• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Editors Apologize for Death Note Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Nothing is original anymore. Even in Japan.
Ladymercury

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Nothing is original anymore. Even in Japan.

When has Japan ever been original?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Lamente wrote:
Whenever I see plagiarism like this I can hardly believe it. It's pretty pathetic to copy someone else's work this exactly.

uh yeah, when you work 40 hours a week to get a chapter/written by deadline, tell me the idea's not at least tempting.

i don't understand why fans act so shocked and offended when this happens. every mangakai steals, it's just that every now and then, someone gets caught.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
To be fair, Death Note's been plagiarizing from Kodansha, too. [I.E. Akira-related shit in the second half.] Plus it's art is derivative of Devil Man. And Obata must like Recca, because he copied one of the chocolate-eating characters from it for DN...[Panel for panel, too, I might add.] Rolling Eyes

Differences of degree. I used to work in the Metropolitan Museum of Art- if you imitate or mimic someone's style, or use a pose that he used famously, that's generally not considered a foul. The guy in question might get uppity if he's still alive, or critics will blast you for being unoriginal, but those are personal issues rather then professional. If you use tropes that are well-established, that's not a foul either. One of the best examples is ancient Egyptian statuary- while not universal, a good deal of it is done standing straight, arms at sides, right foot always forward. Sitting sculpture has the same kind of codification. If you steal the idea but use your own hands, or steal a bit but it's not the focus of your work, that's homage. You may draw first snide comments and then serious criticism, but it's usually not a major deal. If you steal overtly but add a twist, that's parody.

What we have here is a good deal less justifiable. It's unambiguous imitation, to such a slavish extent that I suspect tracing paper, and the guy apparently tried to conceal the fact that it's from reference. And the comparisons posted to 2chan show it taking up a good chunk of the work- I'd guess about one third or so. The crucial issue with these situations is- is he putting in substantial creative effort of his own, or just taking advantage of someone else's success? I'd say the latter. While he may have put effort into putting pencil to paper, a six-year old could do that. Composition is much harder and requires much more effort, and he took a shortcut that he thought would get him the success without the work. Maybe his manga has an awesome storyline and his art skills are limited, but that's no excuse- either find a collaborator, or migrate it to a text-only medium.

There are shades of gray, and there might also be issues in play that I don't know about, but I think this author falls squarely in the black.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
To be fair, Death Note's been plagiarizing from Kodansha, too. [I.E. Akira-related shit in the second half.] Plus it's art is derivative of Devil Man. And Obata must like Recca, because he copied one of the chocolate-eating characters from it for DN...[Panel for panel, too, I might add.] Rolling Eyes

Hm... could it be that ALL Obata's works look like this? (i.e. HnG and the BD manga...) And he didn't create Mellow. Obha created him, Obata just drew the character, so using a similar character as reference could be fair game, and I really doubt the two characters look almost exactly the same, like with this case. Not that I've read Recca, so you might know if they actually look similar.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I like how that guy even took the swimming lesson. Good thing he admitted it because that would have been too blatant . I guess he tried to play on the fact that sometimes it happens that you do a similar scene even without you realizing that you've done it , but...swimming Lesson ? I bet that's what gave him away Razz
Lamente

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Lamente wrote:
Whenever I see plagiarism like this I can hardly believe it. It's pretty pathetic to copy someone else's work this exactly.

uh yeah, when you work 40 hours a week to get a chapter/written by deadline, tell me the idea's not at least tempting.

i don't understand why fans act so shocked and offended when this happens. every mangakai steals, it's just that every now and then, someone get caught.

Stealing ideas is one thing, but tracing over panels and passing them off as your own is simply shameful, especially in such massive volume as this. Makes me wonder if the other panels aren't traced from other manga. Now wouldn't that be funny...
Saint Juste

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
I do not know if its entirely plagiarism ok some I can understand are really alike like "woa at least change it a little ok XD?" but some I can point thousands of mangas with the same pose its not like a pose was ( C ) right? it would be incredible stupid if some pose was actually copyrighted O_O

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/guideline/imgs/9/9/995d2f4f.jpg
http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/guideline/imgs/3/b/3b504ebd.jpg
like this is actually paranoia I could point thousands like this ones BEFORE death note.

So I in manga which has thousands and millions of images they are not allowed to repeat a pose? I mean not in this case cause this one its pretty obvious ( although not traced but based by eye =O!)

So for other instances could it really be this serious. I mean they take it to hard but. I mean MANY images repeat they want it or not
urumi_chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Am I seriously the first person to notice that this guy plagarized Tenjo Tenge NOT Air Gear? Shocked He even copied the COVER of vol 3! How obvious is that? Someone really needs to correct this article.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
urumi_chan wrote:
Am I seriously the first person to notice that this guy plagarized Tenjo Tenge NOT Air Gear? Shocked He even copied the COVER of vol 3! How obvious is that? Someone really needs to correct this article.
he plagiarized both Air Gear and Tenjo Tenge ( which are made by the same author ). Even his main character looks like Ikki .
edit : I realize i linked the a Tenjo Tenge comparison page lol .
But i know i saw a Air Gear one somewhere.

Last edited by kurotsuki on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
Anyway, I feel sorry for Kodansha, because I think that, Ken Akatamsu aside, they have a better reputation for quality writing and art than Shueisha. But I guess I'll throw in the obligatory link.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
Shueisha's best feature I say is Shonen Jump. Look at popular it is.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:

While I think this is a little unfair, I don't entirely disagree. In Japan, the plagiarizing manga is dropped and it's difficult for the mangaka to find work again. In America, Rob Liefeld can do WHATEVER HE WANTS.

To be fair though, Liefeld at least halves the diameter of their ankles, and doubles the mass of their breasts, triple if the character in question is female. That's something at least.

I don't think this would be an issue except that it was SO massive. One or two similar panels is fine, but to life so many panels, especially from a single artist, is a bit excessive. Especially since, if I'm reading that site right, it looks as if about 90% of the panels in that issue were lifted from somewhere.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But I guess I'll throw in the obligatory link.
And what was THAT vid trying to prove? Most of those I was just like "LOLWUT?" (Micheal Jackson and a Japanese building?? WTF?!)
Saint Juste

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Aki Ameko wrote:
GATSU wrote:
But I guess I'll throw in the obligatory link.
And what was THAT vid trying to prove? Most of those I was just like "LOLWUT?" (Micheal Jackson and a Japanese building?? WTF?!)

Probably that sometimes they exaggerate too much Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3