• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cat Sh*t One's English-Dubbed Episode Now Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vermilionone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Anthropomorphizing animals to tell war stories is totally stupid... y'know like Maus. Horrible idea, don't know why it's one of the most hard hitting and influential comics out there.

Kidding aside, Cat Shit One is an interesting concept but the appeal doesn't seem to have much crossover with the average anime fan. The main characters are ex-special forces who fought in Vietnam and the whole thing about each race being a different species of animal smacks of light racism and unlike Maus, the use of animals portraying people is really more of a series of puns. The Vietnamese are all portrayed as cats, hence the name of the unit "Cat Shit One." I actually like how they renamed the manga for the US release: "Apocalypse Meow."

At the price point they're not shooting for the average anime fan. they're going for the oddball animation fan who'll pay for obscure independently produced stuff. I paid something like $25 each for three copies of "Here Comes Dr. Tran" and those guys managed to keep doing it, so as far as people willing to pay that premium, they exist. Now, how many of those people care for very accurate portrayals of military hardware, tactics, and off-duty life? I'm... not entirely sure. Are there animation fans who are military enthusiasts? I know a handful. Will military enthusiasts pay a premium for a sort of strange animated movie? I'm betting no. It's a bold strategy but the specifics of the subject matter touch on such a small, obscure cross section of fans I really, really don't see it going far. Personally, I'll probably end up getting a handful of copies as gifts for friends in the military.

Edit: also the toy commercial in the beginning is ridiculous, that's not a new concept at all. It's called Microman,

Last edited by vermilionone on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
and that was terrible. The japanese was much better, with Packy sounding like a badass and not this monotonous robot.

wasn't going to buy it anyways, as Mario said above me $30 for 22 minutes LOL.

The English audio was okay, but it was somewhat lackluster.

But like Niomo and Mario said, $30 for less than 22 minutes of one episode is not at all worth it. Not for a English audio that isn't bad, but is simply average and really nothing in the least bit exciting. Not to mention it's just one episode.

But seriously $3o for only 22 minutes and just one episode is not worth it to me.

TitanXL: The day Pixar/Dreamworks actually makes a movie that isn't ultra squeaky clean and isn't G rated is the day some one wins the lottery four times in a row, consecutively. That said, it's likely to never happen.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The Goron Marshall wrote:
In fact, despite it having originated in Japan, the entire thing seems more like something better suited as a cartoon of western-origin, especially because of the use of CGI and animals.

I somehow doubt Pixar or Dreamworks would ever make a movie this dark/gruesome/serious (despite the cute bunnies). So in that regard, it could really only have been done in anime

You do realize that Pixar and Dreamworks are not the only companies to use CGI, right?

Edit: And I agree with vermilionone, applying a specific specie of animal to kind of human race did seem racist.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
See, I wonder about the nationality-species thing, but in a different way:

For example, Americans are rabbits. So what happens if, say, a Vietnamese cat moves to America and achieves citizenship? Does it morph into a rabbit? If it stays a cat and has kids with another cat, is a rabbit born? If the cat has a kid with a rabbit, does it create some strange cat-rabbit hybrid or a rabbit?

I must know the answers!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But seriously $3o for only 22 minutes and just one episode is not worth it to me.

Welcome to how OAVs used to be released. Laughing

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

TitanXL: The day Pixar/Dreamworks actually makes a movie that isn't ultra squeaky clean and isn't G rated is the day some one wins the lottery four times in a row, consecutively. That said, it's likely to never happen.

Some Pixar films are already rated PG, like Up and The Incredibles. Razz
O-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
I ordered this on Blu-Ray because, as an artist, I do feel the need to support other artists in their endeavors and after seeing the YouTube episode I consider this my "contribution to the arts".

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
vermilionone wrote:
Anthropomorphizing animals to tell war stories is totally stupid... y'know like Maus. Horrible idea, don't know why it's one of the most hard hitting and influential comics out there.

Maus is partially a parable- there are reasons for each nationality to be represented by different animals. Plus it has a story that matters, one that could be told with human characters and be good (Better in your opinion- worse in mine)

Cat Shit One is none of that. It really is pointless. The animals are anthropomorphized according to a gag and some vague national stereotypes that aren't consistent. The story is some random mission you aren't asked to care about past the most superficial reason. If the same story was pressented with human characters with the same lack of framing you'd have no reason to watch. So they're bunnies-- how unique and novel-- but meaningless. Instead of enhancing the story the fact that the the hardened soldiers are cute and fluffy bunnies literally and figuratively dehumanizes the seriousness of the situation. It's a kill or be killed situation.... but ohhhh wook at da widdle cottontail!

It's an animation test as far as I can see. A resume film to show prospective clients and investors "this is what we can do".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vermilionone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
vermilionone wrote:

Maus is partially a parable- there are reasons for each nationality to be represented by different animals. Plus it has a story that matters, one that could be told with human characters and be good (Better in your opinion- worse in mine)

Cat Shit One is none of that. It really is pointless. The animals are anthropomorphized according to a gag and some vague national stereotypes that aren't consistent. The story is some random mission you aren't asked to care about past the most superficial reason. If the same story was pressented with human characters with the same lack of framing you'd have no reason to watch. So they're bunnies-- how unique and novel-- but meaningless. Instead of enhancing the story the fact that the the hardened soldiers are cute and fluffy bunnies literally and figuratively dehumanizes the seriousness of the situation. It's a kill or be killed situation.... but ohhhh wook at da widdle cottontail!

I think you missed my second paragraph because I agree with you, save that I believe there is a specific group of people who want to see "real" weapons in action and that fluffy bunnies might be a harder sell to the sort of person that actually cares about what is bolted onto those rifles. Really now, The first statement in the paragraph admitted that I was joking about denigrating Maus and even the actual statement acknowledges how important it is.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
vermilionone wrote:

I think you missed my second paragraph because I agree with you, save that I believe there is a specific group of people who want to see "real" weapons in action and that fluffy bunnies might be a harder sell to the sort of person that actually cares about what is bolted onto those rifles. Really now, The first statement in the paragraph admitted that I was joking about denigrating Maus and even the actual statement acknowledges how important it is.

Yeah, I was only really disagreeing with your dislike of Maus and didn't catch that you were joking, otherwise I was just using your opinion as a jumping off point to clarify my similar views.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I like Botasky's 7.62 NATO M1A Garand... (though I like the 7.62 x 54R round a lot better [SVD Dragunov!]) Sorry Packy, but AR platform is ugly to me...

I ordered the Blu-Ray when it finally became available on the 5th and am awaiting it's arrival (free shipping). Have already seen it multiple times online, but want to support direct releases from Japan and see if the PCM audio track lives up to what I expect it to be. It would have been nice if the English was done a little better but the Japanese audio track with subtitles works fine. I'm treating this more like an Anime Blu-Ray demo disc for my system, and hopefully it can deliver on that regard.

$30 for this is not much difference when compared with Japanese prices for full length BD Anime movies ($120-$150).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2