• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Map Reveals U.S.'s Most Popular Non-Sequel Spring 2018 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakorat859

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, South Dakota knows what's up!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much of a factor it is that the two shows that cover the most states don't have a simuldub available over on Funimation.

I don't expect that most people that watch the simuldub watch both the subtitled version at CR and then the dubbed version later at Funimation, so that has to have some impact on the audience of shows that have a simuldub.

That said, at their own site, CR did state that if not for the sequel exception the map would have been covered with MHA (which of course is one of Funimation's flagship simuldubs).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm surprised, and at the same time, not surprised about Golden Kamuy. On one hand it is a good show with a good premise and characters. On the other, the production quality, while not bad, is below what this show needs.

There are people who can get past the bears? I'm impressed as I can't, they're just... not bears, unbears and it's just unbearable.

Also, the only question I had on my mind after the first episode was whether the girl hunter was really short or really young. "Treasure hunt through flaying? Sure but that girl, what's the deal with her?"

I am enjoying Hinamitsuri as well as watching it... those things used to be the same but this season, this "most popular non sequel spring" season and the most popular shows out of that very specific selection are spin offs really spell out this season. Well, for CR at least.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess people in South Dakota long for enlightened despotism to save them from Trump.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I wonder how much of a factor it is that the two shows that cover the most states don't have a simuldub available over on Funimation.

Well, Just a FYI, SAO GGO is licensed by Aniplex, so there couldn’t ever be a simuldub from Funimation in this case.

Anyway, looking at this list and the responses, maybe it would have been for CR to include sequels after all since some people like to call spin-offs and modern remakes to be sequels as well. Either way, most of this map is showing quality shows in their own right, so can’t complain.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
rtil wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
I'd probably count Megalobox (25 states!) as a sequel, too, since it's explicitly a modernized remake of Champion Joe.

that's a bit of a stretch - especially considering that a majority of anime viewers today are probably totally unfamiliar with the original.

It's listed on this very site as a spinoff. And I've yet to hear someone talk about it without bringing up what it's based on; even if most viewers haven't heard of the older show, they're definitely influenced by all the glowing reviews from people who have seen it. Though, my disdain for romanticization of boxing definitely makes me biased against it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm surprised, and at the same time, not surprised about Golden Kamuy. On one hand it is a good show with a good premise and characters. On the other, the production quality, while not bad, is below what this show needs.

I only see this complaint from manga readers. Those of us who only watch anime don't seem as concerned as you. Nor did I care all that much about the bear. Talk about nit-picking.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Manga readers will always have something to talk about the adaptation of the manga they read, which is pretty okay, absolutely, because nothing is free of criticism and it's okay to discuss about things but yeah, in this case, it's just about CGI bears, and it didn't bother me either as an anime only watcher. In fact, the anime is still very fun and intriguing to watch, up to the point that I had recommended this to a lot of whatsapp anime groups. Unfortunately, the community around my nation is commonly composed of ecchi, harem, romance loving dumbass that wouldn't bother at looking other genre so I doubt that my effort could be fruitful but at least, it's better than being fruitless. Irrelevant but I've also been promoting people to watch Sora Yori mo Tooi basho endlessly. Such a beautiful and underrated anime, that one. Luckily got good sales in Japan and high marks from those that watched it.
digiboy123

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote
If I had to choose anything at all, I would choose Space Battleship Tiramisu. Golden Kamuy would be almost there with it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Manga readers will always have something to talk about the adaptation of the manga they read, which is pretty okay, absolutely, because nothing is free of criticism

I'm sure there were heated discussions among fans of "Gone with the Wind," too. There were probably even criticisms of the photography, direction, and whether certain scenes were cut for the movie. Still, it has become a persistent refrain by manga readers in recent discussions to complain about how disappointed they are by the anime adaptation. Mahoutsukai no Yome and Violet Evergarden are two other recent examples. I just find it tiresome to hear the same complaints repeated over and over again about things that are intrinsic to the nature of adaptations. The Golden Kamuy anime is a beautiful, powerful and compelling work on its own and deserves to be appreciated for its accomplishments.
wastrel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
It really is just dumb to not consider Sword Art as a "sequel" for the purposes of this chart. No one can deny the fact that the majority of people watching it started watching it because it had "Sword Art" in the title.

I deny this 'fact'. From what I've seen in comments made in the various places I haunt, just as many if not more were planning on not watching this show because it had Sword Art Online in the title. Only when others explained that it was a spin-off, not a direct sequel, did they give it a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2