• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam AGE & Seed BDs to Have English Subs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Are the Gundam seed bds going to have the fixed aspect ratio?

I really hate that they've cut off a lot of the picture, i would rather stretch it tbh.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

I really hate that they've cut off a lot of the picture, i would rather stretch it tbh.

Well i think it depends on the source material. I will assume that they only did the 16:9 instead of the original 4:3 because the material would allow them to do so without compromising the show. Oh well, let's wait and see.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
formerroadie1 wrote:
Here we go. Forced importation if you want anime. I sure hope people DON'T do this. You want to stop this from happening, speak with your wallets.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything. The release info was made months back and only recently they mentioned that it will include English sub and now some are over-reacting ?? People will still have other legit ways to watch/own the show(s) in lower price alternatives such as streams, digital downloads and so on.

BDs have always been made for collectors who prefer physical copies and are willing to pay premium price for it (at least in Japan). I don't see a reason for that to change just because they included English sub for perhaps a number of oversee fans who wouldn't mind that at all.

I will surly pick Seed (pending reviews), as for Age neither English sub or dub would make me interested in it at all. I'll save my money for Gundam Origin when it comes or other Gundam shows on BD with sub in the future.

My problem is that Bandai closed Bandai Entertainment, then they are going to come to America, and try to come up with some BS spin, about how they really want anime to reach a broader audience and clearly that answer is really expensive anime not in english that the average human being isn't going to buy.

It's like the Anime industry and the comic industry have engaged in some kind of contest in who can alienate the most people.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Well i think it depends on the source material. I will assume that they only did the 16:9 instead of the original 4:3 because the material would allow them to do so without compromising the show. Oh well, let's wait and see.

No, the picture is compromised to Hell and back. I took a look at a fansub of the episode one broadcast, and some of the scenes look absolutely terrible. Cropping the SD video to retrofit it to a 16:9 aspect ratio really hurt the show. I haven't compared the two, but I'm pretty sure my old Bandai Entertainment DVDs look better.

If we could get a simple, conservative upscale, I'd be interested in owning a set, but from what I've seen, I'm not even sure I'd buy the SEED remaster at Anime Legends prices. Crying or Very sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping that the rest of Unicorn gets an English dub. Unicorn's English dub is the best Gundam dub yet.

As for AGE and SEED, neither of them is good enough to warrent a purchase. Trust me, if you haven't seen AGE, you're missing out on nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
OtakuboyT wrote:
I will not pay those insane prices again. Sure us old timers remember paying $20-$30 for a tape with 1 or 2 episodes. BUT NEVER AGAIN.

Don't apply that "NEVER AGAIN" to me. ^_^ I'm not an "old timer", but I've been watching and buying anime since gaining an interest in 1991. I remember those $30 VHS tapes, and I didn't mind the $30 DVD-singes (with 2-3 times the episode count) from just a few years ago. If prices had kept up with inflation, then they'd have been significantly more expensive. I've also been importing audio and video discs since the early '90s (heck, I think that I may have purchased a Japanese Patlabor VHS tape back in '91 from the LA Kinokuniya).

Quote:
We over here are cheap.

Yeah, most people are, and that's what Funi and others have been giving us the option to buy.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm just hoping that the rest of Unicorn gets an English dub. Unicorn's English dub is the best Gundam dub yet.

As for AGE and SEED, neither of them is good enough to warrent a purchase. Trust me, if you haven't seen AGE, you're missing out on nothing.

Unicorn's dub is by Sunrise directly. Bandai had nothing to do with it.

As for your comments on SEED and AGE, to each their own I guess. SEED while I admit was flawed, was enjoyable. Had one of the greatest, if not the greatest, soundtracks I've ever heard in a Gundam show, that goes double for Destiny.

AGE is picking up. I mean, really. How often do you have a completely insane, bloodthirsty, out for revenge main character in a kid's show? Not to mention the second Gen is definitely proving to be better, both in mechanics and characters. Can't say much for the plot however. I would have really liked AGE to get on TV with an English dub but alas that will never happen.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The short of this is really simple; If Japanese Companies want to play their stupid mind games where they fool 1000 people into thinking that paying $80 for two episodes a disk is OK then they can keep doing that.
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
My only real problem with this is how Gundam 00 has basically missed the cutoff for this new approach.

I hadn't bought the show because I'll only buy it on Blu-ray, but now there's definitely zero chance of it getting a US BD release, and Japan already has theirs out without subtitles.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
My only real problem with this is how Gundam 00 has basically missed the cutoff for this new approach.

I hadn't bought the show because I'll only buy it on Blu-ray, but now there's definitely zero chance of it getting a US BD release, and Japan already has theirs out without subtitles.

Yeah same here with Code Geass Sad but you never know. They might make another press later with sub.
RedTail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
For Bandai, there's no downside in doing this. Take a marginal title and slap some cheap English subs on it. If American fans bite, good. If not, some Japanese fan will probably buy it for full price anyway. No unsold stock, no additional operating costs, and no reverse importation worries.

Welcome to the future of anime, gentlemen. Bandai wasn't the first to start doing this. I doubt they'll be the last.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Yes, but there's no upside ether. It's no gain, no loss. Just existance. A purgatory where success is not glory.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
Great, so now that Bandai doesn't exist, people who want to see more Gundam dubbed are SOL because Bandai Visual will just slap subs on all the Blu-rays. Even if they included a dub I wouldn't bother to import, because the prices are off the wall.

Worst idea ever.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Great, so now that Bandai doesn't exist, people who want to see more Gundam dubbed are SOL because Bandai Visual will just slap subs on all the Blu-rays. Even if they included a dub I wouldn't bother to import, because the prices are off the wall.

Worst idea ever.

And people honestly wonder why I'm not a big Gundam fan.

People..... crap like THIS is not the only reason why.... but it's one of the reasons, for sure. Rolling Eyes
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
I just ordered the LE for Gundam AGE vol. 1 off CDJapan. I'm glad they're making this move, as I was interested in AGE when I first heard about it.

From CDJapan:

Gundam AGE Regular editions:
(only 2 copies left of vol. 1 regular edition)
Mobile Suits Gundam AGE / Animation
Mobile Suits Gundam AGE Vol.1 [Blu-ray]

Mobile Suits Gundam AGE Vol.2 [Blu-ray]

Gundam AGE Limited Editions:

Mobile Suits Gundam AGE Vol.1 [Deluxe Version] [Limited Edition] [Blu-ray]

Mobile Suits Gundam AGE Vol.2 [Deluxe Version] [Limited Pressing] [Blu-ray]

Gundam SEED HD Remaster:

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED / Animation
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED HD Remaster Blu-ray Box 1 [Regular Edition] [Blu-ray]

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED / Animation
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED HD Remaster Blu-ray Box 1 [Limited Edition] [Blu-ray]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3