smiling after I finished cheering and throwing my hands in the air Banzai style.

I admit, I own a bootleg, crappy, probably copied from VHS version. And that's only cause I couldn't get a legal version. But you better believe I will be the first to buy this one. As soon as it's on Amazon, or RightStuf, I'm gonna get my pre-order on. I hope it has an english dub.

I have been writing emails and signing petitions ever since I heard of this anime. And then when I SAW it, I wrote twice as many. I never thought, though I hoped and prayed, that I would ever see this anime. One of the company's I wrote to, told me it was highly unlikely that anyone would ever license this anime because of it's age and lack of interest. Well, to them I say ....HA!!
roseversailles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I am LITERALLY CRYING RIGHT NOW! My favorite anime, one I thought would never see the light of day...I've been living off of old laserdisc fansubs all this time! That settles it, I will be buying multiple copies of the sets to last my lifetime...Oscar in HD....*swoon* This is THE definitive shoujo, imo, and I cannot wait to marathon this sucker...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11