• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Weeks of Oct 1-21 [2017-10-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gonna be a battle all season for the bottom spot between Dies irae and King's Game, unless something changes. Must be a glutton for punishment since I'm actually still watching both of them. Razz

I feel pretty sure that King's Game will "win" that battle. It's real rival is Evil or Live which of course isn't showing up because it's not being reviled... er, I mean, it's not being reviewed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Also surprised at Osomatsu low rank, I though it was super popular.

It is popular in Japan but not so much over here. I am frankly surprised at its ranking; I thought it was going to be lower.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see AMB being in number one place. I am positive that if the manga weren't already beloved (or it was anime-original) then it wouldn't get the top spot. There are two shows which narrowly beat it and four which go so far as to blow it out of the water. Seventh best of the season is a respectable placing but nowhere near the god-tier best-show-of-the-past-few-years masterpiece that people claim it to be.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Sad to see AMB being in number one place. I am positive that if the manga weren't already beloved (or it was anime-original) then it wouldn't get the top spot. There are two shows which narrowly beat it and four which go so far as to blow it out of the water. Seventh best of the season is a respectable placing but nowhere near the god-tier best-show-of-the-past-few-years masterpiece that people claim it to be.

With all due respect, those are in your opinion, which is perfectly valid and reasonable. But in terms of the aggregate of this site's users, the only show of the top ten on this site that gets higher average ratings is Gintama, and that may be chalked up to differences in viewerbases for both shows (though I remember Gintama's ratings being a little lower during the preview guide). It isn't blowing the other shows out of the water, but it has gotten consistently better ratings than the rest of the shows this season, and therefore it is no surprise that it is on top.

By the by, which are the shows that in your opinion edge out AMB and the ones that blow it out of the water?
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm guessing the second season of 3-gatsu no Lion ("March Comes in like a Lion") will make a comeback as the season progresses. A number of commentators were unhappy about how the season began.

Girls' Last Tour is undoubtedly the sleeper hit of the season. It has a downbeat premise but is surprisingly light-hearted. Tonally, I've not seen anything like it.

3-gatsu no Lion S2's ranking makes me sad and doesn't get enough love imo. Sad I also hope the same for its future in the rankings. It's my AOTS (including sequels).

Agreed about Girls' Last Tour. It's certainly the surprise of the season and has such beautiful tonal contrast.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
the god-tier best-show-of-the-past-few-years masterpiece that people claim it to be.

I visit ANN everyday, and I have not seen people claiming that AMB is a masterpiece and the best show of the last few years. It has certainly been very hyped, but I don't think it is blowing people away yet. That being said, AMB is the best show from this young season; it is no masterpiece, but it is a solid show that is probably going to become better.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe James's reign of terror over the bottom of the rankings has finally ended
SeeKai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
For me, kekkai sensen, 3-gatsu no lion and Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou are better shows than AMB.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
...There are some surprises to me though, as while I liked both shows, I didn’t expect to see Girl’s Last Tour or MMO Junkie so high up.

I'm actually not surprised at MMO Junkie, the word around ANN (including the recent This Week in Anime) and even Crunchyroll has been very positive, and I'm all for it as a Comico fan. Should I jump on the Girls' Last Tour train though?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I can't believe James's reign of terror over the bottom of the rankings has finally ended

They had to give the guy a break some time. Or at least he got tired of doing that season in, season out. Though I will say I think at least one (Vatican Miracle Examiners) was more accidental than intentional.

Let us now ring in a new reign of terror over the bottom under Chris.

lostbirdinatree wrote:
I'm actually not surprised at MMO Junkie, the word around ANN (including the recent This Week in Anime) and even Crunchyroll has been very positive, and I'm all for it as a Comico fan. Should I jump on the Girls' Last Tour train though?

Actually, looking at the cumulative rankings, 9 does seem about right, so I guess it was more that the third episode got top 5 in the weeklies, but that was a good episode.

If you're interested in Girl's Last Tour, I would check it out. While the first two episodes didn't quite match the expectations I had coming in, the third episode did manage to reach that level and was a great episode. While it isn't my favorite this season, it's definitely on the upper end of my list for this season.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Key wrote:
Gonna be a battle all season for the bottom spot between Dies irae and King's Game, unless something changes. Must be a glutton for punishment since I'm actually still watching both of them. Razz

I feel pretty sure that King's Game will "win" that battle. It's real rival is Evil or Live which of course isn't showing up because it's not being reviled... er, I mean, it's not being reviewed.

Interestingly, Evil or Live is the only one of these three shows that I'm actually still following. I didn't even try Dies irae after reading the previews, but King's Game was mean-spirited in a way that kind of upset me, and I dropped that in the second episode. Evil or Live somehow hasn't felt mean-spirited in the same way as King's Game, but has all of the same ridiculous over-the-top stuff that people say makes King's Game fun.

Niello wrote:
Haven't watch Kino episode 3 yet. Is it worth following? I don't want to get to disappointed.

Have you seen the first series or read the novels? If yes, you may be disappointed. If no, give it a shot. It's a decent action show with some interesting, if a little confused, philosophy.

angelmcazares wrote:
In the cumulative the top 10 is more or less what I expected. Kino's Journey and Himōto! Umaru-chan R seem kind of low to me.

I think older fans of Kino are sort of disappointed with the direction that it has gone so far. The first episode was definitely the strongest, but the second and third have both been fairly controversial in both their content and the particular way they were adapted. So far it hasn't really offered the kind of stuff that I mostly go to Kino for, and I feel like that is a shared sentiment among a lot of fans. It has been reasonably well received by many new-comers to the franchise though, according to CR comments at least(notoriously not the best place to look for genuine opinions on a show, admittedly).
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I’m personally fine seeing AMB at the top. It’s my number one for this season so far as is also the same with many others, but it looks like it didn’t quite click the same way with everyone as it did for me. That’s fine, we all have different wants, and it’s currently just the first three episodes as this list shows us. Still plenty of time for it and other series to develop and become more enjoyable (or not).
Niello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Personally I am expecting Girl's Last Tour to over take AMB soon. The only it's up so high is mainly because of hype and manga readers, I can really imagine it being much else. There are a number of anime (old and new) this season whose episodes have been outdoing AMB. The story should become stronger as it progresses, but I don't have faith in it. The dragon episode has really good material for them to work with, and as far as I'm concern the anime didn't make good use of that potential nearly as much as they should have.

_______

relyat08 wrote:

Niello wrote:
Haven't watch Kino episode 3 yet. Is it worth following? I don't want to get to disappointed.

Have you seen the first series or read the novels? If yes, you may be disappointed. If no, give it a shot. It's a decent action show with some interesting, if a little confused, philosophy.

I read volume 1 and 2 of the light novel and watched the anime years later. I know it's a bit too early to ask. I wasn't impressed by the first two episodes. Although not bad, it feels generic. Because it's Kino I don't want to get disappointed, but if it can hold up well, then I don't quite want to miss watching it weekly as it becomes available either.

I might end up asking the same question around mid way through the season.

Last edited by Niello on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
With all due respect, those are in your opinion, which is perfectly valid and reasonable. But in terms of the aggregate of this site's users, the only show of the top ten on this site that gets higher average ratings is Gintama, and that may be chalked up to differences in viewerbases for both shows (though I remember Gintama's ratings being a little lower during the preview guide). It isn't blowing the other shows out of the water, but it has gotten consistently better ratings than the rest of the shows this season, and therefore it is no surprise that it is on top.

Of course it is on top, given the high ratings it is garnering from fans. But what I was pondering is that if there was no source material - and therefore no established fanbase - would the show have gotten anywhere near this amount of love and attention? Of course not. And furthermore, it is my belief that it would not have gotten the impressive ratings either, because the hype would not have existed.

You agree that it is not blowing other shows out of the water. Naturally, I believe the reason for this is because it is not as good as other shows in the first place. Hence, my answer to your following question:

zrnzle500 wrote:
By the by, which are the shows that in your opinion edge out AMB and the ones that blow it out of the water?

Right-oh.

Inuyashiki, Just Because!, Recovery of an MMO Junkie, and Girls' Last Tour are all in my view clearly superior to AMB. While the four make an eclectic mix, each one has a great cast of characters and is guided by a wonderful directorial effort. Characters and direction; two areas where AMB is struggling, so that isn't a surprise.

Children of the Whales and Konohana Kitan are slightly better than AMB, and yes I accept this is not a widely-held viewpoint. But the former has superior world-building and an interesting plot, while the latter has cute lesbian foxgirls of all ages and bust-sizes is getting better with every episode, with its fourth being very moving (and funny) to watch.

I'm not (yet) watching BBB&B or March Comes in Like a Lion 2 (I plan to rewatch the first seasons of both of them before tackling their sequels), so for all I know they could be in the running too.

angelmcazares wrote:
I visit ANN everyday, and I have not seen people claiming that AMB is a masterpiece and the best show of the last few years. It has certainly been very hyped, but I don't think it is blowing people away yet.

Yeah, I overdid it a bit with the hyperbole.

That said, the ratings it has thus-far received are completely at odds with the actual quality I'm seeing from it.

angelmcazares wrote:
That being said, AMB is the best show from this young season; it is no masterpiece, but it is a solid show that is probably going to become better.

Hey hey, first you say that AMB isn't blowing people away and then you claim it is the best of the season.

I hope it becomes better. At the moment it is anime's most overhyped 7.5/10. Which like I said is still a respectable score, just not the tour de force of character writing I was told to prepare for. If it's holding its cards to its chest then now is about time to reveal them, methinks.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
@Niello No, only Gintama has higher ratings than AMB. I checked. I can make a table of all of the episodes covered by these rankings if need be. Unless it drops a bit and Girl’s Last Tour keeps at its rating for the third episode, Girl’s Last Tour is not set to over take it, as its first three episodes only get a 4.1, 4.3, and 4.5 to AMB’s 4.5, 4.4, and 4.5. It has to overtake 4 other shows first though. DBS does have the best rated episode in the time span, but anyone can see that it is ready to fall from its current second place cumulative rank anytime now.

@dtm42 I don’t think just hype can sustain the show even for this long. If most didn’t believe believe that it was meeting that hype, it wouldn’t be rated so highly, though of course you are free to disagree.

Inuyashiki does have better direction, though one might take issue with their use of CG in a few scenes beyond the parts where the characters are in robotic form. I will admit to sharing the concerns about the author’s previous work, which also prevents me from elevating it further.

While I really like Just Because and I think the direction is very ambitious, it’s also unpolished, as that ambitiousness is a bit more than the studio can handle right now, and the production is suffering as a result, which makes it hard for me to see it as clearly superior. And while I also like the characters, I’m not sure that feeling was widely shared, at least of the first episode. Let’s just say ANN is one of the few sites where the show is so highly regarded by the site’s users, and this is coming from someone who agrees with the ratings on this site of the show.

MMO Junkie has been enjoyable, but I can’t agree that the direction is great. I wouldn’t say it was bad, but its visual execution is very modest overall. The characters have a nice rapport and are relatable, but I don’t know that I would say the character writing is particularly deep or clearly superior to AMB’s.

I actually feel the same way about Girl’s Last Tour, at least the first two episodes, as you feel about AMB. I did like those episodes but I didn’t feel they quite lived up to the hype. While I didn’t find it as disagreeable as other, I can see why some took issue with its use of CG.

I haven’t seen Children of the Whales because of Netflix, but I’ve heard good things. As for Konoha Kitan, I’ve definitely enjoyed it, but what makes you feel the world building is superior? I’m much more fascinated by AMB’s world.

It’s still early in the season so anything can happen. We’ll see but I think AMB has more staying power than you two give it credit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3