• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Piracy Anime, Manga Sites KissAnime, KissManga Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
Now, how will they approach in purging torrenting?
Its futile. Illegal streaming aggregation sites have much more traffic than torrent sites. When K***anime trended on Twitter yesterday, a lot of them don't seem to know that they can torrent anime instead of going to those shady sites and also a lot of them cannot seem to distinguish pirate sites from legit (i.e. I've seen a tweet stating that Animelab is one of the alternatives to K***anime in addition to several shady sites). Not sure if data supports my claim though.
Sites like KA get millions of views, meanwhile the most downloaded torrent on [redacted] is an episode of OPM S2 with 85,518 successful downloads. Some stuff I've torrented from [redacted] have under 1,000 downloads, while illegal streaming sites (there's a bunch of them) hosting the same stuff has way more views than that. It's safe to say a lot of people don't know how to torrent. And to think there was a time fansubbing was so popular it had negative effects on the North American anime industry, and legal streams and simulcasts was the response to that which in a matter of 5 years or so effectively killed fansubs (also, fansubbers got older and have other stuff going on in their lives now). Fansubs are very obscure now, we're going to reach a point where people will go "Fansub? Is that an anime on Crunchyroll/FUNimation/[insert currently popular illegal streaming site here]?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:02 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
I haven't used one of these kinds of sites for nearly a decade, since everything gets legally streamed these days. They really need to go harder to take down these sites because theres really no reason for people to be dealing with these sketchy sites full of malware and other dangers when you can easily just pop up Crunchyroll or Funi on your smart tv these days.

Not every series gets localized. Some of the manga I read are obscure enough that none of the major publishers are licensing them, forcing me to search for these sites to actually be able to read the stuff.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:14 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
Ok you're right, some random kids anime might not get streamed but even Precure is now. Its been years since anything I actually want to watch, and I watch around 10 shows a season, wasn't legally streamed somewhere.
Random kids anime may get skipped in addition to other things. I've yet to see a single anime season where 100% of titles got legally streamed. Also the first 12 episodes of Healin' Good PreCure still aren't on Crunchyroll, and the only other PreCure series on CR is the original, with absolutely atrocious video quality and some episodes with completely out-of-sync audio requiring the use of 2 tabs to resync the audio yourself. The English dub for the original Pretty Cure that aired on TV in Canada and a few other regions is also not legally streaming anywhere, nor is it available on disc. Not everything gets licensed, and not everything will remain licensed forever. Tell me, where can you legally watch the original Berserk series without buying expensive OOP DVDs or importing the UK or Australian Blu-rays? How about the original Gunbuster? The ADV dub for Neon Genesis Evangelion or the Manga dub for End of Evangelion? I'm currently watching fansubs of Ginban Kaleidoscope, a series that most likely will never get licensed as it's an Aniplex Japan title, and they stopped licensing their stuff to companies that aren't Aniplex USA ages ago, so companies like Discotek can't get their old stuff. If Aniplex USA passes on an Aniplex title, it's SOL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:19 am Reply with quote
Ok, by "everything gets legally streamed now" I meant "Everything people care about is legally simulcast now". Better? Fine, you have random 25+ year old OVAs you can't get on legal streams, or kids shows aimed at 5 year olds nobody bothers to pick up for legal stream. You got me there. 95% of anime fans don't care about those, people care about watching the new streaming shows or popular shonens and legal streams have you covered there.

Last edited by Albion Hero on Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:24 am Reply with quote
Almost Everyone used Kissanime or third party sites at one point in there life. These days i use Netflix Hulu,etc

But lot of anime/Manga are out of print (expensive as heck to buy) or license expire (no Streaming service) or manga/Anime that never get localized/translated to the west...

So i understand why some people look for alternatives...
FangGang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:29 am Reply with quote
It’s for the best, I guess. Didn’t that website have a lot of ads attached to it?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:29 am Reply with quote
You can't act on a law that isn't actually in effect. They're just making an excuse
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:32 am Reply with quote
FangGang wrote:
It’s for the best, I guess. Didn’t that website have a lot of ads attached to it?
Yes, and they blocked adblockers. The ads they had could be quite malicious, you were risking ruining the device you were using just to watch anime.
Jinbeizaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:56 am Reply with quote
People doesn't seem to realize how those websites were the Netflix of the past. Now almost every shows are steamed but for those of us old enough to remember how HARD it was to find anime that wasn't Bleach or Naruto for instance, those websites were good enough.

Also a point no one seem to mention here but from my personal experience it was better to watch anime online than downloading it. Maybe you had amazing internet and big enough drive to stock them/a laptop good enough to do that but for me it was almost impossible/would take forever to download anime that could be in Kissanime. So it was easier to wait like 10 minutes to let the episode load and watch it.

True now I hadn't been to those kind of websites for almost a decade BUT I'm still grateful that those websites existed at one point allowing people to discover more anime/manga.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:24 am Reply with quote
Good. If people want to pirate, I won't judge them - I did it plenty back in the day myself. But if you're going to pirate, at least have half a brain about it and don't use these sites. You're giving profit to thieves for quality that is worse than either free & legal streams or torrenting and possibly putting your own security at risk.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:26 am Reply with quote
Jinbeizaki wrote:
Maybe you had amazing internet and big enough drive to stock them/a laptop good enough to do that but for me it was almost impossible/would take forever to download anime that could be in Kissanime. So it was easier to wait like 10 minutes to let the episode load and watch it.

That doesn't make sense, If you're streaming, you're still downloading it(albeit temporarily).

Might make sense if it's something long like a movie so you can begin watching it before the whole thing has downloaded. But then, you can do that with torrents nowadays too...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:35 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Albion Hero wrote:
everything gets legally streamed these days.

no no no no that is not true at all, by any stretch of the imagination. On top of how much isn't legally streamed, you have to worry about licensing rights expiring.

This encourages buying physically, but the prices are insane.

All that is what encourages anime fans to do evil.

On top of that, only USA gets the "almost everything" treatment. In my country most streamers don't operate and the ones that do don't carry even half of their American catalogue. Out of the dozen series I'm watching this season, the ones I can watch legally are exactly two (and even if I have legal access to them I torrent them anyway since it's more convenient).

Jinbeizaki wrote:
Also a point no one seem to mention here but from my personal experience it was better to watch anime online than downloading it. Maybe you had amazing internet and big enough drive to stock them/a laptop good enough to do that but for me it was almost impossible/would take forever to download anime that could be in Kissanime. So it was easier to wait like 10 minutes to let the episode load and watch it.

How far back are we talking? By 2005 I was already torrenting everything I watched in my bog-standard 2003 PC. I downloaded a series (or some episodes if it was something long like Naruto), watched it and then either deleted it or burned it into CDs. Torrenting a full cour of anime, even back then, wouldn't take more than two hours.
Before that there was emule but THAT was indeed godawful and worse than streaming.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:43 am Reply with quote
I honestly never understood the point of these illegal streaming sites if you had to pirate. Why wouldn't people just go for torrents, which is safer, better quality, and you can have access to the files without the internet and on multiple devices? Not that I'd advocate for piracy, but it just seems a far way better way to do it if you had to. Illegal streaming sites just seem to be asking for viruses, wanting low quality and lack of convenience. A decade ago before everything (that mattered) was streamed, torrents were the way I went.

I never had any idea that places like KissAnime were so much bigger than torrents until I saw the post earlier saying that only 80k people torrented a popular episode vs millions of views on KissAnime. Wow.

Last edited by Albion Hero on Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:45 am; edited 2 times in total
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:44 am Reply with quote
I've heard of them but never really used then when I was pirating anime. It was more convenient and safer for me back then to download torrent from fansub groups.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:46 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
I honestly never understood the point of these illegal streaming sites if you had to pirate. Why wouldn't people just go for torrents, which is safer, better quality, and you can have access to them without the internet and on multiple devices? Not that I'd advocate for piracy, but it just seems a far way better way to do it if you had to. Illegal streaming sites just seem to be asking for viruses, wanting low quality and lack of convenience.

I never had any idea that places like KissAnime were so much bigger than torrents until I saw the post earlier saying that only 80k people torrented a popular episode vs millions of views on KissAnime. Wow.

Convenience.
Someone already found the anime, downloaded it and had it queued, ready for someone to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9