• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Air Black Clover Anime Starting December 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan B.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I'm surprised. I always figured My Hero Academia would get on Toonami first, not Black Clover.

Funi and Crunchyroll are just forcing this anime to be the next Naruto at this point. I would’ve expect something better like Kekkai Sensen to air since it captures the feel of classic anime like Cowboy Bebop. Not to mention that it was from the same guy behind Trigun.
This however, is a massive flip-off to all the people who wanted their favorite anime to air on the block for the very first time, only for a show that’s not even popular and had just started to take the next slot. If Funimation thinks that they’re gonna do the same thing they did with the SimulDub of Space Dandy a few years back, that plan ain’t gonna work the second time.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
This over MHA? Crunchyroll is either paying them top dollar for it or they somehow think people like this anime. I'm kind of annoyed at how out-of-touch they seem to the general reception.

I know, right? It's like asking for "Overwatch" for Christmas, but you get "Battleborn" instead.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I like how this news has riled up so many people already Laughing
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Morgan B. wrote:
1dbad wrote:
I'm surprised. I always figured My Hero Academia would get on Toonami first, not Black Clover.

Funi and Crunchyroll are just forcing this anime to be the next Naruto at this point. I would’ve expect something better like Kekkai Sensen to air since it captures the feel of classic anime like Cowboy Bebop. Not to mention that it was from the same guy behind Trigun.
This however, is a massive flip-off to all the people who wanted their favorite anime to air on the block for the very first time, only for a show that’s not even popular and had just started to take the next slot. If Funimation thinks that they’re gonna do the same thing they did with the SimulDub of Space Dandy a few years back, that plan ain’t gonna work the second time.

Instead of airing 4 cours of this thing, they could've aired four 1 cour anime, like Mob Psycho, Noragami, My Hero Academia and Kekkai Sensen in the slot BC has.

But yes, CR and Funi are really desperate for this to become a huge hit.

Pierrot. wrote:

Maybe there's a good reason for it.

Last edited by Thorfinn on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Prepare for those Screams Americans!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGH
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

Is there really? I think people are just blowing up because a show they dislike is getting attention.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

Except there isn't. The only reason I see is people annoyed that a show they disliked is getting more exposure. Also, just because you enjoyed the shows you've listed doesn't mean the casual viewers will watch them. Last time Toonami listened to people's request by bringing in Jojo, Gundam etc. They all had average ratings and failed to bring in new viewers.

I also find it funny you're still pushing the narrative that BC isn't a hit in streaming sites without any evidence.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
DAMMIT! the show sucks but I REALLY want Toonami to keep starting earlier and earlier. Maybe I'll watch the first ten-ish episodes and stop. That might give them the idea that earlier time slots work...right?
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Just like in the early late 90's and early 00's they are trying to reach out to the kids and this shonen cut out of a show is the prime piece to drag in a whole new generation. At least I'm sure that's what they're thinking.

Pierrot. wrote:

I also find it funny you're still pushing the narrative that BC isn't a hit in streaming sites without any evidence.

Have you seen the review ratings on cruchyroll lately? Never seen a show have over 100 one star ratings and have more 1 than 5 star rates.

Last edited by ultimatehaki on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Instead of airing 4 cours of this thing, they could've aired four 1 cour anime, like Mob Psycho, Noragami, My Hero Academia and Kekkai Sensen in the slot BC has.

The 11:30 timeslot is a very good one, too, since most adults are still awake at the time and are willing to actually watch Toonami. If they were to show shorter anime like this it would get more people to watch Toonami, since I know a large critism of it is that they only show long-running shows and not something people can just get into. OPM did great on it when it aired because people were just able to dive in.

Last edited by FlowerAiko on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
CookieXL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

Is there really? I think people are just blowing up because a show they dislike is getting attention.

People are just overreacting when it comes to BC. The series is fine and enjoyable. Does it have the Naruto vibe? Yes, but it's not a clone of Naruto, because later in the story it goes it's separate way, heck even the author himself makes fun of the Shounen genre in BC, maybe because of what happened to his other series that got axed, because that series is way different than what he does now with BC.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

Have you seen the review ratings on cruchyroll lately? Never seen a show have over 100 one star ratings and have more 1 than 5 star rates.

Yes I have and it's still crunchyroll's second most popular show from this season despite it. It's only beaten by Food Wars.

Last edited by Pierrot. on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why everyone's acting like CR is the one trying to make this into the new Naruto. Pierrot and the Japanese side of things are the ones trying to do that and the western distribution companies are just marketing it like they do. If the JP side of things wasn't trying to make this Naruto 2.0, CR and Funi likely wouldn't be.
CookieXL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I did say that Funi and CR are pushing this hoping it becomes the next Naruto, so basically they want it to be a mega hit series or something that becomes at least as popular as One Punch Man or My Hero Academia and I don't believe it will do so.

So promoting the series is suddenly pushing it to become a hit series? The logic is real.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
CookieXL wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
I did say that Funi and CR are pushing this hoping it becomes the next Naruto, so basically they want it to be a mega hit series or something that becomes at least as popular as One Punch Man or My Hero Academia and I don't believe it will do so.

So promoting the series is suddenly pushing it to become a hit series? The logic is real.

This isn't any regular promotion, they're going all out, quite literally. They want this to be seen as the new big thing.

Last edited by Thorfinn on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7