• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Neo Geo Console Revived in Authorized Remake in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Saffire wrote:
If its big claim to fame is being "arcade perfect", that's not much of a base to wax nostalgic on. For the most part, its only of interest to dedicated fighting game players.
It is though if you grew up when arcades were still around and you wanted a neo-geo at home but it was too expensive. And its not only of interest to fighting games, but fans of arcade games.
As someone who did grow up with arcades...meh, if you say so. I'm not sold on the concept that there's something attractive about the Neo Geo outside of its fighting game repertoire though; most of the significant ones did get ports, even if they weren't "arcade perfect".
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
This is how you know 90's nostalgia is reaching its critical point. Was anyone waxing nostalgia over the Neo Geo? Like, at all?

I don't even know anyone who owned a Neo-Geo. My only exposure to it was in arcades and through the Genesis port of Art of Fighting.

And why the hell did SNK charge an arm and a leg for the old consoles and the games? Not all gamers are among the 1%!
Regannator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Not all gamers are among the 1%!

That's the whole idea. Laughing
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:
This is how you know 90's nostalgia is reaching its critical point. Was anyone waxing nostalgia over the Neo Geo? Like, at all?

I don't even know anyone who owned a Neo-Geo. My only exposure to it was in arcades and through the Genesis port of Art of Fighting.

And why the hell did SNK charge an arm and a leg for the old consoles and the games? Not all gamers are among the 1%!

To be fair it was a smaller version of a arcade cabinet and was not cheap to make at all. Even at $7-800 they probably were not making a huge profit on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:

To be fair here, we were all just Nintendo or Sega fanboys back then, so we dismissed other consoles offhand.
(Actually, a few friends did have Neo-Geo and 3DO.)
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
As it happens, emulation of the Neo-Geo is now possible on hardware one fifth of this console's price. Such a comparison, it must be admitted, overlooks the inclusion of the laudable controller with the latter.

$40 for a portable with 4.3" LCD screen, docking station with video out and joystick port and a full sized arcade joystick?

That's a pretty good deal. Where can it be found?
Deadwing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I wanted a Neo-Geo when I was a kid, but my parents weren't filthy stinkin' rich. $500 for a console and $100 or more for a single game? In early 1990s dollars? Yikes! Yeah, it had a quality befitting of the price tag (most powerful cart-based system at the time, with arcade-perfect quality), but the average consumer settled for the SNES and/or Genesis and their larger libraries of less expensive, less advanced, but equally good games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2