• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Idol Fined 650,000 Yen for Dating Contract Violation

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Idols are fun to watch, but I like my idols to be 2D. That's just me.

But really, more than anything, why would someone sign a contract where you can't date someone of the opposite sex? Like, you can fall in love so easily, of course you'd date someone, especially if you're a teenager.

Yeah, so, before I ask the question of 'Why is being a female idol so tough?', I ask, 'Why do you even want to become one if you know you're going to break a rule which can be so easily broken?' and 'Why do girls in Japan want to become idols in the first place?'.

I don't like the idol industry in Japan, particularly for female idols (and some seiyuu regarding 'purity') but this girl signed that contract. Why did she sign it?

Yes, fining someone for going out on a date is ridiculous but why did that girl agree to that stupid contract in the first place? And not just her, so many girls want to become idols and I just don't understand why.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
People should honor their contracts, but that kind of dumb thing shouldn't be in a contract to begin with. I guess it's just another cultural eccentricity of Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Look, I know this is very creepy, but she HAS to have known that that kind of thing will KILL a group. She basically took everyone else down with her.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
This is where I get really confused at the difference in culture between North America and Japan.

Over in North America, the idea that a star is dating is appealing and, while they may not be on the same level as idols in Japan, it is rarely taken as a bad thing. Sure, not everyone is into that stuff, but it's never taken to court over a disgruntled fan's beliefs that the actress/star shouldn't date.

So, for a girl to be fined over $5,000 for interacting with the opposite sex is honestly disgusting. While there are things I find interesting about the idol industry, this is one of those things that reveals just how rotten it is.

What do you mean by ' they may not be on the same level as idols in Japan'? If you're talking about artist/stars being more famous in Japan, I have to disagree. Smile
Sahmbahdeh

She didn't get fined just for dating someone, she got fined for breaking a signed legal contract. She shouldn't have signed it in the first place if she couldn't keep up her end of the deal.
infamoustakai

I love most things from Japan, I find the country utterly fascinating. But the idol culture is the one thing I absolutely cannot stand.

Ironically enough, I'm completely infatuated with Hatsune Miku. I'm ok with the hypocrisy.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
@DmonHiro I doubt she did since people rarely read contracts to the fullest before signing them. I doubt that many young idol hopefuls pay much attention to scenarios like this.
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
How can you date a contract violation?
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Who did she think she was? A human?

I want to be on her side completely, but she did sign a contract agreeing not to have a relationship while performing as an idol. I wonder if her parents signed the contract or if she did? Can 17-year-olds in Japan sign their own legally binding contracts?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
What a f***ing mockery of justice and morality. Still....

This is why you shouldn't sign anything until you read and agree to all that it locks you into, though.

I agree that they have a legal right to sue her but not a legal right to put something so dehumanizing in a contract.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sarukah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
I love most things from Japan, I find the country utterly fascinating. But the idol culture is the one thing I absolutely cannot stand.

Ironically enough, I'm completely infatuated with Hatsune Miku. I'm ok with the hypocrisy.

That kinda works though, since ya know, Miku isn't real. The things you probably hate about idol culture can't affect an idol that doesn't actually exist.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Can 17-year-olds in Japan sign their own legally binding contracts?

Actually she was 15 at the time of breach
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Actually she was 15 at the time of breach

And went to a hotel room with two male fans.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
But she is underage! How can this contract be legally binding?!

Anyway, I'm reading this piece of news and all I can think of is not whoring out teenage girls to the delusional male audience nor insanity of the idol fandom and business practices nor double standards between men and women when it comes to 'purity'.
What I think of is a slogan of a sort: Japan - the land where love is forbidden.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
That fine needs to be dropped this is not a crime, idol agencies are not the police or the government, and this fine is nothing more than an act of corporate tyranny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12