• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, May 22-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Samiamiam wrote:
The king takes his crown. Wont even be close either. Yuri on Ice will have a massive 10k+ higher average than the second highest seller of 2016. (Which is Love Live Sunshine) GBF so crushed that it didn't even stand a chance for a thumbnail. Guess it'll have to wait till next month.

Maybe in this race, but it does get nudged from the sidelines. Kemono Friends averages around 60000+ copies per volume(ie guidebook with BD attached). But as said, it isn't listed in this category...

You do realize that YoI is going to average 65000+ with volumes that are 2x+ expensive as KF? Like people throw around the v1/2 120k distributed for KF but YoI had a 140k reported v1/2 (distributed likely being much higher). Its doubtful that KF sold nearly as much. V1/2 arent even its highest volumes after this week
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Samiamiam wrote:
The king takes his crown. Wont even be close either. Yuri on Ice will have a massive 10k+ higher average than the second highest seller of 2016. (Which is Love Live Sunshine) GBF so crushed that it didn't even stand a chance for a thumbnail. Guess it'll have to wait till next month.

Maybe in this race, but it does get nudged from the sidelines. Kemono Friends averages around 60000+ copies per volume(ie guidebook with BD attached). But as said, it isn't listed in this category...

It's important to note that printed copies aren't necessarily sold copies -for instance, there was a time in which numerous subsequent One Piece manga volumes broke print records with over 4 million copies, yet I don't think any volume did ever reach those 4 million in reported sales- and that those guidebook/BD combos are half the price than regular anime DVD/BD.

And heeellish Christ, I was NOT expecting YOI 6 to have such a huge boost. I'm still in disbelief that a show that was hardly in the Japanese audience's radar before it aired (I don't think it even made the top 20 in Charapedia's usual poll?) ended up becoming the best selling anime of the year and with an average 10K advantage over the second place, Love Live Sunshine

Ya'll do realize that season 2 is coming out so that means LLSS is going to average more sales right?? Or am i just bugging out? Fall is still in this year you know. So thar 10k difference is going to close. Especially since the first live isn't even out yet (which will come out most likely later after the final Happy Party Train tour)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

Ya'll do realize that season 2 is coming out so that means LLSS is going to average more sales right?? Or am i just bugging out? Fall is still in this year you know. So thar 10k difference is going to close. Especially since the first live isn't even out yet (which will come out most likely later after the final Happy Party Train tour)

Whatever are you on? For starters, Yuri on Ice aired from October to December of 2016. It's a 2016 show. Even if Sunshine 2 were to have a higher sales average (and that's a very strong if, it's extremely rare for second seasons to outsell their predecessors), it would count as a 2017 series, its sales wouldn't average with S1's except maybe in overall-franchise charts. Heck, for the sake of argument let's say Season 2 of Sunshine managed to equal the success of LL2 (not gonna happen, Aqours is eons away from Muse's popularity) which had a sales average of 67K. If it was combined and averaged with S1, it would still be lower than YOI.

And besides, more disks actually tends to mean lower average sales because most series experience a drop in sales the more volumes it has. For a very crude example, LLSS v1 sold 83K+ but with volumes 3-4 dipping as low as 35K and 5-6 barely reaching 50K, its average ended rounding at 54K.

Besides, the distance isn't even 10 thousand copies, it's ten thousand average. LLSS would have to sell roughly 70 000 more copies to breach that distance, and with the event ticket applications over, that's just not going to happen. And on that matter without its five concert ticket bonuses, LLSS wouldn't even have been competition for YOI, volumes 5 and 6 were struggling to make 35K before the concert tickets were announced. And live events aren't generally counted into the regular series's average. At least, most sales trackers don't.

Basically, there is literally absolutely no way Yuri on Ice loses its crown for best-selling anime of 2016
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:

Whatever are you on? For starters, Yuri on Ice aired from October to December of 2016. It's a 2016 show. Even if Sunshine 2 were to have a higher sales average (and that's a very strong if, it's extremely rare for second seasons to outsell their predecessors), it would count as a 2017 series, its sales wouldn't average with S1's except maybe in overall-franchise charts. Heck, for the sake of argument let's say Season 2 of Sunshine managed to equal the success of LL2 (not gonna happen, Aqours is eons away from Muse's popularity) which had a sales average of 67K. If it was combined and averaged with S1, it would still be lower than YOI.

And besides, more disks actually tends to mean lower average sales because most series experience a drop in sales the more volumes it has. For a very crude example, LLSS v1 sold 83K+ but with volumes 3-4 dipping as low as 35K and 5-6 barely reaching 50K, its average ended rounding at 54K.

Besides, the distance isn't even 10 thousand copies, it's ten thousand average. LLSS would have to sell roughly 70 000 more copies to breach that distance, and with the event ticket applications over, that's just not going to happen. And on that matter without its five concert ticket bonuses, LLSS wouldn't even have been competition for YOI, volumes 5 and 6 were struggling to make 35K before the concert tickets were announced. And live events aren't generally counted into the regular series's average. At least, most sales trackers don't.

Basically, there is literally absolutely no way Yuri on Ice loses its crown for best-selling anime of 2016

What?? Dude, chill out. Just..chill..i was just saying. Sorry to hurt your fandom power. But still, when figuring out the franchise they don't just count cd sales you know. They take all merchandise into effect. And I didn't know you could see into the future, what is the next anime season going to be like? Please, tell me!! I would love to know. Secondly, dude, even with the tickets at hand, LoveLive Sunshine sold really damn well. And what makes you think people wouldn't buy more when the second season starts to roll around?? And isn't it calculated by franchise sales than just the "dvd sales"?? LoveLive Sunshine definitely outbeat YOI when it comes to CD/ Sountrack sales.(they are idols of course and are realky good at what they do). And don't speak for everyone when it comes to "oh they aren't going to be as popular as muse" let the sales speak for itself. It already showed that they can sell like Muse did. So stop. Not only that there's concert sales(also which LoveLive Sunshine dominate in) and also regular merch. I didn't mean to rant on and on but just don't get so heated.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But still, when figuring out the franchise they don't just count cd sales you know. They take all merchandise into effect.

Merchandise sales numbers reports are nowhere near precise (Oricon's aren't 100% infallible, but they're at least some kind of metric). As far as I know, there is no centralized tracking for merchandise and derivatives and there's such diversity of merch produced by such a large amount of companies, I'd imagine it'd be largely impossible to make one

Quote:
And I didn't know you could see into the future, what is the next anime season going to be like? Please, tell me!! I would love to know. And what makes you think people wouldn't buy more when the second season starts to roll around??

I'm extrapolating from otaku buying patterns. Of course, there's always a chance I'll be proved wrong, but in terms of "what are the odds S2 will outsell S1" I'd say 9.9 in 10 it won't. And I even gave you an extremely generous and unrealistic scenario in which it did, and the home video average still didn't top YOI. Besides, you were the one that started making predictions about how LLSS 2 would make more combined sales and make the 10k difference or whatever, which still doesn't make any sense, mind you, so I don't know why you're now coming at me for making estimates.

The otaku market just doesn't work that way. People who are going to watch (and buy) S2 will most likely already have watched and bought S1. A few new fans may be brought in, but not enough to buy the 70K that S1 would need to top YOI's average

Quote:
And isn't it calculated by franchise sales than just the "dvd sales"??LoveLive Sunshine definitely outbeat YOI when it comes to CD/ Sountrack sales.

This is why I asked what even are you on, you're shifting the goalposts in the weirdest ways that make no sense to the discussion at hand. We're discussing exclusively home video numbers (DVD/BD) because they're the ones we have (they're what this article is about. When did I ever mention any other type of metric? We don't have them) and that are relatively comparable. Of course LL sells more CDs it's a franchise about music with dozens upon dozens of CDs. YOI has one (1) OST and the OP/ED singles vs hours of LL music, YOI's OST still sold a ton even without featuring any popular idol (44K physical copies on its first week and ranked #1 on digital sales) and Dean Fujioka was in the top ten on iTunes when the OP single was released fwiw.

Quote:
And don't speak for everyone when it comes to "oh they aren't going to be as popular as muse" let the sales speak for itself. It already showed that they can sell like Muse did.

Uhhh I wasn't, (just like I never even implied that LLS sales were remotely bad or unimpressive, that'd be ridiculous). I've never heard a single song from either group, I have no opinion or stake on which is better or more popular. But again, buying patterns and just what's showing. Aqours concerts seem to not be nearly as solicited as M's -of course there's the factor of M's longevity that make people more attached to them, so Aqours could potentially get more popular as they get more experience, but as of now, they're not in fact selling as much as Muse did. For the sake of comparison, LL2 v1 sold 116k whilst LLS v1 sold 83k, both had event tickets for a concert of their respective group. So we could say, if we were to take it in the most absolute way, that Aqours is at the very least 30k off from Muse.

FTR, my original post was simply to express how surprised and excited I am to find my favorite show of last year, which was an original property no one expected to make any sales before it aired (The creators were a barely recognized mangaka and a director that had only helmed financial flops, and even the studio hadn't had any great success in any of their previous productions), turned out to not only sell spectacularly, but actually become the best selling show of the year, beating out juggernaut franchises such as LL, Utapri and Tourabu. That's really it. The rest has all been to try and understand what point are you trying to make, because I find your posts more confusing than they are argumentative.

TL;DR My point here is that BD/DVD is the only relatively equal ground of comparison for sales numbers because a) we have the sales numbers and b) they both have roughly the same amount of episodes and BD volumes. Which is why I'm focusing exclusively on that data to make the comparison. If you said "Well, Love Live dominates concert sales" I mean... duh, YOI has never held any concerts, of course Love Live has sold more concerts. But both have about the same amount of DVD/BD. And in that specific and relatively balanced metric, YOI sold more. A lot more.

Now, is it possible that at the end of the year, when the data for most profitable franchises is released with estimate earnings, Love Live as a franchise comes out on top? Yes, I think it's pretty much a given -it's an older and extremely popular franchise with games, lots of music, concerts, dozens of figures, three seasons and a fourth one coming, buttloads of merchandise, movies, popular idols- but in terms of BD/DVD, YOI is irrevocably the best selling anime of 2016
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
But still, when figuring out the franchise they don't just count cd sales you know. They take all merchandise into effect.

Merchandise sales numbers reports are nowhere near precise (Oricon's aren't 100% infallible, but they're at least some kind of metric). As far as I know, there is no centralized tracking for merchandise and derivatives and there's such diversity of merch produced by such a large amount of companies, I'd imagine it'd be largely impossible to make one

Quote:
And I didn't know you could see into the future, what is the next anime season going to be like? Please, tell me!! I would love to know. And what makes you think people wouldn't buy more when the second season starts to roll around??

I'm extrapolating from otaku buying patterns. Of course, there's always a chance I'll be proved wrong, but in terms of "what are the odds S2 will outsell S1" I'd say 9.9 in 10 it won't. And I even gave you an extremely generous and unrealistic scenario in which it did, and the home video average still didn't top YOI. Besides, you were the one that started making predictions about how LLSS 2 would make more combined sales and make the 10k difference or whatever, which still doesn't make any sense, mind you, so I don't know why you're now coming at me for making estimates.

The otaku market just doesn't work that way. People who are going to watch (and buy) S2 will most likely already have watched and bought S1. A few new fans may be brought in, but not enough to buy the 70K that S1 would need to top YOI's average

Quote:
And isn't it calculated by franchise sales than just the "dvd sales"??LoveLive Sunshine definitely outbeat YOI when it comes to CD/ Sountrack sales.

This is why I asked what even are you on, you're shifting the goalposts in the weirdest ways that make no sense to the discussion at hand. We're discussing exclusively home video numbers (DVD/BD) because they're the ones we have (they're what this article is about. When did I ever mention any other type of metric? We don't have them) and that are relatively comparable. Of course LL sells more CDs it's a franchise about music with dozens upon dozens of CDs. YOI has one (1) OST and the OP/ED singles vs hours of LL music, YOI's OST still sold a ton even without featuring any popular idol (44K physical copies on its first week and ranked #1 on digital sales) and Dean Fujioka was in the top ten on iTunes when the OP single was released fwiw.

Quote:
And don't speak for everyone when it comes to "oh they aren't going to be as popular as muse" let the sales speak for itself. It already showed that they can sell like Muse did.

Uhhh I wasn't, (just like I never even implied that LLS sales were remotely bad or unimpressive, that'd be ridiculous). I've never heard a single song from either group, I have no opinion or stake on which is better or more popular. But again, buying patterns and just what's showing. Aqours concerts seem to not be nearly as solicited as M's -of course there's the factor of M's longevity that make people more attached to them, so Aqours could potentially get more popular as they get more experience, but as of now, they're not in fact selling as much as Muse did. For the sake of comparison, LL2 v1 sold 116k whilst LLS v1 sold 83k, both had event tickets for a concert of their respective group. So we could say, if we were to take it in the most absolute way, that Aqours is at the very least 30k off from Muse.

FTR, my original post was simply to express how surprised and excited I am to find my favorite show of last year, which was an original property no one expected to make any sales before it aired (The creators were a barely recognized mangaka and a director that had only helmed financial flops, and even the studio hadn't had any great success in any of their previous productions), turned out to not only sell spectacularly, but actually become the best selling show of the year, beating out juggernaut franchises such as LL, Utapri and Tourabu. That's really it. The rest has all been to try and understand what point are you trying to make, because I find your posts more confusing than they are argumentative.

TL;DR My point here is that BD/DVD is the only relatively equal ground of comparison for sales numbers because a) we have the sales numbers and b) they both have roughly the same amount of episodes and BD volumes. Which is why I'm focusing exclusively on that data to make the comparison. If you said "Well, Love Live dominates concert sales" I mean... duh, YOI has never held any concerts, of course Love Live has sold more concerts. But both have about the same amount of DVD/BD. And in that specific and relatively balanced metric, YOI sold more. A lot more.

Now, is it possible that at the end of the year, when the data for most profitable franchises is released with estimate earnings, Love Live as a franchise comes out on top? Yes, I think it's pretty much a given -it's an older and extremely popular franchise with games, lots of music, concerts, dozens of figures, three seasons and a fourth one coming, buttloads of merchandise, movies, popular idols- but in terms of BD/DVD, YOI is irrevocably the best selling anime of 2016

Stop asking what am I on, because that is so FRIGGIN rude. Secondly u said at the end of your dorst post, "best selling anine of 2016)" meaning I thought u meant franchise wise. And how the hell Oricon isn't accurate?? What?? I wasn't shifting narratives. Be more clear next time. Also, don't be so rude. We cna have a discussion without you constantly asking what I'm on. I never insulted you so don't do that to me.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I apologize if I offended you, I only meant it as a hyperbolic way to show how confused I was by what you were trying to argue because it doesn't make any sense. How could I possibly be talking about full franchise sales when we a) don't have the data b) under no circumstances could I call YOI a better-selling franchise than Love Live considering, as I said, how wide the latter branches out and that it's been around for years and.

The article is about home media, what everyone is discussing is home media sales, what else could I be talking about?

About Oricon, from someanithing

Quote:
3.1.2 Oricon’s Cons
  - Not everything is reported. As seen in 3.1, if a disc ranks outside the first threshold it’s never counted, outside the second threshold we don’t (directly) see it.
  - Thresholds can be high enough to prevent low sellers from ranking at all, or ranking past the first week.
  - Due to the above (and other factors), sales reporting is heavily front-loaded, with very few discs ranking beyond their first 2 weeks.
  - Because coverage methods and video formats have changed over time, comparing sales of recent series to those from even 5 years ago is difficult.
  - While they cover many retailers, by no means do they cover all. KyoAni Shop, for example, does not report sales to Oricon.
  - There can be very large gaps between what Oricon reports and what distributors report. See this post for examples.
 - Oricon does not count international orders!

It's the only and biggest source we have, but by no means is it 100% infallible.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
I wish other original 2016 anime like "91Days", "Kiznaiver" or "Mayoiga" could sell at least 1/2 of the overall YOI! sales. This is because it would be nice seeing the lesser known titles of 2016 make a comeback.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Idols and ice skating are ruling again. Imagine an anime that combines both.

It's been done, actually. It's was the Pretty Rhythm franchise, which morphed into PriPara.

CrowLia wrote:

FTR, my original post was simply to express how surprised and excited I am to find my favorite show of last year, which was an original property no one expected to make any sales before it aired (The creators were a barely recognized mangaka and a director that had only helmed financial flops, and even the studio hadn't had any great success in any of their previous productions), turned out to not only sell spectacularly, but actually become the best selling show of the year, beating out juggernaut franchises such as LL, Utapri and Tourabu. That's really it.

It is quite an accomplishment, but if people could predict hits there would be no duds afterall. The same could be said of the dead app based Kemono Friends this year. Both had little expectations from consumers.

-Stuart Smith
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Even though A Silent Voice sold very respectably, I still feel that it underperformed in sales. It's just that good of a film. Everyone should see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2