• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm....Wonder if Tora's past as a cursed general is the key factor to his eventual romance with Mayuko? She does share some genuine kindness with his ex-wife. Either way, I agree that his peers are the ones at fault for neglecting him just because.

The change in artistic style doesn't really come across me as an issue. Given that Tora's past is played as a flashback in Ushio's mind, and the anticipated final battle against Hakumen in the last 5 episodes, this is actually pretty wise. I mean, they could have done it gracefully here, but then mess up in the finale, which is clearly a worse consequence. I feel that the review exaggerated that way too much.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the "Kirlian Oscillation Device: Trump" made me laugh too.

And yes, Hakumen no Mono feeds on fear, so the hope that's arisen now people remember Ushio (and one thing about this show is the way that characters who seemed to be throwaways early on come back for a reason) has got to be the key to defeat Hakumen, who, by the way, is one of the few really terrifying monsters of anime (largely thanks to the excellent voice acting which just makes the character).

It's all real 'edge of seat' stuff.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
When I was watching the latest episode this past Friday, the moment I saw the Trump weapon mentioned, I knew it would get brought up here in the review. XD
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
I keep forgetting that Hyou exists. I wonder if he got more focus in the manga?

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It threw me for a loop when the stranger introduced herself as an Academy Award winning actress (am I supposed to know who she is?)

I agree. I think it was pointless to mention she was one or even make her one. Adding that seemed very irrelevant; the impact would have been the same had she been an ordinary woman.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I think it was just shorthand for "beauty, fame and money can't buy happiness," and making her particularly pathetic for putting them ahead of her child. Doesn't quite work if she's just an underpaid salarywoman.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it OK to ship Tora and Mayuko? Tora looks more like a tiger than a person, but he's always had a human will, and now we know it's because he used to be human

It's totally okay to ship them. Tora's not like an actual tiger or anything, and demon/monster romance with humans is always high on my list, provided it's done right (still waiting for a good male demon/monster & male human romance to emerge).

All I can say is I want Hakumen sealed away so he (or it or whatever) shuts up already. I've actually gotten quite exasperated at the sound of his voice and the ridiculous level of arrogance he has.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they are saving enough money for next weeks climax.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 37

To me the episode was on a par with the previous episodes in this climactic arc. If the animation was lacking, perhaps it's because the animators have been having a blast with the youkai. I've certainly been having fun watching the backgrounds for the insane variety they've presented. Three of my favorites:

I like the shocked children, since everyone around them looks sternly determined, and the lobster with faces on its claws was unexpected. When I saw the maid flash by, I went "wait, back up, was that a maid ghost?" She's detailed to the extent that I feel like I should remember that we've seen her before or something, but I don't recall any such character. Anybody recognize her?
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
So yeah. Tora and Mayuko just became my new OTP. Not only are they insanely cute but my dity mind can't stop reading their "eat me" line as a euphemism. Embarassed
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tora's goal has always been to eat Ushio, but this episode turns that goal into a kind of fairytale cheese: Tora, you've been eating Ushio all along!

^Forgive me, but I read this in the wrong tone of voice. Now it's just hilarious. XD

Anyway, this episode is one of those "we're all fighting together" bits that I enjoy seeing in just about anything. I especially love how at the end when spoiler[Tora just dissed Hakumen outright for being afraid of him and Ushio because Hakumen's final two tails use their attacks. Nothing better than telling the final boss off].
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
great episode, but still not great in the animation department, I understand and can tolerate the scenes with big crowds being static, as that is a lot of people to animate. But even when it was just Ushio, Tora and Hakumen there was very little movement going on, they already have the luxury of the azafuse and Hakumen not needing mouth movements for speech, so at least do something good with the fighting.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
This episode is great as ever in storytelling, but the animation just didn't look good there, so an A for this episode is a little unexpected on my part: I thought the reviewer decides the grade for an episode based on the overall execution of that episode (story+animation)?
Aezreal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
This episode is great as ever in storytelling, but the animation just didn't look good there, so an A for this episode is a little unexpected on my part: I thought the reviewer decides the grade for an episode based on the overall execution of that episode (story+animation)?

While I do believe those elements factor into the author's appreciation of a given episode, at the end of the day all of the weekly episode reviews seem to be linked only to how much the reviewer enjoyed the episode, and the reasons why they did or didn't can be distinct from the technical merits of the show. That style of evaluation (going by story, animation and so forth) seems to be reserved for the reviews of completed shows or published works.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tora's goal has always been to eat Ushio, but this episode turns that goal into a kind of fairytale cheese: Tora, you've been eating Ushio all along!

Maybe eating Ushio was the friends we made along the way Laughing

I thought the part with Reiko and Yuu's dads was a little too much cheese for me (why was the airplane a ghost too?), but I'm okay with the show giving all its cast a last minute under the sun. I haven't stopped to count, but doesn't Hakumen have 9 tails? If he does, he might have one more ace under his sleeve
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12