• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's With All The Censorship Lately?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit, please read my longer post above on the topic of Fates localization.

Many of the alterations were for the purpose of getting a larger paycheck, not making the game more appropriate for a US audience.

It's like paying someone to audit your company with the goal of increased efficiency and giving them X$ for every problem they notice, so they make up a bunch of changes with just the intention of making money instead of bettering your company.

Last edited by Ryomanagare on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
They do really like comedy revolving around sex over there, The problem in some western countries, America especially, to many people are stuck with a Victorian mindset towards sex.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
#854626 wrote:
It personally erks me to the point where I don't even watch certain animes that could have a real good plot otherwise such as my hero academia.

What the HIFL are you talking about? Who is getting sexuallised in My Hero Academia?

Didn't you know, the scene set womens rights back to the prehistoric kitchens?

That's cute.

I don't think games should be censored unless it contains top secret Government information or is a legitimate threat to national security (a game made by ISIS or Al Qaeda for example that promotes their cause or is used as a recruiting tool). A bare butt is not a threat to national security or is top secret information, we have rating systems, use them to full effect.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Ryomanagare wrote:
And thats a logical falacy. It doesnt make the action any less wrong.

So, let me see if I get this:

The game sold a lot, thus...

"Most people hate these changes, that's why so many people bought it": Logical.

"Most people doesn't care, that's why so many people bought it": Fallacy.

...OK, whatever you say.

Mr.Shonen wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
#854626 wrote:
It personally erks me to the point where I don't even watch certain animes that could have a real good plot otherwise such as my hero academia.

What the HIFL are you talking about? Who is getting sexuallised in My Hero Academia?

Didn't you know, the scene set womens rights back to the prehistoric kitchens?

I thought women's had the right to wear whatever they wish, would you prefer a Burka?

Anyways, that scene it's actually quite important for the Manga's plot, allow me to explain:

The scene was so the audience understood that Mt. Lady was not a hero because she wants to save people, but because she (and a lot of heroes) wants fame and money which is really important later on.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Any way you cut it, a creator choosing to change their own content absent the direction of a gatekeeper (Government, Producer/publisher) is creative expression, not censorship. If some group complains and urges them to change their content, that's the creator's choice to change it to avoid controversy. It's no different than panning a series and telling others not to watch it for whatever reason because you don't like the story, or the characters. No one is making the creator change anything - they do it because they want to quell any potential for larger outcry against their work.

That's not to say censorship doesn't exist. But most of what people tend to complain about nowadays isn't it. It's like Justin said - creators trying to reach a broader audience and avoid criticism that is otherwise difficult to rebuff. Kumamiko had a moment like that in its first episode. spoiler[Intentionally ironically, you had a local gov't official read a trio of 9 year-olds what we are led to believe to be a rather explicitly detailed story of a woman being raped by a bear. The thing is, the show cuts out the actual story, panning ahead in time to the reaction of the three kids. 9 year old kids. ] The latter half of the episode is really actually cringe worthy in knowing their are folks that would do this in real life and think it as funny as the show portrays the moment. And maybe you do too. But the choice of the writers/animators to not let the viewing audience in on the details of that story wouldn't count as censorship.

I think the history of censorship has allowed creators to effortlessly spawn an easy scapegoat by suggesting censorship when it's just a sales tactic. No different really from the accusations against Funimation for artificially upping the rating on their shows to lure in those enticed simply by the fact a show is rate TV/MA instead of TV-14, or the like.
SpacemanHardy

DmonHiro wrote:

I dunno... Momo's outfit is pretty revealing. Neutral

Not to mention that the invisible girl literally walks around naked...
Ryomanagare

Most people wouldn't report a crime they witnessed, so obviously the crime must not be a problem.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Once again, alterations to Fates were not made with the knowledge or consent of the games creators and said creators were extremely disheartened by the changes when they found out.
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Now that's an arse drawn by a hand that's never touched one.

Not technically true.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Ryomanagare wrote:
Once again, alterations to Fates were not made with the knowledge or consent of the games creators and said creators were extremely disheartened by the changes when they found out.

Which has nothing to do with my argument regarding mass appeal and market penetration.

If you wish to talk about how heartbroken the creators are or how moral acceptable these changes are then I am not your man.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
There's even censorship on Crunchyroll with "Monster Musume".
There's an uncut/uncensored version floating around on streaming sites.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

That's more likely because Crunchyroll only has access to the TV broadcast version for the simulcast instead of the uncensored home video version. Kind of like Funimation and High School DxD. It'll probably be updated closer to the physical release.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

That's because CR airs the Censored-Air TV Version to sell the uncensored Bluerays latter.

In the end, money speaks.
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I dunno... Momo's outfit is pretty revealing. Neutral

Not to mention that the invisible girl literally walks around naked...

1. Mt Lady is not over sexualized at all. This literally one of her only scenes in the series and she does it on purpose for money and fame. Heroes are the new celebrities.
2. Momo's costume is like that because of her Quirk. If your an anime only, you will learn later on why.
3. No, invisible girl is not naked (At School she wears a uniform). At home idk .

This series has literally little to no fan service scenes.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree with most changes they make when translating games, but man do people get a little overly upset about it.

We get way, way better localizations now than we did 25 years ago, that's for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11