• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Kingdom Hearts III

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Indeed. I've heard some advice from people who have run entertainment companies say that when people are throwing vitriol around, that means your fans are passionate and paying attention. The worst you could have is if people are silent about it all, because it means they've stopped caring and the passion is gone (or was never there in the first place).

This approach only extends so far, just like the patience of fans for a franchise that isn't working. KH3 has been framing itself as gaming's newest zeitgeist, using the decade-long backdrop behind it to fuel an artificially heightened sense of value premised on a kind of perceived cultural mandate to insinuate oneself into the experience of having owned and played this mythical piece of pop culture entertainment. That might have worked if it had actually delivered and lived up to its namesake-- I myself would have bought into it not that long ago-- but given how weak and inconclusive this entry is, combined with how it totally burns long-time players on many of the themes and characters that were developed to ground the narrative and which we were encouraged to become invested in pursuant to that, I think there's a healthy portion of the built-in audience who can't be counted on to give the next game its legs.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I've also noticed some heightened negativity here at Anime News Network compared to elsewhere online. In this case, I've seen criticism of Kingdom Hearts III elsewhere, but I'd see more people praise this game as everything they dreamed it would be. (it's not just KH3, but pretty much anything that's popular. There must be a lot of hipsters here. Either that, or the people, well, enjoying KH3 and coming here are keeping to themselves, and the ones who are angry are the ones who come here to complain.)

Can we not. As someone who has purchased every game in the series multiple times over an array of consoles and given the series (and Nomura) the benefit of the doubt on more than enough occasions, KH3 is a hard C at best. Its narrative is a genuine mess, not only in content but in presentation, it cuts out the sense of magic and imagination that should be the game's bread and butter to make room for janky, flat, expository dialogue; stiff, filler tier shonen fight sequences; and a cast of protagonists (especially the women) who are nothing but fodder for a plot that doesn't take into account any of their unique qualities, the specific themes of their individual arcs, or even their collective potential as an ensemble. These are all valid criticisms and have nothing to do with "hating on the game to be cool," and we could just as easily infer that there are lots of people who are disappointed but who refrain from mentioning it in the public sphere because they know the fandom is experiencing that intense post-release afterglow and won't hear anything but "10/10 kino GOAT" etc. People totally have a right to enjoy the game, but that doesn't provide for some sort of exclusive claim to validity when expressing their reception of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2