• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Birdie Wing -Golf Girls' Story-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regalli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I do not remotely BELIEVE Eve is 15, but between the comments this episode about how she’s so young from the mafia boss and the distinct LACK of comments last episode about how they faked the shit out of her age to get her into this tournament (and I would not have assumed ‘she’s 16’ by default, either, where you maybe COULD get away with it escaping notice,) it seems like the anime is in fact trying to sell us on her being fifteen, or at least close enough the first words out of Lily and her sister’s mouths weren’t ‘LIKE HELL are you young enough to plausibly compete in this!’

Which is the least believable aspect of a show with golf crime syndicates, modular underground golf courses for illegal golf betting, and everything about Vipere, gotta say.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
DAMMIT this show needs a trashy english dub, its too good to not deserve it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:41 pm Reply with quote
There's something amusing how VR golf is actually not one of the most outlandish thing this show has to offer since it is in the realm of real world possibilities. I actually appreciated that Eve was able to explain herself to Aoi about what happened and not drag it out.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Steve's review this week is perfect. I have nothing to add. And this is such a great summation of Eve:

Quote:
Eve is once again surly and uninterested in any of the technological advances or accoutrement. She only has two braincells, to be fair; one is devoted to smacking a tiny dimpled resin-coated sphere as far as humanly possible, while the other watches memories of Aoi's smile on repeat.

Anyone can be wacky, but Birdie Wing is a laser guided work of precision insanity. It takes real skill to pull that off.
Regalli

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:28 pm Reply with quote
The review is truly beautiful.

Gotta love a show where VR golf in ridiculous outfits is just… utterly mundane, by its own standards. The preview has someone with a ROCKET LAUNCHER of all things. So instead, we get glorious melodrama between two girls who I still don’t trust NOT to be half-siblings being star-crossed golf rivals. (At this rate, I suspect they’ll be half-siblings BECAUSE this is so blatantly gay and it’d be an attempt to backtrack. But at least we can enjoy all the other absurdity.)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Regalli wrote:
Is Vipere every predatory lesbian stereotype thrown into a blender....
Not watching this show because I don't give a X about golf but as much as has been made of the yuri angle, I'm surprised no one has gone off on the insinuation that "the only women who would like golf must be lesbian". Like a reverse of the idea that "the only guys that would get into ice skating would be gay". I knew a couple of semi-pro women golfers and they were anything but...
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Pulls out a gas can and pulls the cap and starts spreading it around.

Hey everyone who is better Eve or Aoi?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:00 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I'm surprised no one has gone off on the insinuation that "the only women who would like golf must be lesbian".

Wait, what? That's not a thing in women's golf

There's even the regular debates about like: "Are Sexy Women Golfers Ruining The LPGA?" Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:30 pm Reply with quote
It is very much a thing. I think it's the historical association of lesbians flocking to the Colgate/Dinah Shore LPGA Golf Championship in Palm Springs starting in the 70s. The Dinah kinda split off from golf over time, but it's still like the biggest annual lesbian party in the world, with 20k or more attending. And women's golf does still have a lesbian following, as well as lesbian pro-golfers on the circuit.

Even given all that, I've never heard it said that "the only women who would like golf must be lesbian."
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:02 pm Reply with quote
^^To clarify, it was said that a woman who wanted to get seriously into golf was likely lesbian. The stigma may have disappeared and my experience is from a golfer friend Nancy and her friend ala 1990's and may have been a product of rumors relative to Nancy Lopez in the '80's being a lesbian because of her "masculine" appearance. My friend said she and her friend had experienced what I described mostly from other non-golfer women. With this show's yuri storyline and what you relate, I can see how the stigma might have continued (but maybe not?).
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
If this anime did not exist, I would have to have created it, just to give Steve the fairway for his incredible prose efforts.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:50 pm Reply with quote
yuricon wrote:
If this anime did not exist, I would have to have created it, just to give Steve the fairway for his incredible prose efforts.

Is this the official stance of the convention?
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And since you like yuri so much, then why not talk about that Virgin Road anime?

It already has its own weekly reviews here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:14 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
With this show's yuri storyline and what you relate, I can see how the stigma might have continued (but maybe not?).

Stigma seems a bit harsh. But yeah, I just thought enurtsol picked an odd article to support their point that golf wasn't a thing among lesbians. Like lesbians can't be sexy or sexy women would drive lesbians away from golf? Laughing I think it's second only to softball as a sports meme in lesbian culture, though basketball is rapidly gaining because of WNBA.

You said you weren't watching this, but you should be. I despise golf, but this isn't golf. It is hella fun though! Smile
Regalli

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Lucen007 wrote:
Quote:
Eve and Aoi's reunion is a short putt when it comes to the golf hijinks, but it's a 400-yard drive when it comes to the golf yuri.

ANN, I think you're getting ahead of yourself with your cute little yuri fantasy. Hard to label this anime as "golf yuri" when there are at least two m**es who will be relevant later.

1) I have no idea why the heck you’re censoring ‘males’, but it’s… weird.
2) One of the two men in the promo image is definitely, stated outright in show without any silhouetting or obscuring, Aoi’s father (who is also vaguely implied to be dead, with CEO Mom talking to his picture on the wall and Aoi’s love for golf stemming in part from her fond memories of him). The other is heavily implied to be Eve’s father. I am 1000% confident the show is not leading towards either of our lead girls being romantically involved with one of the men in that image. They’re the mentors responsible for the girls’ respective attitudes towards and styles of golf, hence the looming over.

Now, I’m not certain the show will go down the yuri path, but that’s not because there’s been any hint of romance between them and male characters. I don’t think Aoi’s even really interacted with a named male character onscreen yet, just the memories of her father and a couple generic nameless paparazzi in a crowd. It’s because we’re all waiting to see whether or not they’re secret half-siblings (despite their supposedly-identical ages making this improbable… but like, it’s Birdie Wing and there’s an organized crime syndicate revolving around golf, it wouldn’t be the weirdest thing about this show by a WIDE margin.) I think it’s very likely the show goes back on its VERY blatant subtext with a reveal they’re twins. If I’m wrong, I’d be thrilled, because the world needs more stories about lesbian sports rivalries with casual absurdity. But if I’m right, Birdie Wing is so ABSOLUTELY GONZO I will not be disappointed to have watched it, even with incestuous queerbaiting. It’s just that absurd.

(This is also why I didn’t consider Vipere - or for that matter Eve and Aoi potentially - being negative stereotypes about lesbians in golf specifically, because this show is so divorced from actual golf that real-world logic has no place here. Underground golf betting is such a thing that a crime boss has an entire underground facility to procedurally generate golf courses for this purpose. Worth the inevitable irritation for that alone.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10