• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Coo from the Distant Seas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
lol awesome. i'll have to hunt this one down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Of course. You DO know Chris lives in Quebec, right?

I suppose I do now? :/

It's okay; I didn't read the staff page right away, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sun King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't help but wonder what a Japanese WWII vet must think of atomic weaponry as it's currently bandied about amongst nations today, but at the same time... I'll bet he's eaten whale meat.

Whale meat sounds delicious. It must taste 10 million times better than dolphin, since whales are like 10 million times bigger. And think about it, if you capture one whale you could feed your entire family for a year! Imagine all of the options: whaleburgers, whalestew, fried whaleballs... the list goes on! And whales have many other uses too, you could use the oil to light your house and then your electricity bill would go waaaay down.

You know what, I bet that's why the French wanted that dinosaur thing. They just LOVE exotic food!
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Why is Batou flying the helicopter?
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Don't get me wrong, French people are Evil. Especially French Canadians. Twisted Evil

C'est vrai!

Gilles - born in Quebec - Poitras
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Two things related to Toei: Coo is played by the lady that did Chaozu in Dragonball (likely the most famous and popular Toei Animation seriesever). Second, this anime, which is the obscurely known/hard to find/rare anime category, is a lesser known Toei work. Above all, if it's a Toei Animation title, it may or may not be good (series in general. I'd say this looks like a true gem).
toonzkid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
if anybody finds this fansubbed, please post where to find
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:19 am Reply with quote
I'm having trouble getting my head around a cute kappa Razz
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:03 am Reply with quote
Wow, this sounds like one hell of a movie, MUST TORRENT IT!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I saw this once, back in "tha dayz" when anime clubs were still completely dependent on VHS fansubs. But I couldn't remember that much about it other than it was about a plesiosaur and that someone not really associated with anime did the soundtrack (ah, it was Julian Lennon), but this review was a much-needed refresher and probably a good reminder why I don't really need to subject myself to watching this movie ever again.

Plesiosaurs show up in anime from time to time largely because some Japanese still believe that a mysterious rotting carcass caught by a Japanese fishing vessel in 1977 was a plesiosaur (when, in all probability, it was just a basking shark), so the popular mythology of still-living plesiosaurs are kind of like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster to the Japanese. The forbidden Sailor Moon R episode 67, made during roughly the same era as Coo, also featured a plesiosaur.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
toonzkid wrote:
if anybody finds this fansubbed, please post where to find

No, please don't. That is against forum rules.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ah 'Coo'. I've heard of this feature but never seen it. But I'm sure of the people I know somone surely has it in their collection. Either commercial copy via VHS/LD or a regular trade copy.

After reading that part,
Quote:
"...when Cathy whips off her top to start prancing in the rain. The film slowly goes from heartwarming family tale to over-the-top propaganda that can easily be enjoyed..."

I had take a look at the whole review. It sounds interesting enough. I think I've even heard folks mention this movie. But the best line,

Quote:
"The military happens to be the French, and the reason they want Coo is to destroy any evidence of such a new and important species... so they can start using the ocean for nuclear testing."

Now that's probably the most ridiculous plot device I've ever heard. If the military is doing nuclear testing I don't think they would give a s&*t as to what life was in the ocean old or new. Unless this is a case of make sure nothing is down there so it won't raise suspicion later. But the rest definitely sounds like it's sending the message of how evil governments and militaries are when it comes to destroying the eco system. And foreign military. But hell, it not like it's not somewhat true. Whether is sounds preachy or not.

But I'll have to ask around and see if anyone has this film on tape. After seeing 'Bagi', I might want to check this out.

Actually, was this feature dubbed at one time?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Actually, was this feature dubbed at one time?

Not to my knowledge. It was released in '93, and by that time internet/online fandom was fairly organized and many of the anime companies we know today were already born. So we have good documentation of that era, and I don't think any exists. (in English anyway)

I'm sure that being a family movie with heavy political themes and wanton violence didn't exactly help international sales efforts.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Why is Batou flying the helicopter?

Ooh good....I'm not the only one who had that thought Anime hyper

Anyway, this seems like one of those anime I'd want to watch with friends so we could laugh at it. Maybe I'll track it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Quote:
"The military happens to be the French, and the reason they want Coo is to destroy any evidence of such a new and important species... so they can start using the ocean for nuclear testing."

Now that's probably the most ridiculous plot device I've ever heard. If the military is doing nuclear testing I don't think they would give a s&*t as to what life was in the ocean old or new. Unless this is a case of make sure nothing is down there so it won't raise suspicion later.

Or of making sure that there's nothing down there that will get mutated by the radiation...Coo might look cute now, but it'll be considerably less cute when it's several hundred feet tall and breathing radioactive fire. (Scoff if you will, but if the French hadn't engaged in nuclear testing we might have been spared the American Godzilla movie.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3