• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece's Luffy, DB's Goku Top Fuji TV's Anime/Tokusatsu Hero Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
10 Oscar François de Jarjayes (Rose of Versailles)

Nice. Cool

Quote:
I love the Lupin gang and Char as much as the next guy but Hero is sort of pushing it. Then again to me Hero and protagonist are two different things.

Indeed. In fact Doraemon apparently isn't even in the top 50, where as you can bet he would be near if not at the top if it was a 'favorite protagonist' poll. ^^

Last edited by Kutsu on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Anyone who understands Son Goku at all would hesitate to call him "heroic" per se. Saving the day seems to come second to having exciting fights with powerful guys. He still does it, mind you, but not entirely for the right reasons all the time.

Bulma: We could use the dragon balls to locate Dr. Gero and stop him before he executes his master plan, thereby potentially saving countless lives at a minimal risk!
Goku: But I really wanna fight the androids!

Exactly.

I think a lot of people followed the dub and thought Goku was some Japanese Superman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Luffy's not really a hero himself. He's more of an anti-hero.
He even said it himself that he doesn't like being a hero.
Luffy wrote:
We're pirates! I love heroes, but I don't want to be one! Do you even know what a hero is? For example, let's say you have some meat.
Pirates would eat the meat, but a hero would share it with everyone else. I want to eat the meat!

Last edited by MasterKingJC on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that Minami continues to thrive in these sort of polls.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Definitely pleased to see Goku and Luffy at the top, with Lupin following after (even if his 'hero' status is very questionable), but I'm saddened that Kenshin is so low on the list. And no Yusuke Urameshi?

That and, while Goku and Luffy may do the right thing for not always the right reason, I'm not really sure that stops them from being called 'heroes', personally. It just makes them a more interesting kind of hero rather than the squeaky clean kind that a lot of you seem to think of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Definitely pleased to see Goku and Luffy at the top, with Lupin following after (even if his 'hero' status is very questionable), but I'm saddened that Kenshin is so low on the list. And no Yusuke Urameshi?

That and, while Goku and Luffy may do the right thing for not always the right reason, I'm not really sure that stops them from being called 'heroes', personally. It just makes them a more interesting kind of hero rather than the squeaky clean kind that a lot of you seem to think of.

Do I sense a condescending tone here? I think the terms hero and heroine might not work well in these kind of polls. Like several of you have pointed one, the term protagonist would have worked better.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I think a lot of people followed the dub and thought Goku was some Japanese Superman.

"You can destroy planets, but you can never destroy what I am. I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer for all living things which cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am.. truth. Ally to good, nightmare to you!"

I guess it depends how people define 'hero'. Luffy still saves villages from bad pirates, and Goku still hates seeing people suffer under Freiza's wrath. Some might say that's good enough.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

"You can destroy planets, but you can never destroy what I am. I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer for all living things which cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am.. truth. Ally to good, nightmare to you!"

This speech is such bullshit. It's nowhere near what he originally said in Japanese in that scene and it's way out of character for Goku. "Hope of the universe"? Goku doesn't know what the universe is! Goku isn't sophisticated enough to make a speech like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Top 50 Animated and Live-Action Special-Effects Protagonists

What a stuffy and drab title for a Television poll about cartoons and grown men dressing up in tights. A bunch of People really need to get that stick out of their butts.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
No Inuyasha? No Gintoki Sakata? No Tsubasa Oozora? No Yusuke Urameshi? No Pegasus Seiya? No Ichigo Kurosaki? No Sakura Kinomoto? No way!

Note: Added more

Last edited by sainta on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
vallum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I think you're all giving too much emphasis on the word 'hero'. In Japanese, 'hero' actually means protagonist. There's no distinction between hero and protagonist when you say the word in Japanese, be the character evil or not.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Luffy score so high, though I am dissapointed that yuske urimeshi isn't on the list, he was a awesome 90's "hero" oh well, at least edward elcric is on, I just thought he'd be a bit higher. random spiderman FTW.

As far as the whole hero thing its not really meant to be taken literally, heck alot of main characters I've seen sofar have had nothing to do with seeking justice, but doing what THEY feel is right. thus I take "hero" as a grain of dust

spoiler[ BTW why isn't kamijou touma on the list? ] JK Anime hyper

well, fun is fun after all, and thats really what the poll is, I suppose
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Wow, I'm really surprised Spiderman made this list! Anime hyper It seems to lean toward a list of favorite protagonists though, instead of best heroes.

The Spiderman they are talking about is probably the 70s Tokusatsu Spiderman considering the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxGtH-2duM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
Haha, Shinji Ikari that high! Laughing

And after all these years, still Heidi and Anne Shirley.

And Snow White, really? Laughing

Tris8 wrote:
Wow, I'm really surprised Spiderman made this list! Anime hyper It seems to lean toward a list of favorite protagonists though, instead of best heroes.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Guess people everywhere just like a least-superpowered superhero. Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
vapwaazu wrote:
The Spiderman they are talking about is probably the 70s Tokusatsu Spiderman considering the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxGtH-2duM

I like how he pulls out a machine gun and shoots up the bad guys. Simple and straight forward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3