• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Volume 63 Sells 2.1 Million in 4 Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks like nitpicking. Similar articles explicitly say the people who were polled are the readers.
http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/3601503033/one-piece-popularity
http://deremoe.com/2011/02/one-piece-demographic-stats/
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
The best way to check is to look at the japanese source :

購買 mean "purchase" "purchasing" "to purchase" and 層 means "stratum" "layer". Basically, the japanese source does refer to buyers like ANN had said, and not readers (which makes sense since it's much harder to do a poll with the readers).

I'm a nitpicker at heart. Embarassed
BounceToMe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
syrianmj wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Doesn't Oda ever get tired of breaking records?

that only a record since oricon started to put the numbers
the the top 3 in the 1st week r
2 slam dank folders ( folder 24 sold 2.3 folder 29 sold 2.5)
and the the last dragon ball folder ( sold 2.2 )
and those numbers I understand cause those 2 were gr8 mangas and all people loved them
not like op most of fans r kids and girls
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-11-15/japanese-working-women-polled-on-one-piece-manga
and lets assume it is only 20% that means 1.5 million working woman at least and the rest r not working women and kids
that is mean one piece = twilight = justin bieber so popular but also awful
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

The numbers you gave for Slam Dunk and Dragonball are their highest initial prints, not 1st week sales. One Piece destroyed Slam Dunk's record several years ago and the most recent volume of One Piece had 3.9 million initial prints.
iloveoov

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
syrianmj wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

and those numbers I understand cause those 2 were gr8 mangas and all people loved them
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-11-15/japanese-working-women-polled-on-one-piece-manga
and lets assume it is only 20% that means 1.5 million working woman at least and the rest r not working women and kids

you are truly a genius. well done

and what Bouncetome said is the truth...

Last edited by iloveoov on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is for everybody, not just kids and girls, ranking it with the likes of Twilight and Bieber fever betrays either an ignorance worthy of pity, or trolling skills worthy of a very slow clap. Laughing

btw I'm a man in my 20's who loves One Piece... and proud of it. Wink
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
I'm a man in my 20's who loves One Piece... and proud of it. Wink

You and me both buddy Very Happy
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
Lightning Leo wrote:
I'm a man in my 20's who loves One Piece... and proud of it. Wink

You and me both buddy Very Happy

I'm not a man but I also love OP and I'm in my middle twenties. Wink

And syrianmj is now sounding desperate on their attempts to troll this thread. Their edited post made me chuckle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
syrianmj wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

Well at least you're spelling things out now. Even if you still don't know how to use a shift key.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
One Piece is for everybody, not just kids and girls, ranking it with the likes of Twilight and Bieber fever betrays either an ignorance worthy of pity, or trolling skills worthy of a very slow clap. Laughing

Not surprised. People mistake Harry Potter for the same thing. Laughing
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:

btw I'm a man in my 20's who loves One Piece... and proud of it. Wink

That sounds about right Wink
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
One Piece is okay, but the writing is... lame sometimes. They rely a lot on comedy to just sweep things under the rug or ignoring important plot things. I prefer Naruto myself, which doesn't really do that Razz I suspect that comedy is why OP is so popular, though.. easier to pick up and enjoy and not take very seriously.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
One Piece is okay, but the writing is... lame sometimes. They rely a lot on comedy to just sweep things under the rug or ignoring important plot things. I prefer Naruto myself, which doesn't really do that Razz I suspect that comedy is why OP is so popular, though.. easier to pick up and enjoy and not take very seriously.

Okay, I seriously want to have a conversation with you about the quality of Naruto vs. One Piece at some point. I'm not trying to harass or anything, I'm genuinely interested to see someone who prefers Naruto over One Piece, because the general consensus trends in the opposite direction, with varying degrees of vigor. (But feel free to say no.)

Yeah One Piece has a lot of humor, but so does most shonen series, Naruto included, and it does it a lot better then most. To be honest I don't like Naruto very much at all, and I think it comes down to the world-building, which One Piece has in spades, but Naruto just comes up lacking to me. Despite the insanity that One Piece's story has and expects you to go along with, it's very intelligently written at it's core, which is one thing you can pick up on as an adult reader or a child, and that's why I think it's so popular.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I like One Piece, I just dislike the way it does comedy sometimes, especially as some kind of writing fixer glue when it feels like

For example, after Alabasta when Robin pops up on their ship. Everyone's suspicious of her joining for about 2 seconds but then she does some kind of funny face with her powers and Luffy, Chopper, and Usopp instantly have no qualms with allowing the woman who tried to murder them hours earlier join their crew. Razz Sanji is lovestruck so he doesnt care, and Nami gets bought off so easily with a bag of gold (because she's greedy, get it? That's the joke Razz) Zoro is the only one with any kind of suspicion or resistance to her joining.. but then it's just ignored and they move on to random sea faring episodes as if nothing happened.

Generally something like that would have a bit more drama behind it and fleshed out more in other shounen, like Gaara's/The Sand Shinobi's transition to allying with the Leaf shinobi. Or for comparison sake, it'd be like if Sasuke got Naruto to forgive him for all the stuff by handing him a coupon for Ichiraku Ramen and playing a laugh track Razz

That, and I kinda hate Luffy's stupidity and the way it pads the plot out sometimes; like how Luffy wanders out of town because he's so dumb and looking for food he gets lost on the way to the restaurant; so we spent multiple episodes of the other crew members fighting in the city and stuff waiting for him to show up. So yeah, I generally prefer other shounen. I think OP is very creative with it's powers and characters and world though, like you said, I'd just prefer if it didn't hit the 'Comedy Fixes Everything' button as often as it does Razz But I suspect that comedy aspect is why more people might think it's easier to get into or more appealing; less serious and just read it as a casual thing or something that you don't take seriously like, say, Naruto or even Bleach.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
I like One Piece, I just dislike the way it does comedy sometimes, especially as some kind of writing fixer glue when it feels like

For example, after Alabasta when Robin pops up on their ship. Everyone's suspicious of her joining for about 2 seconds but then she does some kind of funny face with her powers and Luffy, Chopper, and Usopp instantly have no qualms with allowing the woman who tried to murder them hours earlier join their crew. Razz Sanji is lovestruck so he doesnt care, and Nami gets bought off so easily with a bag of gold (because she's greedy, get it? That's the joke Razz) Zoro is the only one with any kind of suspicion or resistance to her joining.. but then it's just ignored and they move on to random sea faring episodes as if nothing happened.

Generally something like that would have a bit more drama behind it and fleshed out more in other shounen, like Gaara's/The Sand Shinobi's transition to allying with the Leaf shinobi. Or for comparison sake, it'd be like if Sasuke got Naruto to forgive him for all the stuff by handing him a coupon for Ichiraku Ramen and playing a laugh track Razz .

spoiler[Robin was passive the entire time during the arc though, in her interaction with the crew. She never actually fights any of them and was just always around Crocodile. The transition into her becoming part of the crew was developed from the point when she saves Luffy’s life and then Luffy saves her’s in return, so it didn’t just happen all of a sudden. Back on the ship, she tells Luffy he needs to take responsibility for saving her and that she wants to join the crew since she doesn’t have anywhere else to go. Of course Luffy being Luffy he accepts and then she plays into the personalities of the crew to gain acceptance from them.]

Jessica Hart wrote:
That, and I kinda hate Luffy's stupidity and the way it pads the plot out sometimes; like how Luffy wanders out of town because he's so dumb and looking for food he gets lost on the way to the restaurant; so we spent multiple episodes of the other crew members fighting in the city and stuff waiting for him to show up. So yeah, I generally prefer other shounen. I think OP is very creative with it's powers and characters and world though, like you said, I'd just prefer if it didn't hit the 'Comedy Fixes Everything' button as often as it does Razz But I suspect that comedy aspect is why more people might think it's easier to get into or more appealing; less serious and just read it as a casual thing or something that you don't take seriously like, say, Naruto or even Bleach.

spoiler[These kind of convenient absences occur in other shounen series as well. For example, in Naruto during the Pain arc, Guy’s squad is nowhere to be found in the Leaf village when he attacks nor were the top individuals from the Hyuga clan. If they were to have been allowed to be in the village, it is safe to say that at least a couple of the Pain’s would have been destroyed given Guy’s and Rock’s ability to open the inner gates and Neji and his kin being one of the most power clans. Of course, they are conveniently left out and Naruto’s is conveniently late to arrive. The tactics are a bit different but the goal is the same in that it allows the plot to develop.]

It’s fine that One Piece isn’t your favorite shounen series. I just wanted to point that out though.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

I think I get where you're coming from, granted I disagree. I think it's less comedy as it is knowing how to use light-hearted moments to break tension. When I think of typical Shonen comedy elements, I think of stupid gags thrown in rather forcefully in some bizarre mandated equation, which to be fair One Piece has had a few times as well. I guess it's that One Piece makes the humor and insanity part of the world itself instead of characters acting stupid for a laugh.

And no disrespect to you, you can dislike and like whatever you please, but I think what happens when sometimes people have a mindset of "Bleach & Naruto are serious, while One Piece isn't" is that the undervalue the ability of humor and comedy to make a series work, boring angst and drab depression are fun who a while, but they just get so damn trying after a while. One of the reasons I could never get into Naruto (which, with reading up to the start of Part 2, and intermittently listening to updates from friends, I've made an effort) is that it's this combination of angst and stupid humor, and I found only a few characters likable.
On the other hand I'd be hard pressed to find a character I didn't like in One Piece, (there are characters I hate, but that's genuinely based on their actions, not how they're written).
And on the casually reading side of this, I'd argue Bleach is much more disposable, because that series is entirely popcorn that you blast through and realize you've had nothing of substance. Heck, I've enjoyed it while reading, but looking back, I'm always struck by how little there really is outside of the sword fights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3