• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Japanese Guests Cancel Animazement Trip due to Swine Flu Concerns

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRLN

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Good call. Everyone knows that Swine Flu has mutated into Swine Flu Cancer, which eats flesh and converts it into dark energy. Japanese people are especially prone.

Did I mention that according to the media, Swine Flu has engulfed the Americas and sent them to an alternate dimension?
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
That;'s funny, I haven't heard a single thing on TV or the net in the news about the pig flu in the past week. I just thought it went back to Mexico.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
First of all, maybe try reading up on what the Japanese media has been saying about the swine flu, eh? If you are suspected to even be coughing or such, you get put into quarantine. Yeah, it sucks, but it does take away from their jobs and so forth, but unlike Japan I haven't heard about quarantine in the United States, yet.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
First of all, maybe try reading up on what the Japanese media has been saying about the swine flu, eh? If you are suspected to even be coughing or such, you get put into quarantine. Yeah, it sucks, but it does take away from their jobs and so forth, but unlike Japan I haven't heard about quarantine in the United States, yet.

That actually reminds me of a scene in Lucky Star where Sōjirō Izumi(Konata's dad in case anyone doesn't know) where Yui "arrests" him because of his hay fever mask.

But as for a quarantinne for the US, I can easily imagine television advertisement stating "Fear the pig".
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
I can say this. In my area, I haven't been hearing anything from any public services that specialize in the health field about swine flu risks or preventative measures or anything like that. Sure, there's been an increase in signs telling people to wash their hands in the local restrooms, but there has been no panic or anything like that at all. One hundred percent of people I have spoken to, which includes friends, classmates, co-workers, family, people like that, have agreed that this thing has been blown way out of proportion and they are carrying with their daily lives. So am I, but I'm amazed at how bad it's gotten in the media.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if the J-Guests did some kind of webcast to make up for their not being there...but still, there's always the bubble and microphone option! Laughing

In all seriousness, the Swine Flu is nothing to worry about...yet. And isn't it ironic that a country in which putting your finger up other kids butts is a semi-acceptable pastime is a germophobic nation? Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
It would be nice if the J-Guests did some kind of webcast to make up for their not being there...but still, there's always the bubble and microphone option! Laughing

In all seriousness, the Swine Flu is nothing to worry about...yet. And isn't it ironic that a country in which putting your finger up other kids butts is a semi-acceptable pastime is a germophobic nation? Rolling Eyes

The entire concept of Japan is founded on hypocrisy and double standards.
sashaisme

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
My opinion is that they didn't wanna go to NC...

All this swine flu crap is stupid. It came from Mexico, it'll go back.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
With the new outbreak of 97 confirmed H1N1 cases in Kansai area, now the stances have been reversed: people who came from Japan will have to be quarantined.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The entire concept of Japan is founded on hypocrisy and double standards.

Do tell. I am most interested to hear this explanation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2