• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Eh, It's A Living

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kippy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
The dubbed version of Monster is streaming because it aired on Syfy; Manga Entertainment's the one who made it available.
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
I never got around to sending in a response for this week's Answerfans, either. I was simply too busy!

I'm a freelance writer, and the focus of my writing is on anime, manga, and music; however, I have also written and published some poetry on the Internet as well.

I also do some editing work for one the major Internet publishing sites; the type of editing I do is to edit potential titles for the writers at the site to write on. I have to make sure spelling is correct, grammar is correct, and syntax is correct. In addition to that, I also help out my department's supervisor by auditing 15 of my co-workers every week. My husband, who has been writing and self publishing some books, has me look over his manuscripts to help catch any spelling, grammar, or logistical errors he may have overlooked.

I'm also a mom of three kids (ages 13, 10, and 6). I'm a member of the PTA at my younger children's school, and have been the webmaster of the PTA's website for several years. I also have some affiliation with the Cub Scouts; I've been helping out my husband, who is the den leader for our son's Cub Scout den, and I'm also the Badgemaster for our Cub Scout pack.

And in my "spare time" (ha ha), I'm cooking meals, cleaning the house, and doing the other housekeeping tasks that need to get done. And in the midst of all that, I still manage to find time to watch some anime and read some manga so I can write about them. Smile

Well that's actually quite interesting.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Sir, yes, sir!!

BSEE here, I'm the guy who figures out how best to put down 600 parallel wires in a space the width of a human hair: physical-level microchip design & verification. Been at it for 14 years, which probably makes me twice the age of the average anime fan. Anime dazed

Outside of anime, I'm a bit of a music nut & stereophile, I enjoy cooking, I play golf (very recreationally) and bowl (in a league), and waste far too much time on computer games.

One! Two! Two engineers! DA HA HA![/TheCount]

Technically it's 'ma'am', but I'll take 'sir' as well. Wink

Anyways, wow, that's awesome what you do. I think micro technology (and smaller) is amazing. I was actually an EE for my first year of college, but I came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. It was interesting enough, but I didn't have a passion for it. I ended up transferring over to another college that had BME available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

Technically it's 'ma'am', but I'll take 'sir' as well. Wink

Anyways, wow, that's awesome what you do. I think micro technology (and smaller) is amazing. I was actually an EE for my first year of college, but I came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. It was interesting enough, but I didn't have a passion for it. I ended up transferring over to another college that had BME available.

You can make that three engineers, although I'm a mechanical engineer, the variety that's usually up to his elbows (and sometimes shoulders) in grease and oil, keeping a tugboat running smoothly. It's not what I went to college for, but I like it all the same.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, engineers coming out of the woodwork? I can dig it. I'm actually an optical engineer. No, I cannot fix your eyeglasses.

Last week's Answerfans: My life is kinda boring outside of manga and anime - I cook and play (ahem, learn to play) guitar. I used to write poetry and draw but I haven't picked up the pen in a while. I'm also a black belt in tae kwon do, so there's that.

Next week's Answerfans: If I'm watching a show and my opinion of it changes halfway through It's usually not from love to hate or hate to love, but I've had a few switches from "meh" to love and vice-versa. "Meh" to hate hasn't happened to me yet - not that I can remember. Then there's the always curious "meh" to "oooh" then back to "meh" Rolling Eyes .
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
I don't want it to seem like podcasting is my only hobby, but it's about the only thing I consider a hobby. I think of my writing more as work and the cooking I do is simply for eating. TV watching and game playing aren't really what I consider hobbies. I guess the only other thing I might consider a hobby would be off-air TV because it requires a lot of time fiddling with antennas to try and get in the most stations. (I have built my own antenna.) But after Canada finally transitions this week I probably won't be spending so much time with it.

But now I've got to get to work on scripting the 13 Days. I've only got a month and a half to do it.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I have my Master's Degree in Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, but I am still TRYING to go on for my Ph.D., as I seem to be the "old college kid who just can't leave" but I also have a passion for saving the environment and all things environmental, especially when they require some number-crunching. My ultimate goal is to be a university professor of green engineering, and as such I've been involved with a number of projects on campus which focus on increasing the sustainability of campus operations.

I also still enjoy campus life and college sports this far into my education, however. And I USED to get paid for what I did on campus for sustainability, but I recently found out you must be FULL-TIME to do that, and I had a bit of a setback when I had an accident this summer, so now I'm looking for another job, my first real job search with a Master's degree. I would say "ENGINEERS REPRESENT" but at this point I'm more of an Engineer wanna-be.

Anyway, enough about me. I think one of the main reasons Viz doesn't have dubbed episodes streaming on Hulu, even for a limited time, is because of contracts with [adult swim] and/or Apple. Dubbed episodes of CN/[as] favorites like Naruto, InuYasha, Bleach, Kekkaishi, and Death Note are all available for purchase on iTunes. (However, the first episode of each is downloadable for free!) However, what's interesting is that Funimation, despite having dubbed episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on iTunes for purchase, is also streaming them (albeit only through Episode 52) on their own website for free (however, 53 is available for downloading on iTunes until the end of the month. Yes, that's right. FIFTY-THREE, the one where spoiler[Roy brutally, sadistically, TORCHES Envy] can be part of your collection for free!!)! The same goes with Manga Entertainment properties, including Gurren Lagann, Gundam 00, and the aforementioned Monster, which are usually available streaming on Hulu/YouTube AND, bafflingly enough on iTunes! Perhaps it turns out the ad revenue from perpetually streaming them on ad-supported websites is more than what they were getting from a miniscule audience watching them on Syfy.

Finally, about the "contract" question: are we really sure that's the case? If so, it's weird that some "big name" voice actors such as Travis Willingham and Richard Cox tend to stay with the same studios (Funimation, Ocean) while others are more free-agent (most of the Bang-Zoom crew, Vic Mignogna). However, Travis does still take some contract work outside of Funi, as we've heard him in Bleach and Iron Man on G4. But then again, the lesser known names do tend to exhibit this behavior. Chris Patton, for instance, who voiced Greed in Episodes 13-14 of FMA:B but then was replaced by Troy Baker when he returned in Episode 28, obviously flew the coop. He was probably under contract or something.[/spoiler]
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
"Whining" and "whinging" are two different words, not just alternate spellings. "Whinging" is pronounced "win-jing".

Just sayin'.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
With all of these engineers coming out of the woodwork, I grow curious - am I the only teacher? (English, for the curious, and also a volunteer docent at my local history museum and only member of the library board under 65.)
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Somebody beat me to it, but at least at one time (I haven't been there lately) Cartoon Network had Kekkaishi dubbed episodes on their site. Also, I enjoyed watching the dub of Gundam 00 on Crunchyroll. I think they offer some shows dubbed, but good luck figuring out which ones!

willag wrote:

Gotta love them Sesame Street references! Razz
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
toyNN wrote:
Redline didn't seem to have a big dvd/bd sales in Japan, under 4k I think on Oricon . I believe Zak and others who say its really good - but why not better sales?

The audience it's aimed at simply isn't the audience that buys anime, if you are into K-On or Seikon No Quaser than you're probably not going to want to buy it.

That seems a bit confusing since I'd think the Redline committee thought they were making something for an audience that would be buying it after the theatrical run. But I seem to be seeing that it was a bit of a box-office failure too. So they made what some feel is a really good movie - just not many in Japan.

I guess one-off anime movies can have a difficult time if they don't hit it just right like a Summer Wars.

Or ...maybe you need more than just eye candy animation to carry a title in a movie theater. A believable plot from start to finish would help.

If you were comparing this to other 'mature themed" titles that came out recently, KnK, Colorful and Mardock Scramble are better titles than Redline imo.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd beg to differ. Two words: Michael Bay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2