• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Jack TV Reaches Crowdfunding Goal for Anime Sols DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Missed what? Sorry guys, AnimeSols went up May 13th and was spammed across ANN, AnimeWorldOrder, and various other places. Maybe they didn't keep advertising well enough, but these deadlines certainly didn't come from nowhere. There was an entire ANNcast devoted to it. You go to ANN, you read the headlines, you comment back, how do you miss it?

I go to ANN multiple times daily, this is the first time I've seen anything about it. I think I may have seen the words "Anime Sols" in the retail forum at one point, though I'm not sure.

Anyways, I went to their website and there was still some time left! I pledged for the $40 set. Anyone who would still like to pledge, there is probably still time left as of right now, if you go really fast!

Yup! You've got just over an hour to pledge still!

And even if you don't make it, the extra ~800 DVD sets will be available for sale from RightStuf and other retailers after they're printed and shipped.

Still, pledging is the only way to get the bonus rewards if you want any!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I go to ANN multiple times daily, this is the first time I've seen anything about it. I think I may have seen the words "Anime Sols" in the retail forum at one point, though I'm not sure.

Maybe you guys just subconsciously avoided the articles/threads because "AnimeSols" wasn't an eye-catching phrase like "FUNimation" or "Sentai", because you know to look for those for big news. There's been a decent amount of items posted for the last two months.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Maybe you guys just subconsciously avoided the articles/threads because "AnimeSols" wasn't an eye-catching phrase like "FUNimation" or "Sentai", because you know to look for those for big news. There's been a decent amount of items posted for the last two months.

That could be it. I'm just glad I found out in time, I've been on a huge Tezuka kick lately! Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You don't need a pod anything for a podcast, I listen to them while I edit for instance. What about the Mami completion article a few days back?

I don't recall anything like that. Then again, I don't read in-depth into articles about things I'm not interested in. I also visit the website's news page once or more daily and skim the headlines, reading the articles that are about people, or things I'm familiar with or other things that may interest me like new upcoming series announcements or promo videos.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
As has been pointed out before, the two most successful drives on Anime Sols (and as it turns out the only two to be fully funded) are the two that have been fully fansubbed for ages.

The question about Black Jack is if the ~200 backers can support another four or five sets...and if they will support the OVA box set at the same time, unless Anime Sols doesn't plan to try that one for about a year while the TV series finishes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Heh, well I think either way it's in their best interests to space out the sets and and let the big backer's bank accounts recover.
Felis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I was a little worried this wasn't going to make its goal, but I'm glad it did and I am looking forward to owning it.

Last edited by Felis on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
To add to the "You just weren't paying enough attention" crowd, they also had a panel at Anime Expo this year. Granted it had low attendance, but it's not for their lack of trying to get the word out.

It is true though that they were working with the most limited advertising budget imaginable. If they had a stronger advertising campaign they may have had a better turn-out, but as far as the site is concerned, it can only grow from here. Once these two successfully funded titles get out there, and word continues to spread about the site, it should continue to grow. Hopefully it will become something that can regularly fund projects like Kickstarter. Then we won't have to worry about making the goals as much as we did in this first round.

Also, even if they were to announce all new pledge drives for series starting tomorrow, or the second sets for Mami and Black Jack, the new drives wouldn't conclude for another three months. That should give a decent amount of time for people to save up and be able to pledge again. The second sets should also have a (marginally) lower goal to meet, so that can help get subsequent funding operations completed without so many heavyweight pledges.
clawfinger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see that they made it and twice! I wonder if this will generate some buzz and get the ball rolling.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Please get a dub! PLEASE!

There's already an English dub of Black Jack TV from Animax Asia, but I doubt it'll be on the Anime Sols DVDs.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Mc-Taz wrote:
Also, even if they were to announce all new pledge drives for series starting tomorrow, or the second sets for Mami and Black Jack, the new drives wouldn't conclude for another three months. That should give a decent amount of time for people to save up and be able to pledge again. The second sets should also have a (marginally) lower goal to meet, so that can help get subsequent funding operations completed without so many heavyweight pledges.

One thing that will be interesting to see is whether sales of the unpledged-for part of the DVD production run of 1,000 units will (1) attract new pledgers in for the follow-up sets and (2) generate funds to help reduce the box set targets below the intrinsic saving of one-time start up costs for each series, which are covered by the first set in a series that makes its launch target.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Mc-Taz wrote:

One thing that will be interesting to see is whether sales of the unpledged-for part of the DVD production run of 1,000 units will (1) attract new pledgers in for the follow-up sets and (2) generate funds to help reduce the box set targets below the intrinsic saving of one-time start up costs for each series, which are covered by the first set in a series that makes its launch target.

Because of the time it will take for production itself, revenue from disc sales of Set 1 will probably only factor into Set 3... unless we get pre-orders or promises of wholesale stock from retailers.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
If there is an English dub, the only choice for BJ is Kirk Thornton again.

ONLY. CHOICE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
Since i have people's attention here, how important would it be to people to get the new OVAs (11-12) dubbed for a complete set?

Would you not buy it if 11-12 were sub only but the dub for 1-10 was included?
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
I personally would like to see episodes 11-12 of the ova dubbed with Kirk Thornton reprising his role of Black Jack. I would accept subtitled if that was the only way to have those episodes.

Last edited by trunkschan90 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3