• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Thunderbolt Fantasy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
well , if he wanted to messa round with our heroes/heroines, he already succeeded since the first episode.

v1cious wrote:
Dat stick tho Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

sticalibur !
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^If Lancer didn't meet his maker this time around, I doubt he will in the future. In fact, my theory is that Archer will die and Lancer will become the hero his master pretended to be, maybe even inherit the title of One-Eyed-Whatever

Well, the first half of my prediction already came true, and with Lancer losing his eye, I'm really confident about that second part. The parallel is too obvious for Urobuchi to miss it Very Happy

I can't believe Gabriella didn't mention how Saber literally blasted a dude's ribcage out of his body. That was definitely one of the coolest scenes in the show
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it means that the characters are immediately endearing based on their actions in the present and contributes to the economy of his storytelling.

Well, yes and no. I'll be disappointed if all we get about Rurouni Bù is that he's merely unknown in this land, but is famous at home. There needs to be more to him than that. Like why did he come to this land in the first place?

I'm also just a tad miffed about his sword being wood, since when he fights with it, you hear the clang of metal on metal rather than wood on metal. I mean, that's gotta be some seriously metal paint he's using there.

Every time I see Juǎn Cán Yún I read it as either Juan Can Cook or Juan Cancún. >.<

Really looking forward to the ending of this. Very Happy
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
That's quite the fitting end for Archer this episode. Aside from being stupid enough not to see the Necromancer as an enemy being a demon and all, who's to say ruthless character like the Big Boss wouldn't start dominating the world and killing everybody with the sword. If you care so much about staying alive, escaping with the guard would be the wisest choice in the first place.

I like how the blade turns out to be a mere wood. A cool concept to reveal Saber's power. I don't like the reasoning on why Saber chose to do so, though. He killed his enemies left and right without seemingly much remorse. For him to feel bad about using a real blade feels out of place.

The finale seems to be shaping up quite nicely, though. Hopefully the battle will be the exact opposite of Archer's end, a lot more climactic.
danshyu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
I like how the blade turns out to be a mere wood. A cool concept to reveal Saber's power. I don't like the reasoning on why Saber chose to do so, though. He killed his enemies left and right without seemingly much remorse. For him to feel bad about using a real blade feels out of place.

Technically he hasn't casually killed anybody until his disguise was blown this last episode. Before he has only chopped off an underling's arm, and he killed the first subordinate in the first episode because he was looking for a real duel of life and death. Afterward, he just killed a buncha zombies and a golem. Neither of which can really be considered alive.
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
danshyu wrote:
casualfan wrote:

Technically he hasn't casually killed anybody until his disguise was blown this last episode. Before he has only chopped off an underling's arm, and he killed the first subordinate in the first episode because he was looking for a real duel of life and death. Afterward, he just killed a buncha zombies and a golem. Neither of which can really be considered alive.

More like he has NOT casually killed anybody, period. So far he's only killed to defend himself or help his allies, unless I completely misunderstood what casual means. I guess for me, if you're willing to kill someone, whether it's by a bb gun or an assault rifle it doesn't make much difference. That's my major disconnect with the character.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
^The point is not about feeling remorse -which it's implied he does- but to physically suffer the burden of taking a life. By using wooden swords, the amount of strength he has to use to fight is outlandish and it leaves him pained and exhausted, and to him that brings on the weight of human life and keeps him from forgetting that cutting someone down should be a hard thing to do.
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^The point is not about feeling remorse -which it's implied he does- but to physically suffer the burden of taking a life. By using wooden swords, the amount of strength he has to use to fight is outlandish and it leaves him pained and exhausted, and to him that brings on the weight of human life and keeps him from forgetting that cutting someone down should be a hard thing to do.

In that case, he should've used a feather cause that would make killing a lot more exhausting for him. Laughing
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
'd be disappointed if that were true – it hasn't been foreshadowed at all, and there's already another hero whose entire deal is Being Good At Swords.

Didn't Merlin call the old sword master who Assassin killed his teacher?

He might've picked up a few skills or something, maybe enough to hold him off or ruse him with the power of weed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

I was laughing so hard at Caster's Happy Dance at the open. Laughing I'm not quite clear what happened to her though - did she get eaten by/merge with the Mantis Dentata? (fantastic demon design, btw)

Tenten! How you've changed! Very Happy I'm pleased that they gave me what I asked for last week, a reason why Rurouni Bù came here.

A couple of times there I though poor Lord Maybelline was getting frustrated enough to tear his eyelashes out.

I'm quite pleased by it all. I really hope Urobuchi continues lending his writing to this next season and not just his name.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this continued to be good throughout it's run. I hope a japanese name subtitle version comes out though, I found it annoying enough to drop it for now, but I'd like to keep watching it again some day.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 13

I was laughing so hard at Caster's Happy Dance at the open. Laughing I'm not quite clear what happened to her though - did she get eaten by/merge with the Mantis Dentata? (fantastic demon design, btw)

Tenten! How you've changed! Very Happy I'm pleased that they gave me what I asked for last week, a reason why Rurouni Bù came here.

A couple of times there I though poor Lord Maybelline was getting frustrated enough to tear his eyelashes out.

I'm quite pleased by it all. I really hope Urobuchi continues lending his writing to this next season and not just his name.

I was expecting a demons area former humans thing, using saber as a previous human now demon, it was fresh that he finalyl avoided the/his trope.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella wrote:
Even the embodiment of blindsighting can still be blindsighted

If you did not mean blindsided, then I think I'll need an explanation, as I'm not seeing what you're saying. While I'm picking, it should be the "Dān clan", not "clain," and the last sentence of the sixth paragraph could use a conjunction of some sort.

I am such a sucker for full-circle endings, and when that parasol came back to the Buddha, I applauded in delight. It really was a marvelous wrap, and it got top marks from me too. Smile

Thanks for the fun reviews!
Gabbomatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Gabriella wrote:
Even the embodiment of blindsighting can still be blindsighted

If you did not mean blindsided, then I think I'll need an explanation, as I'm not seeing what you're saying.

You could say I got blindsighted by that false cognate. OTL
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the show, and I'm glad it's getting another season. I wish it would come out on BluRay over here already.

The last episode was very good, though I have to admit, as kickass as it might have been, it was a bit anticlimactic in how spoiler[both the major antagonist and the demon were taken down so easily]. I guess I look forward to future seasons though, where hopefully it'll be a little more up in the air in that regard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11