• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masashi Kishimoto Takes Over as Writer for Boruto Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
This feels like whenever Marvel would get Chris Claremont to write more X-Men for some reason. “That last run didn’t work too well, get Claremont.”
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting development. I don't enjoy Boruto so I don't read/watch it and I would be kinda pumped that the original author is returning, but I thought Naruto nosed dive off the good storytelling cliff for a good 90% of the last arc.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The original writer coming back to write it could elevate the series back up. I know I lost interest in the series. I doubt it'll ever reach the level of the original series, but at least it's Kishimoto writing things now.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
methedemon wrote:
I can't see this happening at ALL had Samurai 8 been a huge success.

Eh. Kishimoto was only writing Samurai 8, and plenty of writers are able to handle multiple series. It wouldn't be that unusual.

From what I understand Kodachi was contracted for 13 volumes, and Ikemoto has strongly implied in interviews that the series is intended to end at 27 volumes. So we're pretty much reaching the halfway point now. Most likely there will be a timeskip very soon.

Either way this is an appropriate moment to transition, I think. Hopefully Kishimoto maintains quality, as most fans seem to be really enjoying where the story is going currently. In recent months it has become one of Viz's most popular series, according to Urian Brown, and it's the top rated series on Shueisha's Manga Plus platform now.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
theilikepie wrote:
Well rip sarada. You'll never be useful again

You do realize he wrote her side arc "Naruto Gaiden: The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring" Right? He can write decent female characters however even I'll admit it's rare when he does.

That aside I wonder how he is going to handle the Jiraiya bit in the bourto manga.. I'm not going to spoil anything but that still urks me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lamel2g

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Is the anime worth watching? I stopped watching after around episode 70 or so when it went to filler Hell.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Well that's a shame. After Samurai 8 bombed I guess Kishimoto is just fated to draw and write about ninjas forever.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:35 am Reply with quote
It looks like Kishimoto has accepted that he'll likely never escape the shadow of Naruto and has decided to go back to the old well rather than risk another failure like Samurai 8.
NightRunner7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 am Reply with quote
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:
methedemon wrote:
I can't see this happening at ALL had Samurai 8 been a huge success.

Eh. Kishimoto was only writing Samurai 8, and plenty of writers are able to handle multiple series. It wouldn't be that unusual.

From what I understand Kodachi was contracted for 13 volumes, and Ikemoto has strongly implied in interviews that the series is intended to end at 27 volumes. So we're pretty much reaching the halfway point now. Most likely there will be a timeskip very soon.

Either way this is an appropriate moment to transition, I think. Hopefully Kishimoto maintains quality, as most fans seem to be really enjoying where the story is going currently. In recent months it has become one of Viz's most popular series, according to Urian Brown, and it's the top rated series on Shueisha's Manga Plus platform now.

I agree. Probably Kodachi was contracted for 13 volumes and complete part 1 then hand it over to Kishimoto for Boruto part 2 where things will go darker I assume. Kishi was already involved with Boruto manga as Supervisor/Editor and wrote Samurai 8 same time he could work on both projects as writer if S8 was a success
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
Y'all acting like this is some horrible affront to Kodachi.

I'm sorry though... who wants to be famous for writing someone else's story? Finishing a spin-off and an franchise adaptation (Infinit-Force) around the same time. I'd say it's a perfect time to strike with an original story of your own. I expect an announcement of a new series any time now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
I could maybe buy that it was planned to the extent that it was contingent on what happened with Samurai 8. It seems weird that they plan would be to have him take over when the series was 50+ chapters along.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I could maybe buy that it was planned to the extent that it was contingent on what happened with Samurai 8. It seems weird that they plan would be to have him take over when the series was 50+ chapters along.

While Samurai 8 was axed, it had already been planned to end a few volumes after, so Jump just low key cucked Kishi. So yeah, if we take into account the timing of S8's ending, + the time needed to write a few more volumes we arrive to... now. Aka the time to take over Boruto.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

While Samurai 8 was axed, it had already been planned to end a few volumes after, so Jump just low key cucked Kishi. So yeah, if we take into account the timing of S8's ending, + the time needed to write a few more volumes we arrive to... now. Aka the time to take over Boruto.

No there wasn't any plan for S8 to end a few volume later, what Kishi said was that he just guess how long the series will last (around 10 volumes) the same as he estimated that Naruto would end in around 15 volumes ( which didn't happen)
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
it was probably planned as an option, i case Samurai 8 doesn't do great..

that aside, glad he's back! (Naruto / shippuden remains the most influential manga/ anime since DBZ.., influencing Hollywood & Co..., today every freaking super heroes has "glowing eyes", mass destruction fights of giant beeigs are in again, "phasing" is used in martial arts fight etc. etc. etc...)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Samurai 8 (I forgot it was a thing) flopped and only lasted 5 volumes so there you go. Naruto 2: The Quest for More Money also moved to V Jump as it failed to perform in Weekly Jump. Kishimoto isn´t even writing for Jump proper anymore due to this. What a sound "plan".

@Beatdigga 90s X-men and 90s writers will come back in 2021 to run alongside the mess Rick Remender created right now. His run at least sells. I´ll give him that. And guess who else will be on that 90s book?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3