• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special 2013: Yankee Swap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
From the New World was my favorite of the year (and of last year) as well.

It's not just one of the best ANIME shows of the last couple of years, it's one of the best SHOWS of the last couple of years.

Such an amazing show, It really makes you think. I would even call it a life changing experience.

Yes, it's THAT GOOD.

Yeah, for me, From the New World is one of the few works of art/fiction where you can really say your life is better for having experienced it. I can, to quote Justin from the podcast in a different context, 'count those on one hand and still have fingers left over,' but man are they impactful.
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
I see that no one's mentioned Kyousougiga so far which befuddles me to no end. Its easily the AOTY for me. I urge-- I mean why not watch-- fudge, I don't know how to bring this up more organically in a post so it doesn't sound like I'm nagging. Wink

I'll say just this-- watch the first episode and and you'll find out for yourself why its something like we've never seen for a loooong time.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
I see that no one's mentioned Kyousougiga so far which befuddles me to no end. Its easily the AOTY for me. I urge-- I mean why not watch-- fudge, I don't know how to bring this up more organically in a post so it doesn't sound like I'm nagging. Wink

I'll say just this-- watch the first episode and and you'll find out for yourself why its something like we've never seen for a loooong time.

It got an honorable mention from me but it just wasn't my absolute favorite of the year. But I do know many people who share your opinion.
Durga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
As far as anime that I was excited to watch every week, Kill la Kill is my favorite anime this year. However, that's not done yet, so if I were to say what my favorite COMPLETED anime this year was, I'd go with The Eccentric Family. I just love the characters and mood of that show so much. It's a delightful balance of fun and melancholic that's really hard to pull off and could have failed in a lesser story. I want to see more of the original author's stuff adapted into anime, because both this and Tatami Galaxy would rank among my favorite anime ever.

As for favorite movies this year, I still have yet to see The Wolf of Wall Street, The Act of Killing, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Her, and I really want to see those movies, but I've seen some really good movies this year that I know I'll want to rewatch again and again. In the case of Frozen, I've seen it three times in the theater (both in 2D and 3D just because why not), and I think it may be my new favorite Disney movie. However, Gravity is my current favorite movie of the year because it was the best theatrical experience I had all year. Yes, when it hits home video it probably won't have the same impact as it did in the IMAX, but even taking the big screen out of the equation it's an impeccably well-made movie about survival and rebirth that gripped me from beginning to end. Honorable mentions to Pacific Rim for being pure fun, Blue Jasmine for being a pretty good Woody Allen film, and Only God Forgives for being unforgettably strange and letting Nicolas Winding Refn indulge in his aesthetics. Despite what seemed like a bad summer for movies, it's been a really good year for movies as far as I'm concerned.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:

You mean the original OVA/episode 0? Most people recommend skipping it actually. The first half of that is a wonderful kinetic blur of animation and energy, but it's completely unrepresentative of where the TV series decides to go. The 2nd half is kind of pointless without the proper context.

I really hope Toei lets Matsumoto Rie do more full series in the future. The visual storytelling in Kyousogiga was really top-notch. And it's not a fluke; her PreCure episodes are easily the best in the franchise.
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
vinamara wrote:

You mean the original OVA/episode 0? Most people recommend skipping it actually. The first half of that is a wonderful kinetic blur of animation and energy, but it's completely unrepresentative of where the TV series decides to go. The 2nd half is kind of pointless without the proper context.

No, I meant episode 01. Episode 00 is more or less a preview of sorts which I wish didn't exist because its only purpose is to drive away potential viewers. Luckily, I was one of the few who was undeterred by 00.

Last edited by vinamara on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm just listening to Zac and Justin's opinions on Wolf Children.

Question to both of you:

Have you ever heard of the film genre called "haha-mono"?

It's a genre about mother love and mothers' place in the japanese family. The genre was especially popular in afterwar Japan's cinema. To me, Hosoda's Wolf Children is a kind of modern haha-mono movie, which would explain why the mother is so much idealized and doesn't really appear as a character with room for growth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I liked Eva 3.33 as well, I have a few issues with it but I love it regardless.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
Really had a lot of fun listening to this episode on my long drive to my aunts this Christmas. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested in knowing whether Justin read Tezuka's Phoenix: Karma before seeing the Rintaro-directed anime, because Zac clearly didn't. Surely that's got to factor into how you view the film, as that arc of the Phoenix is often considered the best thing Tezuka ever did. I can totally understand how a new viewer like Zac would give it a "good but not great" shrug, while fans of the manga hold it in much higher esteem. Put another way: I'd be interested if someone who hadn't read the manga was blown away by it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Justin, I'm confused by your comment that Watamote is "one of a handful of shows that [Crunchyroll] has not cleared to play on non-PC devices". I've been watching it on my iPad, and as a test just pulled it up on the Roku. It works fine on both. In fact, watching it on iPad is how I grab funny screenshots to post to Tumblr.

Maybe it's a subscription thing? I've been an anime-only subscriber and recently upped to the all-access pass on the Black Friday deal, but I assume you'd be expensing a membership for yourself too, right?
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Disney's Frozen: " They haven't ever made a movie where the chief relationship in it, that drives the entire story, is just between two conflicted siblings."

Is that not really similar to Lilo and Stitch?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Justin’s description of his hypothetical reaction to Watamote some years ago was a curious contrast to mine. I’m now and for the past, let’s say decade, have been not that far from the condition that Tomoko is in, but I find it cathartic. It’s nice to be made to think that I’m not unique or special. By the nature of that kind of state of mind, you’re trapped inside yourself and just don’t have access to comparable experiences.

I thought that the best, perhaps most subversive scene was Tomoko’s dream about being in a ‘do-nothing club’, because it was so committed to it and held to the concept so long. It was bracingly brutal.

I want to see Watamote again some day. I think that it was my favorite new series this year, with Eccentric Family and Kyōsōgiga close behind. (I'd be quite interested in hearing Zac and Justin talk about those two)

Harbor Light Story sounds excellently bonkers.

I don’t particularly like musical theater or Disney musicals. (Is that further evidence toward me being asexual or just weird?)

I remember the existence of adaptation of Les Miserables with Liam Neeson, but I’ve never seen it. The stage musical is also one of my exceptions to my otherwise not caring for musicals. I have not seen the much disdained film version of it; hearing Russell Crowe sing in the trailers was enough to convince me not to bother.

The only silent film that I’ve ever watched is Metropolis, which is really excellent and well worth seeing. I have a dumb mental block against watching them, even though I’m sure that there are a few that I would enjoy and be an excellent way to see what that era, which I am very curious about, was like. This entire swap was neat because it reminded me of being in graduate school when I would eagerly watch obscure old films that I happened upon by watching Turner Classic Movies, like Park Row, Five Star Final and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

I enjoyed this episode and I look forward to hearing more people involved. I think that I'd enjoy hearing Justin talk about horrible old sitcoms that Zac forced him to watch. (How much Mama's Family can you stand?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

The only silent film that I’ve ever watched is Metropolis, which is really excellent and well worth seeing. I have a dumb mental block against watching them, even though I’m sure that there are a few that I would enjoy and be an excellent way to see what that era, which I am very curious about, was like.

Sorry to jump in but I was pretty much like you when it came to silent films I had a block that made me go silent I can't enjoy that. However a comment someone said to me opened my eyes.

If you ever watch really early talkies most of them do not have a score and are a bit stagey. However silent films do not have this issue and are actually very cinematic (way more so than the early talkies) and then you have the score. Part of the experience of a silent film is watching with an amazing score. When I thought about telling a story with music I was able to appreciate silent films a lot more and now I am a big fan.

I personally recommend Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans which was my gateway drug and I think one of the best movies ever made. The story itself is very simple but the imagery and the way its put together it is just one of the most beautiful films.

Quote:
This entire swap was neat because it reminded me of being in graduate school when I would eagerly watch obscure old films that I happened upon by watching Turner Classic Movies, like Park Row, Five Star Final and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

I am not sure of the others but Life and Death of Colonel Blimp isn't too obscure but maybe I say this as an Archer's (Powell & Pressburger) fan. Very Happy

But when I am not watching anime chances are I am watching TCM.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
I'm just listening to Zac and Justin's opinions on Wolf Children.

Question to both of you:

Have you ever heard of the film genre called "haha-mono"?

It's a genre about mother love and mothers' place in the japanese family. The genre was especially popular in afterwar Japan's cinema. To me, Hosoda's Wolf Children is a kind of modern haha-mono movie, which would explain why the mother is so much idealized and doesn't really appear as a character with room for growth.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was the direction they went here.

The whole "Furry" thing alone I'm sure bugs plenty around here. For me, I probably fit the description of those who simply watched cartoons as a kid and merely liked the idea of animals doing/being/acting like humans anyway. This sort of thing of course has been around for centuries and even millenniums. Those like Fred Patten had grew up with the Golden Age cartoons of Disney and Warner Bros. of the mid 20th Century and even comic books that featured "Funny Animals" as they were called then.
http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/animals-that-should-be-animated/

I think the first time I ever heard of it as "Furry" came about in the mid/late 90's merely noticing homepages were being build over such familiar titles as The Secret of NIMH and TaleSpin, thinking it was rather novel someone like me actually had an interest not only in these shows, but in the characters and worlds they lived in, and wanted to see further adventures with said characters either through fanfics or fanart. It never really occurred to me that some people saw it far beyond that in a matter I would never think about at all (such as the "Sexual Hangups" already mentioned in the podcast). A lot of it really should stay on paper as I say, but I never see the reason for the so-called "lifestyle" approach to the fandom as I merely liked it on an artistic level that doesn't include fursuiting and beyond. I simply like what stories could be told with anthropomorphic characters or what worlds they might inhabit aside from our own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3