• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
'Real' super-heroes are an interesting real world trend

Any news stories you can link to about this trend?

You haven't heard about 'Real-Life Super-Heroes'? Its not exactly a 'trend' I suppose, but its been a part of the culture for a little while. Spawning a few films and I think at least one reality show.

Samurai Flamenco looks like its about the Japanese equivalent. I'm actually curious why the wikipedia article doesn't mention a 'Real Super-Hero' presence in Japan, since next to the United States, Japan has the second strongest Super-Hero media culture in the world.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So far I like what I'm seeing. The show has a good, goofy sense of humor. Hazama is downright delusional but you also can't help but like his enthusiasm and child-like sincerity. And Goto plays the straight man decently enough. The music is catchy too. I look forward to seeing more.

I agree. The episode was low-key, banking on it's characters to make the sell. For me it did; in particular, I think the chemistry between the leads feels organic. Definitely going to keep up with this one.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
So far I like what I'm seeing. The show has a good, goofy sense of humor. Hazama is downright delusional but you also can't help but like his enthusiasm and child-like sincerity. And Goto plays the straight man decently enough. The music is catchy too. I look forward to seeing more.

I agree. The episode was low-key, banking on it's characters to make the sell. For me it did; in particular, I think the chemistry between the leads feels organic. Definitely going to keep up with this one.

yea the chemistry between the 2 really sold me on this. I love that Hazama is completely delusional yet is fully aware of it which make the whole thing even more crazy. The man lives in his own fantasy world or at least wants to and yet is struggling with that he has to face reality. I have not had this much fun with a show in a very long time. I will be looking forward to this every week,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, how much do I hate smoking characters?

Outrageous ignorance and irresponsibility, cheap "coolness" factor as fanservice for oversmoking Japanese society's idea of "badass" characters.

Such immoral thing as this is -- advertisement of torturing death (I have seen it with my own eyes) -- is allowed to be depicted, while perfectly moral and harmless things such as nudity and sex are banned.

Fake hypocritical "morals" rule this industry.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
so what does that mean? watching or not watching?
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

Outrageous ignorance and irresponsibility, cheap "coolness" factor as fanservice for oversmoking Japanese society's idea of "badass" characters.

Such immoral thing as this is -- advertisement of torturing death (I have seen it with my own eyes) -- is allowed to be depicted, while perfectly moral and harmless things such as nudity and sex are banned.

You're seriously bashing a character because he smokes? And I'm not sure where you're getting 'outrageous ignorance and irresponsibility' from if you're talking about the same character.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
No, no, not bashing a character, bashing an entire industry culture. I mean, can't a guy throw a ridiculous, over-the-top condemnation of moral standards based on a cartoon writing decision without people twisting words?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

You clearly missed the scene where smokers were admonished for breaking the law.

It wasn't glamorous at all.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

My father died of lung cancer after years of smoking. I myself am asthmatic, and heavily bothered by cigarette smoke. I live in a state where it is illegal to smoke within 25 feet of any establishment. But that's my culture. Not Japan's. I'm not going to push my beliefs and culture onto someone else just for an excuse to attack them, nor am I going to look at a character smoking and say that they're trying to "advertise torturing death" or make a character look "badass." It's just a character who happens to smoke.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

Seriously, are you even trying? Your nitpicking of every show you come across is becoming more ridiculous than it already was, and I didn't think that was possible.

Just because someone smokes doesn't mean they're trying to look "baddass", your strawman accussations are so stupid they're not even funny. I wonder if you flip every time you go to the movies and see an on-screen character smoking. Smoking is a very common cliché for police officers, do you throw a tantrum at your TV every time you watch a Cop Drama? Just say you don't like the series and stop pestering the rest of the world with you absurd complaints
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Seriously, are you even trying? Your nitpicking of every show you come across is becoming more ridiculous than it already was, and I didn't think that was possible.

Just because someone smokes doesn't mean they're trying to look "baddass", your strawman accussations are so stupid they're not even funny. I wonder if you flip every time you go to the movies and see an on-screen character smoking. Smoking is a very common cliché for police officers, do you throw a tantrum at your TV every time you watch a Cop Drama? Just say you don't like the series and stop pestering the rest of the world with you absurd complaints

It's best to ignore him and just let him believe in his fantasy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
jsc315, CrowLia:

Stay "classy", discussing opponent, instead of opponent's argument. I am sure you are proud of yourself, doing it over and over again.

Dessa wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

My father died of lung cancer after years of smoking. I myself am asthmatic, and heavily bothered by cigarette smoke. I live in a state where it is illegal to smoke within 25 feet of any establishment. But that's my culture. Not Japan's. I'm not going to push my beliefs and culture onto someone else just for an excuse to attack them, nor am I going to look at a character smoking and say that they're trying to "advertise torturing death" or make a character look "badass." It's just a character who happens to smoke.

Any positive character is role model for children. I obviously wrote about the issue in general terms. but even in this concrete anime smoking thing becomes part of an image of being "grown-up" and "adult".

Culture per se is one thing, but whether such culture is harmful or not is another.

There is culture in some Middle Eastern regions to kill women if they had sex before marriage -- sometimes even if it is not confirmed -- because it "smears honour of the family". Countless women killed every year; some of them are forced into suicides, others even get buried alive by their own fathers and brothers. This is ancient, highly respected culture in those regions, but it does not make it any better than it is.

So, as you see, there is no rational way to buy the argument that harmful culture practices should not be critiqued.

Also, there is no way how anyone of us here, including myself, could possibly "push" any beliefs onto anyone else. None of us here are anywhere that powerful. But yet to pretend that harmful culture traditions are all right, to feel indifferent that as result some children might turn into smokers that would die horrible deaths is not for everyone; not for myself.

Thus no, I am not taking critique for voicing such important issues as this. And I am not forcing anyone to agree with me, so why you are trying to hush me with those "look at me, I keep silent" arguments?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Are you going to acknowledge my argument that the show actively painted a target on irresponsible smokers? Or are you just going to ignore it out of moral superiority?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's try to stay on topic. If you want discuss a character and how his smoking is a bad cliche or even setting a bad example then go ahead, that is fair territory. However let's not turn this in to a sweeping discussion on the evils of smoking and so on, keep it relevant to the topic. And this goes for everyone, as MaxSouth may have broached the topic he is hardly the only to engage on it or even post entirely on it.

Also:

Quote:

We can do without the personal attacks. Address the posters points or simply ignore the post, but straying in to what is essentially the "you are...." stages is entering in to direct attack territory on other posters. If you seriously don't like how someone presents themselves or feel their opinion has no credibility then ignore them, but we don't need to turn these discussions in to not just a discussion about something off-topic, but about specific posters and how or what they post as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
^Just FTR, in no instance did I "attack" MaxSouth. I called his arguments for shenanigans, not once did I call him "X or Y". And I even explained why I thought his "criticism" was full of BS. If I see someone picking on a show with ridiculous arguments ("a smoker is a main character, INDUSTRY HIPOCRISY") of course I'm going to call them out on it. It's like saying: "Kotetsu shows up drinking alcohol a lot in T&B, so the show is telling kids that drinking alcohol is what heroes do and it must be burnt in hell for promoting unhealthy alcohol consumption"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 28