• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre to Decide on Selling Funimation in 2 Quarters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firecrouch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
keikanna44 wrote:
Funimation is my favorite anime company. I love everything about them from their fan interaction to their DVD prices. I hope this doesn't change the way they operate. Very Happy

Side note completely off topic in response to another post. Detective Conan doesn't work in the US because people aren't that interested in detective shows. The same way they aren't interested in sports anime shows. These genres have little fanbase here in America which is why they work in other countries but not here. Wink

I'unno... I think if it was anything BUT anime, these things might work more on television. I mean, Monk and CSI have done really well, right? And I dunno about sports, but lots of people here LIKE sports. But giving it to the public in the form of Japanese animation? Probably a turn-off to the mass populace. Not like I admitting that anime is still pretty much niche, but...

Well I guess people just prefer their detective shows to be live-action. And the people who already are animation fans probably aren't interested in it for detective stories but more fantasy stuff. Plus "Detective Conan" is a very different beast of a mystery show: a murder mystery show revolving around kids.
dentedonion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
BobtheBoss wrote:
Trolly McTroll's post removed

I lol'd. And to a certain extent I feel your pain, I really do. For the most part they're a solid company and seem to take fans opinions seriously, though I agree they're not exactly my favorite dubbers either.

But it's bad news for the anime community overall when one of the largest surviving distributors here isn't making as much money as they have before. Just in the last few months I've seen a number of my favorite niche publishers, small businesses etc. go bankrupt because of the state the economy is in. Ultimately everyone suffers, but it's so sad to see them all close their doors. Let's hope Funi can survive any changes that come their way in the near future.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Do you think it would be good or bad if another dubbing company merged into FUNimation? Obviously the chances of that are slim to none since FUNimation is by far the most profitable anime localization company in the US. But let's say hypothetically that Sentai and FUNimation became one company? How would you feel about that?
Why would another dubbing company merge into FUNimation? They do their own in-house non-union dubs. They could easily do outside dubbing work if they wanted to. Buying another anime company wouldn't make much sense unless they were able to do something so radically different.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Bless Dragonball. Aside from being a good series, it helps Funimation's sales. I hope whoever buys Funimation is able to keep it afloat. Times are tough.
Jetto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
With all the hate DBZ gets, I find it amusing that it is the only 20+ (or, heck, 5+) year old anime that is still relevant today.

My nephews watch it and LOVE it.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Sales are down, but that hardly means they're still not making profit. Honestly, if Geneon survived as long as they did given their business actions (that ANNcast revealed some really bizarre stuff), I'm sure FUNimation is fine right now. As we already knew, FUNimation will be in better hands with someone who handles things besides DVDs since FUNi is getting heavily into streaming/simulcasting now, so this is hardly a reason to raise the alarms.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
look dubs or just subbed only releases do not matter, the only reason funimation has had a slow sales earning, is because the last few months, they have released less shows, and some were big flops
(the big wind up),

their main problem is, they announce a show, they get everyone excited, and then, you have to wait over a year before you can buy it, whereas with companies like section 23 and sentai films, when they announce something, it usually goes on sale in a few months,

so by the time they finally release it, you have already found a better show you like, if funimation wants to stay competitive in the anime market, they need to have a faster turnaround on shows, sooner or later, companies are going to have to offer shows, at the same time they are released in japan, in order to keep the fans interested, but then you have to get the Japanese companies to change their ways, and I don't see that happening, because they sell their shows at such a higher price per episode than what most Americans will pay, so we have to wait until the Japanese companies make as much money as they can in japan, then they license it out to other companies, or like bandia, you can only release an English dub only version of a show on blu-ray, to fight reverse importation,

since we now live in a global economy, where the internet can link people to any type of media from anywhere in the world instantly, anime companies have to start thinking that way, I know they are trying, by doing simulcasts, but those of us who know how they release shows in japan, the first volume of most shows, is sold while the show is still broadcasting new episodes, and that is what is needed in the American anime market, strike while the iron is hot, so to speak, because people nowadays want to buy it now, not two years after they hear about a show, or watch it as a fansub,
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Lame troll, ... I wonder if ANN bans people who just come here to troll. ...

If they cause a sufficiently big disruption to the converation, they'll ban people. For something that weak ... why? Its just a chuckle at how weak it was. Now, the libertarians at The Nation discussion forum ... there's some accomplished trollery.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, let's look at worst case scenario: Funi being bought by someone who has no interest in anime. But why someone like that buy Funimation?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

I wonder if ANN bans people who just come here to troll.

We sure do!

This thread is going to attract a lot of them, so hey everyone do me a big favor when you see an obvious troll:

Don't quote it over and over and over and over again. It makes it virtually impossible to scrub the troll from the thread.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
An earlier news story clued us in that this was coming, so I'm not too terribly surprised, just saddened.

My biggest concern is that they will be sold to a company who wants to do something completely differently, and I feel as though FUNimation for the most part has the right idea. We still don't know who's buying, huh?

Yes, the infamous "Microsoft Effect", like where Microsoft bought out the people to make what ended up being the Kin and then kept interfering with what they were doing to the point that most were just twiddling their thumbs until the waiting period to get their retention bonus had passed.

I don't think its all that likely at the outset ... the most probable buyer is a mid-level player who wants to expand their range, who'd be buying Funimation for their expertise in the area.

There's still the risk that down the track, something hits the new owner that forces it to fire sale Funimation ... but that same risk stands with Navarre.

And Navarre has made it clear that this is not a fire sale ... unless a company thinks they can leverage Funimation with what they already do to get added value, and can offer more than just the capitalized value of Funimation doing what they are doing now, there's no pressing reason for Navarre to sell.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
keikanna44 wrote:
Detective Conan doesn't work in the US because people aren't that interested in detective shows.

Law & Order SVU would like a word with you. Rolling Eyes
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, let's look at worst case scenario: Funi being bought by someone who has no interest in anime. But why someone like that buy Funimation?

Corporate Raiding.

Buy company, strip it of it's most valuable assets, and then sell the corpse.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Do you think it would be good or bad if another dubbing company merged into FUNimation? Obviously the chances of that are slim to none since FUNimation is by far the most profitable anime localization company in the US. But let's say hypothetically that Sentai and FUNimation became one company? How would you feel about that?

The main reason to welcome a merger would be if it formed one viable company from two non-viable ones. Otherwise, better for anime market to have different firms each pursuing their own strategies, so we have more based covered.

Sentai/Section23 and Funimation would not do that ... the Sentai/Section23 "cluster" is not in any evident financial distress.

Of course, as you note, there is 0% chance of this happening at this point, since nobody else in the market has the resources to buy out Funimation from Navarre. Indeed, its hard to think of anyone in Japan that's have the resources other than TV Tokyo, and there's no obvious reason why TV Tokyo would be in the market to buy an R1 localizer/distributor.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Corporate Raiding.

Buy company, strip it of it's most valuable assets, and then sell the corpse.

But a corporate raider wouldn't offer Navarre a price that'd be better than holding onto Funimation. There are not all that many valuable assets to strip, since most existing assets are licenses to distribute that depreciate rapidly in value after the initial release. And its not like the Texas property market makes the land they are occupying especially valuable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7