• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko Says Gundam: The Origin is His Last Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="penguintruth"]Yas certainly deserves a retirement, but I'll be disappointed if there isn't an Origin TV series at some point, [/quote

I hope if they do decide to cut Origin into a TV show it's better edited than Unicorn was with it's awkward episode endings.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
When people say “Origin TV series”, a recut version of these films is the LAST thing people want.

Hell, if they announced we were getting an Origin series and it ended up being recut versions of the movies, EVERYONE would call troll job.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was talking about a full series based around the 0079 portions of Yas' manga... basically remaking the original series, not TV-ifying the existing OVA episodes. That didn't work out super well for Unicorn (though we got some neat new songs, at least).

But I've been pulling for a modern retelling since the cut scenes in Journey to Jaburo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I keep feeling like the obvious anime remake isn’t what we’ll get though.

We’re gonna get something else. Hell, this western drama could be an HBO version of The Origin. (Which probably means using some of the grosser stuff from the novel like the locket. Dear God the locket).
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Not gonna lie, I don't want any of the upcoming Gundam projects. The currently airing Build Divers is alright, even if they left the plot threads from Build Fighters Try hanging in the wind. However, Gundam NT, Gundam 00(S3? Movie? OVA?), and Gundam UC 2(a damn stage play.) don't interest me at all. I liked Gundam 00, but this fourth entry feels unnecessary and Setsuna will probably limited to no involvement in the story whatsoever. Gundam NT doesn't strike my interest at all, and since UC 2 is a stage play I'll never get to see it, would have made more sense as an OVA series. Hathaway's Flash is alright I guess, but I would have rather seen Crossbone Gundam be adapted.

What I really wanted was a 0079 remake, the long overdue SEED movie, and an Iron-Blooded Orphans Calamity War prequel.

Where are you getting that UC2 is a stage play? That's Gundam 00. If you're going to gripe about something at least get your damn facts straight first.

SEED is dead, Fukuda already said that it won't ever be coming back since his wife is gone. Crossbone won't ever happen. I really don't get what the damn interest in that loli-fest of a series. I swear, translating that was the worst thing my group could have ever done.
SleepingBear79

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
But I've been pulling for a modern retelling since the cut scenes in Journey to Jaburo.

Just played through that again recently. I go back every every now and then just to watch them.

beatdigga wrote:
(Which probably means using some of the grosser stuff from the novel like the locket. Dear God the locket).

Ha! I'd kind of forgotten about that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Nyren wrote:

What I really wanted was a 0079 remake, the long overdue SEED movie, and an Iron-Blooded Orphans Calamity War prequel.

I just want IBO to stop, I stopped caring about the show after season 2 was such a disaster. I don't think a prequel would be a good idea.

well said!

just like how seed destiny pretty much ruined the whole series, it was rinse, latter, repeat for IBO when season two completely destroyed everything that season one did. especially when it came to mcgillis! and its ending have more or less ensured that there will never be another sequel to fix the mess that was S2, unless the manga version have a much different ending and someone gives that an anime version will of course will never happen!

while a prequel where it showed the horrors of the calamity war is interesting, it better to leave a dead dog where its at and let it rest in peace! better off to use the resources to do a 0079 remake instead of an IBO calamity war prequel!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
SleepingBear79 wrote:

Ha! I'd kind of forgotten about that.

I get reminded of it every time someone pitches a Gundam remake, especially some live action thing on HBO where all shows are required by law to have at least three gratuitous sex scenes a season. What was he thinking?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I get reminded of it every time someone pitches a Gundam remake, especially some live action thing on HBO where all shows are required by law to have at least three gratuitous sex scenes a season. What was he thinking?

I get reminded of it every time someone tries to talk about how the only good UC shows are those that contain "Tomino's unadulterated vision of Gundam". I don't want unadulterated Tomino, he gets gross when left unchecked.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I keep feeling like the obvious anime remake isn’t what we’ll get though.

We’re gonna get something else. Hell, this western drama could be an HBO version of The Origin. (Which probably means using some of the grosser stuff from the novel like the locket. Dear God the locket).

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

I get reminded of it every time someone tries to talk about how the only good UC shows are those that contain "Tomino's unadulterated vision of Gundam". I don't want unadulterated Tomino, he gets gross when left unchecked.

You guys have piqued my morbid curiousity.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
Spoilered for hilarious squick. Seriously, you’ve been warned.

spoiler[In the novels, Amuro and Sayla end up having a sexual relationship. There’s no ambiguity, they have sex, and as Mike O’ Toole put it, it had all the awkwardness of a TekWar novel. It culminates with her (following Kai suggesting it to Amuro) making him a locket out of her pubic hair for him to carry into battle as a good luck charm.]
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

spoiler[In the novels, Amuro and Sayla end up having a sexual relationship. There’s no ambiguity, they have sex, and as Mike O’ Toole put it, it had all the awkwardness of a TekWar novel. It culminates with her (following Kai suggesting it to Amuro) making him a locket out of her pubic hair for him to carry into battle as a good luck charm.]
Okay, that locket part does seem really weird and kind of creepy, but the first half of that I don't mind in my Gundam.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
SleepingBear79 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Just played through that again recently. I go back every every now and then just to watch them.

They had them on the 08th MS Team: Miller's Report DVD, which is how I first saw them. Encounters in Space had similar cut scenes, for the later parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

TimmyandCosmoCringeFace.jpg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2