• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Luke Cage's Matt Owens to Pen Script for Hollywood One Piece Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amibite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It’s allegedly getting $10 million an episode. For whatever insane reason, the producer has claimed he wants a budget equal to Dem Thrones, claiming it could be the most expensive TV production IN HISTORY.

10 million isn't enough for One Piece. Not for anything beyond the first two or three storylines, and certainly not later arcs like Skypeia, Enies Lobby, Fishman Island or Whole Cake Island. Not even Marvel movies can't even get costumes and set design right, so I have zero hope for this
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:39 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Not even Marvel movies can't even get costumes and set design right,

Yeah we were never going to get the versions of Iron Man's armor that had the pointed face mask or the ones where we can see his eyes, or the wings on Captain America's mask and the cuffed boots, or Hawkeye's old school costume with the mask (which even the comic books have moved away from)

Amibite wrote:
so I have zero hope for this

To be pretty fair though with the exception of Luffy everyone of the main cast's costumes change throughout the series and that's not exactly anything that couldn't be replicated. The locations though yeah that would present a challenge on a budget.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote
It’s clear that the producers of this series want it to be the next Game Of Thrones with everyone and their mothers trying to fill the Westeros sized hole in prestige TV.

But One Piece? Oda has creative control apparently. If someone picked up the show expecting the same qualities Thrones had...hoo boy, they are in for a rude awakening.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It’s clear that the producers of this series want it to be the next Game Of Thrones with everyone and their mothers trying to fill the Westeros sized hole in prestige TV.

But One Piece? Oda has creative control apparently. If someone picked up the show expecting the same qualities Thrones had...hoo boy, they are in for a rude awakening.

I don't think anyone has that expectation.

the length of the series, and the supposed budget already makes this DOA. never mind the actual adaptation itself.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
As an adaptation, they gonna have to go thru the plots quicker and probably skip some stories.

They can't be expecting to run hundreds of episodes.

It's gonna be Season 8 of Game of Thrones. Very Happy
Amibite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Yeah we were never going to get the versions of Iron Man's armor that had the pointed face mask or the ones where we can see his eyes, or the wings on Captain America's mask and the cuffed boots, or Hawkeye's old school costume with the mask (which even the comic books have moved away from)

The comic books "moving away from" isn't a badge of quality IMO, it just shows how comic books have zero integrity and try to milk the movies aesthetic yet still fail to sell any better regardless.

Anyway, I was thinking more how Scarlet Witch is literally just a woman in casual clothes but she has a red jacket to show she's "Scarlet" Witch, exact same with Star Lord basically becoming a Han Solo expy. You might find the costumes silly or dumb, as would most of the public, but that's what comic books are. Not everything needs to be dull, bland, and realistic.

Quote:
To be pretty fair though with the exception of Luffy everyone of the main cast's costumes change throughout the series and that's not exactly anything that couldn't be replicated. The locations though yeah that would present a challenge on a budget.

They could be replicated, but so could the superhero costumes. The question is would they want to replicate them because as is they're silly, sexist, or whatever. Would they want to keep Buggy as he is or make him more of a serial killer type Joker clown? Will the Nyaban Brothers have their ridiculous flamboyant outfits or made to be more be more feral and primitive? Will Jango be Michael Jackson? Will Pearl wear his ridiculous suit of metal plates and giant pearls glued to his body? Depends how much they want to sanitize this show like they do all other live action adaptions to make it sell to the mainstream American audiences. Heck, it's 2019. I'd be surprised if Nami still gets to keep her initial miniskirt design and they don't throw her in pants.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2