• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I made this Sakuga MAD/Anime Music Video for the show pretty much as soon as it wrapped up because I was so taken by every aspect of this show's production. I'm not really trying to self-promote, but feel free to give it a watch.

Just saw your video. Great job! It's crazy how inspiring this show can be.
Akaname

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I'd totally watch this show...if it wasn't for the blatant depictions of nude children on a regular basis.

I haven't seen anything like this criticism before. Any truth to this?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I'd totally watch this show...if it wasn't for the blatant depictions of nude children on a regular basis.

From what I've heard, there is quite a bit of truth to that... in the manga. In the anime there's nothing really objectionable. (Visually, that is. There is some comedic discussion of Reg's... ahem... third extendable arm). Many scenes could have been rather inappropriate, but they all used various forms of censoring (and not the kind that gets removed for the blu-ray).

This is another reason I'm really hoping the anime continues, because I'm not sure I'd be comfortable reading the manga, unless it's not nearly as bad as people make it sound.

Last edited by kotomikun on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:
FireChick wrote:

It's a wild over-exaggeration. I haven't read the manga but I understand there are more representations of nudity in it relative to the anime. The anime had a few brief moments where nothing was particularly explicit. If that's enough to keep you from watching one of the best anime shows in years, please enjoy your hysteria.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Lol, yeah, no. Like Blood- noted, it's a massive exaggeration. There are a couple of scenes(1000% earned, by the way), where characters aren't dressed, but it is not exploitative at all. And in context, even serves a reasonable narrative and thematic purpose. The fact that it wasn't even noted in the review should tell you as much as you need to know. It's a huge shame that there are people avoiding this show on that basis.
If you can't handle some body horror, or emotionally intense content, I understand avoiding the show because of that, but not the nudity. I mean, I've literally been watching this with my parents over the last couple of weeks and they love it(no, they aren't particularly unusual).
Ergzay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Silent-Ninja wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
What else is there to say about this show that hasn’t been said already? Simply a fantastic show and a great review by Mr. Creamer. One of the best of the year and I hope season 2 can happen for it soon.

Agreed. Although I share your wish for an eventual season 2, the manga doesn't have enough chapters to warrant enough material for it unfortunately. The anime adaptation leaves off at Chapter 26 and the manga is 16 chapters ahead (at this time of writing). Not to mention that the series' mangaka is very slow with drawing new chapters for it. Who knows when we'll get another season? I just hope it's not too long like 5 years or something lol.

I've seen a couple people say this but people are assuming the chapters are equivalent in length, this is not at all the case. I have all 6 Japanese volumes and the anime cuts off at 1.5 chapters (page 33) into volume 4. In terms of actual page count we're almost precisely at half way through the available material. A couple chapters (3-4) and we'll have enough for another series. Every volume so far is almost exactly 160 pages with variable number of chapters per book. So for another series we need another 66 pages or so of content beyond Volume 6 (which I think already exists?).
Ergzay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Akaname wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Lol, yeah, no. Like Blood- noted, it's a massive exaggeration. There are a couple of scenes(1000% earned, by the way), where characters aren't dressed, but it is not exploitative at all. And in context, even serves a reasonable narrative and thematic purpose. The fact that it wasn't even noted in the review should tell you as much as you need to know. It's a huge shame that there are people avoiding this show on that basis.
If you can't handle some body horror, or emotionally intense content, I understand avoiding the show because of that, but not the nudity. I mean, I've literally been watching this with my parents over the last couple of weeks and they love it(no, they aren't particularly unusual).

To be frank this doesn't affect me at all but yes there is nudity but yes also it's used for the purpose of the story and to develop the characters. A better question is if those same people are upset when cameras are brought into several of societies in Africa and South America where people don't use much clothing and then film children as part of filming the rest of the society. In a fantasy setting you can't extract the facets and tropes of that world into our world and have them apply. Heck one of the messages in this show is "indirect cannibalism is okay because it's the circle of life and the blood and meat of our ancestors we eat by eating these animals makes us stronger". Content needs to be taken in context.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:

I've seen a couple people say this but people are assuming the chapters are equivalent in length, this is not at all the case. I have all 6 Japanese volumes and the anime cuts off at 1.5 chapters (page 33) into volume 4. In terms of actual page count we're almost precisely at half way through the available material. A couple chapters (3-4) and we'll have enough for another series. Every volume so far is almost exactly 160 pages with variable number of chapters per book. So for another series we need another 66 pages or so of content beyond Volume 6 (which I think already exists?).

Ah, thanks for the information. This is good to know. I guess we hopefully won't have too much longer to wait for a sequel announcement.... please
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Ergzay wrote:

Ah, thanks for the information. This is good to know. I guess we hopefully won't have too much longer to wait for a sequel announcement.... please

Only if the author feels motivated ..
Seriously the author releases chapters when he feels like it.There are random long arse pauses between chapters, he really gets into playing Splatoon and now Splatoon 2.
Edit: He has gone from a month to four plus months between chapters.
re-Edited:Writing the manga was a bit of aside job,he was a working illustrator,the guy is a character on his twitter.

Currently "volume" 6 consists of a whopping 4 chapters, the author has tweeted recently that he has decided to try and release chapter 43 in Nov.(maybe).That would still leave the current arc a far cry from being finished in "3-4" chapters.

The author did give the usual standard answer of "if the sales are great" yadda yadda,so perhaps that will give him some motivation to write.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
And nudity in Made in Abyss,what now?

There has been no full on nudity in Made in Abyss,closest you'll get is Riko taking a bath with her hair covering the naughty bits.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Those who attempt to probe its depths are known as “whistles”

I thought they were called "cave raiders" (there's another term I've seen manga readers use, but it escapes me at the moment).

I think cave raider:whistle :: soldier:rank:, with the colors being analogous to private, sergeant, captain, etc., though not quite in the same chain-of-command sense.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Those who attempt to probe its depths are known as “whistles”

I thought they were called "cave raiders" (there's another term I've seen manga readers use, but it escapes me at the moment).

I think cave raider:whistle :: soldier:rank:, with the colors being analogous to private, sergeant, captain, etc., though not quite in the same chain-of-command sense.

Yeah, you're right. The whistle designates skill level, "cave raiders" is what people who attempt to probe its depths are actually called.
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:
Silent-Ninja wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
What else is there to say about this show that hasn’t been said already? Simply a fantastic show and a great review by Mr. Creamer. One of the best of the year and I hope season 2 can happen for it soon.

Agreed. Although I share your wish for an eventual season 2, the manga doesn't have enough chapters to warrant enough material for it unfortunately. The anime adaptation leaves off at Chapter 26 and the manga is 16 chapters ahead (at this time of writing). Not to mention that the series' mangaka is very slow with drawing new chapters for it. Who knows when we'll get another season? I just hope it's not too long like 5 years or something lol.

Thank you kindly for the information Ergzay. Good to know we may not have to wait too long. I sincerely apologize if I came off as ignorant or misinformed and had zero intention of spreading misinformation.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
And nudity in Made in Abyss,what now?

There has been no full on nudity in Made in Abyss,closest you'll get is Riko taking a bath with her hair covering the naughty bits.

Technically, that is still nudity; however, it's non-sexual and non-detailed to the point where it really shouldn't be a concern. (The IMDb Parents Guide refers to it as "infrequent", "nondescript/nonsexual", and "presented in a very innocent fashion", all of which is correct.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
Whistles = Cave Raiders = Delvers ... I think. Same difference!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5