• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami to Get 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets Under Proposed Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'd love uncut previous shows, I don't think it matters for people who aren't watching fansubs. Just seeing comments here and in other threads from people who never watched the original version, it's clear they wouldn't give the uncut version a try as they seem to have already made up their mind based on the terrible 4Kids dub, or even going so far as to call it "good", or "fitting". I'll just assume they say that out of blind nostalgia for my own sanity's sake.

But they should redub ZeXal since it's early enough. Make that uncut and go from there. Appeal to a new generation with uncut anime rather than the crotchety old generation who already made up their mind and are close-minded.

Of course, we know that won't happen, but it was just a thought.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Even if they did do an uncut release of yugioh Konami is a Japanese company we'd be looking at a pricey release. Konami is more interested in keeping the current anime on the air so it can keep selling trading cards.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope it gets an immaculate uncut release just so people can stop talking about Yugioh, forever.

I might be wrong, but I could have sworn uncut dvds were released and nobody bought them.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't know what to think about this.

I do wonder if that means we'll get proper home video releases, but with the legal stuff over Yugi's voice actor in Japan, probably won't happen. Best we'd get is an uncut dub-only release.

BTW, the edited DVD's be OOP.
http://www.amazon.com/Yu-Gi-Oh-The-Complete-First-Season/dp/B0000ZG0A4
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope it gets an immaculate uncut release just so people can stop talking about Yugioh, forever.

I might be wrong, but I could have sworn uncut dvds were released and nobody bought them.
Yup, along with Shaman King, but they didn't sell well, and were canned after a few volumes.

Speaking of Shaman King, I'll wonder if we'll ever see that again here.

Last edited by BigOnAnime on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It was more like the uncut releases was competing against 4kids' edited product so 4kids decided to stop the uncut releases altogether.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It was more like the uncut releases was competing against 4kids' edited product so 4kids decided to stop the uncut releases altogether.

Not to mention they were pretty shoddy and used dub names and terms.

Not very uncut... best you got was "Joey Katsuya" which is dumb since Katsuya is his first name, Jounouchi was his last.. they gave him two first names.

Most people I know didn't buy them for that. I wonder if it was on purpose so they could say "Ah, see, no one bought them, let's focus on edited only"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That's because they weren't immaculate, and lacked Japanese language tracks, right? But then again, I have no idea if Yugioh is in that awkward position Sailor Moon resides in:

Do the fans want the nostalgia factor by using old dub/edit names, or do they want a true translation?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
But then again, I have no idea if Yugioh is in that awkward position Sailor Moon resides in:

Do the fans want the nostalgia factor by using old dub/edit names, or do they want a true translation?

Always respect the original version. People who would ever actually want a whitewashed, hacked up dub don't really deserve a say in the matter.
Yugiboy12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I want Konami to do subtitles of all uncut Japanese versions of every Yu-Gi-Oh series and officialy stream it on Hulu or other official sites that stream shows! That would be cool!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh seems like the type of show where a handful of people clamor for uncut versions and then try to find any reason possible not to purchase the uncut version.

Something as "unforgivable" as using English name order when translating into English would probably make 50% of all 20 people clamoring for uncut versions not buy it.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, there were "uncut" DVDs that had a new translation. However, they were "dub-titled". The only difference between the two (yes, two) subtitle tracks was that the one for the original Japanese version simply substituted the "dub" names for the original Japanese names, which is an insult to anyone's intelligence. IMHO, that was the most likely reason why they failed. Oh yeah, they also had unskippable ads for WWE action figures as well. That may have been another reason.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Released, but poorly handled. 4Kids used some sort of subtitles that were horrible (hardcoded yellow subtitles or something like that), the release was poorly advertised, and there is some debate on how the sales figures are (4Kids fudged the numbers, the series was successful but the "true" sales figures were suppressed, etc.).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVision wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh seems like the type of show where a handful of people clamor for uncut versions and then try to find any reason possible not to purchase the uncut version.

Something as "unforgivable" as using English name order when translating into English would probably make 50% of all 20 people clamoring for uncut versions not buy it.

Well that's a pointless slam against an entire fanbase for no reason.

Anyway, they never bothered to re-dub Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Shaman King, Ojamajo Doremi, Digimon, or anything else from 'back in the good old day', so I doubt Yu-Gi-Oh will either since it's much longer/edited than those shows. More work.

Best you could hope for is a cheap, limited, budget release like early Sailor Moon got (with missing episodes and questionable picture/sound quality.

If you're a fan of shows from that era, you're kind of screwed. There's a reason people didn't want anime on TV back then; less likely for a proper release. At least there's always subs, though.

Last edited by TitanXL on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
I get the feeling we're no closer to an uncut release than we were before.

Mainly because no one actually cares about this show.

You'd be surprised how popular this show still is let alone the card game both in Japan and worldwide. 5D's was a big hit despite how big of a flop GX was. I'm not too sure about ZEXAL's reception at the moment, but it's probably too early to say even with 50+ episodes already out.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Overall I am declaring this a victory for me and other anime fans that can't stand 4kids' ineptness when it comes to working with anime. Very Happy

I wanted to see 4kids loose the rights to the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise since they have proven themselves to be unable to work with Yu-Gi-Oh!. For example, they prematurely ended both GX and 5D. With 4kids loosing the franchise, that's good enough for me to be happy.

In regards to the uncut availability talk, I heard 4kids' "uncut" version can barely be called "uncut" due to the minimal changes 4kids made and that it was done poorly. That's why the DVD's didn't sell well. But if another company wants to make it uncut, then that's a different story since we are talking about a different company.

When I say uncut, i mean an unedited dubbed version. I don't mind subs, but when i am watching a tv show, i prefer to listen to it in my own language rather than read translated subtitles. Also, an unedited dub would avoid all the legal problems that the subs has due to the fact that the Japanese voice actors wouldn't be involved in an unedited dub. And to address the problem of who would buy it, the company that edits it could simply stream the unedited dub online and pay for them via online advertisers. That way people would have easy access to watch them while the company still gets paid.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5