• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Power Rangers Film Reveals Megazord Design, But in Toy Form

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
I might be using Hasbro as opposed to Bandai but my point stands. There was a dip in quality over the years. To top that off, there have been One-Step Changers with very little articulation. Similar can be said about this figure and its lack of moving joints.

As far as Bandai is concerned all you have to do is compare Japanese Super Sentai toys to the American Power Ranger toy caunterparts. They cut a lot of corners and downgrade a lot of things. However this actually looks worse than Bandai's usual offering.

Judging from those pictures it doesn't even look like they combine together, which should be the first priority with talking about sentai robots. It doesn't even look like it belongs in the same toyline considering there's so much gunmetal grey for something that supposedly results from red, blue, pink, yellow, and blue robots.

-Stuart Smith
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Nice Goldar repaint.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
As far as Bandai is concerned all you have to do is compare Japanese Super Sentai toys to the American Power Ranger toy counterparts. They cut a lot of corners and downgrade a lot of things.

A lot of that is because the American market isn't going to want to pay the premium Japan does for tokusatsu toys.
Savion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Wow thats extremely disappointing. Its so grey...

It doesn't look "Power Rangers super robot" at all. In fact it its design seems villainous. It also looks like a buff dude in a tight chain mail body suit lol.
Did they forget they were designing for kids? What kid wants to play with a grey hunking piece of plastic. I like the feet and some other parts but I feel like this design was trying to play it so safe/western(?) it ended up being boring which might alienate old fans and bore new ones.

The red dinobot model looks cheap too. I also see the Digimon comparisons people are making to these designs here too - sadly not in a good way in this case.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'll save my final judgment for when I see what the megazord looks like in the movie but until than all I can say is that this zord certainly does look unique. Confused
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Hilarious to see all the "Power Rangers/Tokusatsu" fans freak out about this movie constantly.

Newsflash, your little show was never cool. They're trying to get at least a few normal people to see this movie.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
Hilarious to see all the "Power Rangers/Tokusatsu" fans freak out about this movie constantly.

Newsflash, your little show was never cool. They're trying to get at least a few normal people to see this movie.
wtbff is Normal? sure the super sentai counter part to mighty morphin was stale story wise but atleast it wasn't a thirty five pound block of cheese that no one wanted to eat
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, someone has been playing too much Metroid.

Color-wise, it's a cheaply made figure from Bandai America, a company that's so notorious for cutting costs they don't even always paint the backs of their figures. This probably isn't the best representation of the movie version's colors with all that gray probably being more metallic.

Tajima wrote:
Newsflash, your little show was never cool.

Yeah, that thing you all like and have fond childhood memories of and has been on TV and toy store shelves for 20 years in America was a total failure and nobody likes it!

Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Yeah, that thing you all like and have fond childhood memories of and has been on TV and toy store shelves for 20 years in America was a total failure and nobody likes it!

No one said that; but good job (not really) changing my entire argument, and even going as far as to substitute new words that I never said in your sad attempt to "paraphrase" me. You'd go far in the political arena.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
That looks really, really embarrassing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Savion wrote:
Wow thats extremely disappointing. Its so grey...

It doesn't look "Power Rangers super robot" at all.
Too grey by any standard. The t-rex and sabre tooth zords are there only in the sense of little dabs of paint and the mastodon, triceratops and pterodactyl zords are nowhere to be seen at all. It's like they forgot it's supposed to be a combination of pieces. I'd actually like to see what sort of animation they've cooked up to make this work.
Quote:
In fact it its design seems villainous. It also looks like a buff dude in a tight chain mail body suit lol.
Or an Ecto-Morphicon. Are we sure somebody didn't goof up and show us Ivan Ooze instead?
Quote:
Did they forget they were designing for kids? What kid wants to play with a grey hunking piece of plastic. I like the feet and some other parts but I feel like this design was trying to play it so safe/western(?) it ended up being boring which might alienate old fans and bore new ones.
They're not designing for kids. They're trying to reach an adult audience they don't seem to understand. If they got out of the dark'n'edgy hugbox and grabbed some second opinions, they could've avoided this embarrassment.
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
If they got out of the dark'n'edgy hugbox and grabbed some second opinions, they could've avoided this embarrassment.

Yeah, they totally should have interviewed some hardcore Power Rangers/Anime fans for input on the design. Rolling Eyes

I'm sure that would've gone really well.
ew121

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

Nice bait there!

And by the way, anime was "never cool" either yet here you are.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

Trolling aside, you are right about that last one. Hollywood does not care about fans of established franchises they only care about the general audience. You're never going to see a faithful adaption out of movies because they always cast their net out as wide as possible.

-Stuartt Smith
Merman-X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
everyone should have realized this isn't the transforming & combining version of the toy, there is an image of the proper combining toy few days ago, so far it looks like it would pass as a Kyoryuger/Dino Charge Megazord in terms of design as a toy so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3