• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canada's YTV Removes Naruto, Bleach From Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Ocean and Blue Water are fine. They do a bunch of work for Nelvana (third largest children's media company behind Disney, and Nick), Nerd Corps, Marathon, etc. They also do audio engineering for movies, live action shows, etc.

stararnold wrote:
This is of course not the first time Canada's YTV removed a plot-driven Anime series from its regual programming schedule before the show's entirety could be shown on the network's airwaves. Remember "Zatch Bell"? I have to say this is a sad weekend for "Bleach" viewers living in Canada as it's a shame that while Viz Media hasn't yet reached the show's final episode (in terms of English dubbing/subbing episodes), "Bleach" ends up removed from YTV's regular schedule.

However, I never believed that a not-for-kids Anime like "Bleach" mixes well with a Youth channel like Canada's YTV. Nevertheless, I hope that another Canadian T.V. network will step in to continue the Anime's Canadian broadcast.

Zatch Bell and this are completely different cases. YTV removed Zatch Bell because they aired every single episode Viz dubbed into English. Viz never completed the series. With Bleach YTV was literally more then a year behind AdultSwim in terms of episode count. It was really bad. The situation is more similar to Blue Dragon, or MAR, or Case Closed, where they dropped the series without getting remotely close to the entirity of dubbed episodes.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:
Ocean will not go out of business since they are still hired to voice Canadian and American cartoons. Some of the recent Marvel cartoons that feature Ocean voice actors, for example.

Yes! But Disney acquired Marvel and it's possible Marvel but it's need to get permission from Disney to get those VA in Canada.

Last edited by BlackJaded on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Ocean and Blue Water are fine. They do a bunch of work for Nelvana (third largest children's media company behind Disney, and Nick), Nerd Corps, Marathon, etc. They also do audio engineering for movies, live action shows, etc.

stararnold wrote:
This is of course not the first time Canada's YTV removed a plot-driven Anime series from its regual programming schedule before the show's entirety could be shown on the network's airwaves. Remember "Zatch Bell"? I have to say this is a sad weekend for "Bleach" viewers living in Canada as it's a shame that while Viz Media hasn't yet reached the show's final episode (in terms of English dubbing/subbing episodes), "Bleach" ends up removed from YTV's regular schedule.

However, I never believed that a not-for-kids Anime like "Bleach" mixes well with a Youth channel like Canada's YTV. Nevertheless, I hope that another Canadian T.V. network will step in to continue the Anime's Canadian broadcast.

Zatch Bell and this are completely different cases. YTV removed Zatch Bell because they aired every single episode Viz dubbed into English. Viz never completed the series. With Bleach YTV was literally more then a year behind AdultSwim in terms of episode count. It was really bad. The situation is more similar to Blue Dragon, or MAR, or Case Closed, where they dropped the series without getting remotely close to the entirity of dubbed episodes.

I would worry about them, because already I see them dropping off soon. Bluewater and Ocean Group are tanking badly of sales and even though Nelvana who owns them has an kept the money from them and already they are not paying the VA well as better than American VA's. I really see in the future for them to go down, but one thing is when?
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:

I would worry about them, because already I see them dropping off soon. Bluewater and Ocean Group are tanking badly of sales and even though Nelvana who owns them has an kept the money from them and already they are not paying the VA well as better than American VA's. I really see in the future for them to go down, but one thing is when?

What are you talking about? Nelvana doesn't own them (I don't even know why'd you think this, if Nelvana owned them, why would they allow other companies to use them?). They're ADR studios, nothing more. They've been around for decades, and are one of the oldest studios known to R1 anime fans. I also don't understand why you're taking in pay, and sales, since those two things are directly related to the studios themselves. They're given budgets for their productions from the company they work for. If Bandai gives them $5000 to dub an episode of Gundam SEED Destiny Plus Ultimate Edition, then they've got to spread that $5000 across directors, actors, and script writers. Nor is any R1 anime company is going to say "This show bombed because we got Ocean to dub it", because that's just stupid. It was also mean that we would never see a dub from Odex, or many from Texas ever again. Since Odex has never had a successful R1 title, and almost every single title ADV had in it's catalog wasn't the best of sellers.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
So it finally happened, huh.

Well, so long as Pokemon (or ANY kid-oriented anime) is still airing on the channel, I will still be tuning in. Though that, Pretty Cure and Dinosaur King S2 are indeed the only things I watch on that channel now.

Hopefully 5D's will return in the coming months, as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
Another sign that the anime fad on NA TV is fading?
The Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
The Overlord wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:
Well this could the fall of Canadian broadcasting already I'm speculating that Bluewater and Ocean Group Studios would go down next as well. This could happen in an year or next year.

Not likely since they are still hired to voice Canadian and American cartoons.

Well sooner or later it could happened but already I forsee it happening because American cartoons are relying on American VA's than Candians. Some like Erin Fitzgerald left because of she want to expand her career as an voice actress. Already the same for David Kaye to go and continue his career as an voice actor, already he's doing well. Soon Brad Swaile and Scott Mcneil leaning towards the US as well.

Already alot of Canadians VA are think about heading to the US to get competition down the road for the best role in cartoons both American and Japanese.

Yeah and voice actors like Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey and Troy Baker moved from Texas to LA, because the wages for voice actors are better in LA, but no one is saying Funi will just run out of voice actors.

If you are a voice actor in North America, you are going to have a strong pull to move to LA, because that's where most of the work is and the best wages.

The latest Marvel DVD is done by half American voice actors and the other half is Canadian and the Canadian half of the cast is from Ocean's Group. I also believe that new Iron Man cartoon is voiced entirely by Ocean voice actors. Canadian voice actors are still cheaper then American ones, overall.

Not to mention Canadian cartoons will still need voice actors and those voice actors will always be Canadian.

BlackJaded wrote:
The Overlord wrote:
Ocean will not go out of business since they are still hired to voice Canadian and American cartoons. Some of the recent Marvel cartoons that feature Ocean voice actors, for example.

Yes! But Disney acquired Marvel and it's possible Marvel but it's need to get permission from Disney to get those VA in Canada.

Disney really doesn't care if cartoon TV series are voiced by Americans or Canadians, as long as they are in English, ultimately.
utumo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
YTV has been a huge pile of fail for quite a while.

Canada needs a dedicated domestic anime channel (for old school anime, shojo, shonen, and for mature adults). YTV should just air Disney-related stuffs and European cartoon series.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
utumo wrote:

Canada needs a dedicated domestic anime channel (for old school anime, shojo, shonen, and for mature adults). YTV should just air Disney-related stuffs and European cartoon series.

I think you're being pretty unrealistic. At best, anime could work on TV only for the most mainstream stuff. It's worth having that stuff out there because there's actually a decent chance of people who stumble over it getting interested. Most of the stuff you're talking about is far too niche though. Sure, it would be fantastic for the fans but it's just not going to attract even vaguely significant interest even compared to other specialty channels. You're better off making that kind of anime available via streaming since the only audience is already going to pretty much be people who are familiar with it and will go looking for it.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:48 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Well this could the fall of Canadian broadcasting already I'm speculating that Bluewater and Ocean Group Studios would go down next as well. This could happen in an year or next year.

(insert executive names here) Please don't let The Ocean Group go down before Inuyasha Kanketsu-hen gets a dub! Sad

Last edited by bleachigo66 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Part of me died a little inside when I realized that the only anime in this country actually airing new episodes are Pretty Cure, Pokemon, and Dinosaur King. The entire country worth of channels, three shows.
Suprise! We, the tea sippin philistines of the UK have you beat. We're only airing repeats of Pokemon, Dinosaur King and not even Pre-cure!
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:
The Overlord wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

Not likely since they are still hired to voice Canadian and American cartoons.

Well sooner or later it could happened but already I forsee it happening because American cartoons are relying on American VA's than Candians. Some like Erin Fitzgerald left because of she want to expand her career as an voice actress. Already the same for David Kaye to go and continue his career as an voice actor, already he's doing well. Soon Brad Swaile and Scott Mcneil leaning towards the US as well.

Already alot of Canadians VA are think about heading to the US to get competition down the road for the best role in cartoons both American and Japanese.

Yeah and voice actors like Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey and Troy Baker moved from Texas to LA, because the wages for voice actors are better in LA, but no one is saying Funi will just run out of voice actors.

If you are a voice actor in North America, you are going to have a strong pull to move to LA, because that's where most of the work is and the best wages.

The latest Marvel DVD is done by half American voice actors and the other half is Canadian and the Canadian half of the cast is from Ocean's Group. I also believe that new Iron Man cartoon is voiced entirely by Ocean voice actors. Canadian voice actors are still cheaper then American ones, overall.

Not to mention Canadian cartoons will still need voice actors and those voice actors will always be Canadian.

BlackJaded wrote:
The Overlord wrote:

Disney really doesn't care if cartoon TV series are voiced by Americans or Canadians, as long as they are in English, ultimately.

I still forsee alot of Canadian VA heading to the US doing some work in the future, it doesn't matter how they role but after I seen some crappy shows from Nelvana. I'm really sure Canadians will head to US in California and Texas to work their asses off and will give an badass competition for the US. Maybe wrong but I know some Canadian VA is reading this thread would agree the same thing than just believing everything is alright. Just wait and watch the Canadians are coming.
pepper_gray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
I don't see why everyone is so bent out of shape. The article states that the channel was running reruns. If you've watched an entire series, do *you* tune in to watch it all, including the filler episodes, over and over again? I sure don't.

The problem isn't the TV station. They're doing what they need to do to maximize their advertising revenue and stay on the air, which is increasingly difficult for any TV station lately as they fight with a slew of other channels, as well as the Internet, for market share.

The problem lies with the industry, really. There was an artificial abundance of shows a few years ago as companies rushed to get new series, as well as back catalogs, out the door as quickly as they could. Now we have no back catalog and we have to draw from what a niche industry in a small country can produce in one year, but we can't simulcast it too closely or we risk running out of programming when we need it, and we can't wait too long because then no one will watch it.

If I were in charge of the world I'd love to see Elemental Gelade on broadcast TV. It's good enough that people will follow it for a season - and coincidentally, there's only one season, so advertisers will have something new to advertise during (with a higher buzz level because it's new) in a few months. Maybe we need to be pushing shorter shows rather than long series.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

(insert executive names here) Please don't let The Ocean Group go down before Inuyasha Kanketsu-hen gets a dub! Sad

Unless they need to try to keep anime in their country again, from my view thats the only significance for Ocean Group and Bluewater getting better again. Stop doing crappy show about narrow high school life on other shows. For them anime was their lifetime instead of live action and stupid stage plays. You just cannot take Voice Actor out of the actor, you cannot do that. Scott Mcneil understands that.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
utumo wrote:

(Disney stuff is tied exclusively to Family channel, so they can't air that anyways)

The problem with an anime channel is that it only supports the current fanbase. And as this thread, and news article proves, you can't just rely on current fanbase, especially one who's losing interest in the linear broadcast systems. I'd watch an anime channel provided it have some good programming, but would Little Timmy or his mother? Probably not. They'd likely watch a general network such as YTV, Teletoon or Family. It only caters to a niche, rather then builds it.

Conan-san wrote:
Suprise! We, the tea sippin philistines of the UK have you beat. We're only airing repeats of Pokemon, Dinosaur King and not even Pre-cure!

We actually have you beat even more if you count repeats; since we have Digimon: Data Squad on Family channel! Not to mention, I forgot Bakugan (I know right, how could I have forgotten about it?)!

That said, I do know you guys in the UK have a lot of stuff air on some really obscure channels. I know some Pop channel was airing Pandalian, Mew Mew Power, the formerly Asia-only Transformers series, etc. And you probably get Bakugan, and Yu-Gi-Oh! over there as well. That said, come the fall when Pretty Cure, and Dinosaur King end, we'll be tied with Beyblade Metal Fusion (which is coming to YTV in Canada this year, and Nicktoons in the UK), potentially new Pokemon, potentially new Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds and potentially new Bakugan. Exciting, I know!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3