• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Higurashi, Familiar of Zero Licenses Expire

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Well this is unfortunate. Though you got to do what you got to do when you have poor sales. Such a shame too since both of these series have big fanbases. Maybe Sentai Filmworks or Media Blasters will try rescuing one or both.

Well, now I have to deal with the typical out of print inflation if I want to own the DVD's (I had been meaning to own both shows at some point.).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Talesfan132

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again, jeez Funi 's getting as bad as Bamco (Though I hate them with a heart) though I'm not suprisied. I'm not suprisied about the Fimilar of Zero at all, for the problem with that was the novels not being released in english, thanks to Seven Seas Entertainment putting it's novel line on perment haitus (Tanks to that no Ballad of a Shinigami or the last novel of Pita-Ten) How are people to learn about a series if they haven't heard of it before? Sure, people can hear about on line, but I would rather buy the novels and read the original, then watch the anime first. So, of course that died. For Higurashi, it has more stablitly, for they have released up to the second volumen of the Eye Opening Arc, which is up to twelve volumens in total, and along with the side stories like, Beyond the Midnight Arc and the Demon Exposing arc, so all together their are fourteen in total. Not only that, but they also have the visual novels in english, (Which is the only series, besides Shuffle (I think) that have both the anime and game released in english) of course throwing all the sales together would show the fanbase, but that wouldn't help. For if they release Kai, they would have to look at only at what, one game, and the manga volumes aren't in english, so that doesn't help. My idea is, they have to consider Kai a diffrent part of the series, not as a conclusion. So, even though it's stable, not enough to be released in english, and for Umneiko, their is nothing in english about the series, so unless you know Higurashi, you probably wouldn't know it, though it is odd I saw a website that had two T-Shirts for it...Anyhow, they have to go by sales, even though the saying the buyer is always right, but that doesn't count here. Funimation rather work with series that do good, like the never ending Dragon Ball Z, which I would like to see end already, and One Piece, along with Fullmetal Alchemist. They care more for the stable series, though, they did get Dance in the Vampire Bund rather fast even though it strays from the manga. Final point from my rambaling, we can't get something that does bad. Remember, most people don't buy the DVDs, they watch online. Oh, for you people begging for a subtitle version, how many of you will actually buy it? I have seen people beg for animes (To you Bandai) and finally get it, but once they find it out it's subtitle only they don't buy (Like all the people who won't buy Tales of the Abyss, though they complained about it) So, it also goes with dubs, people say that the dub sucked (I didn't hate it all, though at times the screaming work, mainly Keiichi. Though, Mela Lee did a good job as Rena, but why does she sound horrable as Yuki from Vampire Knight I do not know) and they don't but it, they watch on line. Bottom line from my rambling, people complain if it's english or subtitles, if they don't want to have it the why they like it, they won't pay, for the people can't just switch it over to subtiltes, and watch with the original voices? Same with games, they want it, but it they don't like the way it sounds, they won't buy it unless it has dual voices. In the end, we loes either way because most people watch and read online, but glady complain when it's part your fault it didn't come out if you aren't willing to help. Jeez, I go on to much. Though, I rather have NIS America release it, for the DVDs come with speicals some times like ToraDora and Pandora Hearts.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I got the feeling that anyone who wanted Higurashi either bought it or downloaded it already, so I'm not at all surprised that it had low sales.
Teumessian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I understand that Funimation is wasting money on failed titles. On a micro level, I am wasting money on the same failed titles.

The things is, you did get the entire series of WTC and Familiar of Zero. You didn't get the *continuations* of them, which are entirely separate entities when dealing with licenses. I'm sure if there was any way to get a contract that included all future potential iterations of a metaseries, companies would be willing to sign them. Hell, I'm surprised Bandai doesn't already have one specifically for the Gundam franchise, they probably hate having to draw up new papers for every little bit of Gundam that comes out. Funi would have probably loved having one attached to the Dragonball franchise as well, and I'm sure that Viz had to do more paperwork for Naruto Shippuden, even though it's still technically the same show.

Almaz wrote:
As a waiting for a title to come out, years is quite a long while. I have a hard time believing I am impatient for waiting years for something. That is a long period of time. You can get hit by a beer truck several times in that time period.

Licensing and lawyerspeak takes a long time to deal with, even before adding in dealing with foreign language, foreign laws, international laws, etc. Even if something is done, they still have to go through the proper steps, this is also why fansubs/scans are so much faster than even Crunchyroll's simulcasts: everything needs to be approved by both sides or it's back to square one. Look at a novel coming out in English: George R.R. Martin's "A Dance With Dragons". It's done. It's been edited, there is no translation to do, you talk to his agent who talks to him, things get done. When's it coming out? Three more months.

They just have to typeset, print, bind, and ship, and the associated logistics add three months. Now add in dealing with people who may not understand why something needs to be changed (incorrect usage of the English language) and refuses to allow it to be; just names that are either "Romanised" incorrectly due to many ways of pronouncing it or converted into Japanese from English incorrectly (in El Shaddai, Lucifer is Lucifel, and that's final; in Gunsmith Cats, Rally is actually Larry according to the author; Verdandi to Belldandy) add a lot of problems. That's just one small aspect of the whole.

Just because it doesn't seem like something should take too long doesn't mean it won't. Yes, that can annoy people, and yes, many of them will move on to newer and shinier things, but that's not the faults of the creators, nor the faults of the licensors. If you are serious about wanting something, sometimes you have to have a little patience. Sometimes you have to have a LOT of patience. But don't tell me that a company is in the wrong by taking time to do things the way they fell they need to, or the way they are required to.

If you think it's wrong, try it yourself, legitimately. Go through the proper channels, talk to the right people, and see just how long it can take to get things ready for you to get to work. And then get frustrated when you have to do a chunk over again because it has been decided by some committee that you didn't do it the way they wanted it done, and never told you. Then try to explain all of this to your fans, who will only hear what they want to hear, that you aren't trying hard enough and they don't want excuses, just results. Funnily enough, that's what that committee will likely be telling you when you don't make your deadlines or sell enough product.
Almaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for starting this misunderstanding of my words. For those I offended (including Funimation), sorry. If Funimation wants to drop a title, just say "we are not renewing the license." What made me unhappy is comment that the license was probably would be cheap, and fans should just license the title themselves or beg someone else. Along with the Big Windup affair and the long speech on piracy, a series of affairs, to me, makes it sound like the fans are to blame. Everyone is using piracy as the scapegoat. Tired of it. If the statement from Funimation was the licenses were expired, I would say that sucks. Adding the last part sounds like the fans of the shows are not worth their time.

It is a trust issue. When I purchase the first part of a series, will it even continue? Funimation is better in the fact that they at least finished seasons. I know some fans do not care about spending money. I know there are fans who do care. I wanted to just say that Funimation is losing sales from their comments and not continuing the series. Funimation even renamed the Familiar of Zero season 1. I was expecting season 2. That's all. I will be buying from Funimation. Just not as much. And part of that is from the lack of shows I am interested in. Again, everyone I am sorry. Thanks for your patience.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
While this does bite for a dub release, there is always that slim chance they could be licensed and released subtitled-only by Sentai Filmworks just like the rest of Hell Girl. So fans can always hope for that.

Unfortnately it'll screw over all the dubbers like me. Also I liked Higurashi as well as Zero no Tsukaima's english dub. They were preety decent.

Sure I can agree that Geneon could had gave Zero's dub a better casting like with Shakuguan no Shana ,but it's solid enough.

However , i hope that Higurashi as well as Zero dont end up facing the same fate as Hell Girl cause it is starting to look like it's gonna be like that.

Not to mentioned the other series of Geneon as well ( Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha , Shakuguan No Shana , Hellsing Ultimate ) might be next. That there would be a nightmare senario.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lewieroo0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
You got to be kidding me?! This is one of those series that NEEDS the sequel to fully complete the story! It's just a shame to see such an interesting show dropped like that (Not to mention that the dub wasn't bad at all) Sigh..we can only hope that they might change their mind if fans let them know how much we want it Sad
lelouch129

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I dont know about others but i bought the Higurashi series because the japanese voices rocked. I dont know how many people bought the 1st season of Higurashi but i gurantee them that the same # would be sold. All of us who bought it loved the series. Put that in ur money grubbing mouths A$$holes!
Archon_Valar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Well this stinks. My friend introduced me to anime just a few months ago and loaned me of all things Higurashi and Familiar of Zero, both of which I liked. I don't see why so many people do not like the dubbing for these series, I would know I watched them like 4 times each in both languages. Higurashi's dub did a better job of 'psychological horror' even though some of its scenes weren't as well done and I only had one gripe with Familiar of Zero in its voice of the princess Henrietta.

I would dearly love them to bring back and continue these series, I liked them both so much that if need be I'd even pay double if it meant they continued. I hat to see two good series with lots of fans never get to go on just because of 'poor sales'. This is what I get for joining the anime world late, if I had known about these series a while ago I would have been up in arms about not being able to get them. What sucks even more is that I'm told you have to see Higurashi's SECOND season in order to fully understand what went on in the FIRST one.
Archon_Valar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote
lewieroo0 wrote:
You got to be kidding me?! This is one of those series that NEEDS the sequel to fully complete the story! It's just a shame to see such an interesting show dropped like that (Not to mention that the dub wasn't bad at all) Sigh..we can only hope that they might change their mind if fans let them know how much we want it Sad
Agreed. Loved it to bits, Higurashi probably sits absolute number 1 favourite show I've ever seen, and that' AFTER going through my friends ENTIRE collection of over 50 complete series.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
>necrobumping a 14 month old thread
Archon_Valar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
>necrobumping a 14 month old thread
You're point being... what exactly? I wouldn't bother if I thought it was too old. 14 months isn't exactly that long in the scheme of things, I had and opinion, and I decided to voice it. Note that YOU also bothered posting.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Archon_Valar wrote:
Note that YOU also bothered posting.

Yeah, you already bumped it, so it doesn't make a difference.

The point is you shouldn't bump ancient threads unless you have a really compelling reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11