• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Strike Witches 2 on Wednesday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh Hell, no UK.
Thanks Japan, for remembering me buying all the first series episodes on BOST and on the strength of that importing the expensive R2 DVDs, and for paying monthly for a Crunchyroll subscription which so far isn't looking spectacular value this season.
And here was me hoping that Crunchyroll rather than FUNimation got it since I stupidly expected we'd be able to watch it that way.

--edit--

Press release link is broken

animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2010-07-07/crunchyroll-to-exclusively-simulcast-strike-witches-2y

should be
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2010-07-07/crunchyroll-to-exclusively-simulcast-strike-witches-2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Looks like subscribers will get a jump on me as well as non-subscribers. I plan to wait for the DVD release. I enjoyed the first season, so the second is most certainly a purchase.

Oh, and if a single one of you spoils it for me, I'm going to pants you.
Razz
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I guess Strike Witches didn't sell that well for Funimation so they passed on season 2.

I doubt that. I remember somebody pointing out how SW1 was one of the top anime pre-orders on Amazon or something like that. I think FUNi hasn't gotten it yet because of one of 2 reasons:
1. It's not made by Gonzo. Remember that FUNi has pretty much been in bed with Gonzo for the past few years (that's how Dragonaut got licensed Mad ). Or
2. They're (like me) wondering how exactly there could be a 2nd season of Strike Witches and are waiting to see if it's worth it. Season 1 spoiler: Remember that spoiler[the Nueroi portal was sealed up and the Strike Witches team was disbanded in the end.] Say/yell whatever you want about the creepy shots and pantsu, the 1st season had a decent story and proper conclusion; I don't know how there could be more of it (though it's definitely going to include Miyafuji's father in some way). It might completely suck, but then again it might not. I guess I'll have a better grasp in about 4.5 hours...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
"HD video for subscribers; streaming in Americas, Scandinavia, Middle East, Africa"

I guess it's fansubs for me then...again. Oh well...

Still, can't believe this sold well in US.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

1. It's not made by Gonzo. Remember that FUNi has pretty much been in bed with Gonzo for the past few years (that's how Dragonaut got licensed :x ).

Going by the PR, it seems Kadokawa is the one FUNi would be dealing with for the rights on this season (they've always been involved with the series, but I guess Gonzo had international rights on the first one). FUNi does seem to get a good bit of Kadokawa stuff these days, including Sora no Otoshimono which was simulcast on Crunchyroll and later removed.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I have a good reason to borrow my sister's account info now. Cool

Concerned that Funimation doesn't have the rights though. They've put out statements several times about not wanting to license things they can't have all the various rights to. Personally, I hope this goes like the first season, CR streams then Funi licenses.

It'll depend on sales and licensing fees. I doubt the first season was a high-cost title to license but the second might be, given the shift away from Gonzo. I hope the production committee at least thinks it a good idea to give them the right of first refusual. (Which I most sincerely hope they'll use as a chance to grab it.)

Besides, I need another chance to buy 3 copies and give them away.

Now excuse me while I borrow Yuji's flame repelling ring Azure, this thread will probably need it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The simulcast will be streamed to Premium Subscription members in high definition on the same day as the Japanese broadcast, and for free in standard definition one week later

why do they still do this >.< their main competitor TAN gives the shows the same day for everyone registered and an HD option as well. it's no wonder CR just "broke even"in May.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
A possible reason is that TAN, being part of the neo-ADv group, sees the streams as adverts for the DVDs they are also selling while CR is more dependant on the subscription fees.
I don't see how they would have broken even sooner if they made a subscription less desirable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Concerned that Funimation doesn't have the rights though. They've put out statements several times about not wanting to license things they can't have all the various rights to. Personally, I hope this goes like the first season, CR streams then Funi licenses.

Crunchyroll hasn't said its a 30 day timecast, but they have also not explicitly said anything about it going into the back catalog at the end of the season, so its anybody's guess how long the streams will be live at Crunchyroll. There were a lot of complaints at Crunchy about the restrictive time window with Strike Witches 1 (and also Fairy Tail), but if the episodes stay up for 1 preview week plus 13 ad-stream weeks, so that the first episode is still up when the end of the season hits, that would be likely to generate less consternation.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
it's no wonder CR just "broke even"in May.

CR broke even while two of the largest video streaming sites on the planet, Hulu and YouTube, still operate in the red.

Their practices make them one of the only video streaming sites that isn't bleeding money.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
A possible reason is that TAN, being part of the neo-ADv group, sees the streams as adverts for the DVDs they are also selling while CR is more dependant on the subscription fees.
I don't see how they would have broken even sooner if they made a subscription less desirable.

This.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
zaeris wrote:
NGK wrote:
...streaming in Americas, Scandinavia, Middle East, Africa

pantsu has gone global!!!

firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that some good but why didn't Funi pick it up

Because Gonzo doesn't own season 2... it's AIC's now. FUNI now has to buy rights from AIC.

By global you mean most country beside the U.K and Australia.

I wonder if the U.K. and Australia are not getting it because of legal concerns in those two nations.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
And with that, CR keeps my subscription for another three months. 720P PANTSU HERE I COME!
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
The simulcast will be streamed to Premium Subscription members in high definition on the same day as the Japanese broadcast, and for free in standard definition one week later

why do they still do this >.< their main competitor TAN gives the shows the same day for everyone registered and an HD option as well. it's no wonder CR just "broke even"in May.

(TAN is CR's main competitor?)

Why does nobody understand how very, very unlikely and good CR's breaking even is? (minus the people that do understand of course)
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I wonder if the U.K. and Australia are not getting it because of legal concerns in those two nations.

i'm glad i live in God's Chosen Land Laughing
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Very pleased by this news. Rather enjoyed the first season (and will get to buying it eventually), so this is good news. Hopefully it's at least as good. Second seasons have had a tendency to fall flat on their face for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4