• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation to Unveil New Anime Next Friday

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
It was an exaggeration, but OK, I should've said that there aren't many rather than none. Still, of the shows you guys mention, a good chunk have at least something Rahxephon doesn't like. Bartender is a SoL, Kaiba has romance, and arguably, Code Geass and Darker than Black can be considered action/fighting, if not the Shonen kind of action. Devil Survivor and Kyojin are typical shonen, though, so is Digimon Tamers, and Gargantia is full of cute girls. What I'm saying is that Rahxephon dislikes most of the common anime themes -I mean, if Gargantia is not his type of show despite his apparent love of mecha, I don't know what is- so I question if Anime in and of itself is a medium that he can enjoy when he dislikes so many things about it in general
Kastel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I question if Anime in and of itself is a medium that he can enjoy when he dislikes so many things about it in general

I would not just question that but whether he likes fiction as a whole. Because, you know, fiction does have those genres embedded into them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Akiroko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It was an exaggeration, but OK, I should've said that there aren't many rather than none. Still, of the shows you guys mention, a good chunk have at least something Rahxephon doesn't like. Bartender is a SoL, Kaiba has romance, and arguably, Code Geass and Darker than Black can be considered action/fighting, if not the Shonen kind of action. Devil Survivor and Kyojin are typical shonen, though, so is Digimon Tamers, and Gargantia is full of cute girls. What I'm saying is that Rahxephon dislikes most of the common anime themes -I mean, if Gargantia is not his type of show despite his apparent love of mecha, I don't know what is- so I question if Anime in and of itself is a medium that he can enjoy when he dislikes so many things about it in general

I'm willing to grant you Devil Survivor, though I would certainly disagree that Tamers is your stereotypical kind of shounen. I'd also note that Code Geass also has some pretty big romantic themes at times (entire character arcs and subplots are based on the love characters have for each other, for instance).

But that aside, I do agree with your post, and you put it better than I could: given the medium, Rahxephon's criteria are quite... restrictive, and thought about putting as such in my response, but I couldn't quite figure out how to word it. Even when those elements don't dominate a show, they are typically present- probably because many of those themes are pretty key themes in good chunks of fiction as a whole- and so if he's refusing to watch shows where those are even just prominent elements, I suppose I can understand why he's having so much trouble.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Akiroko wrote:

I'm willing to grant you Devil Survivor, though I would certainly disagree that Tamers is your stereotypical kind of shounen. I'd also note that Code Geass also has some pretty big romantic themes at times (entire character arcs and subplots are based on the love characters have for each other, for instance).

Digimon Tamers is a kids show.

Its a little boy's kids show. It is the very definition of "shonen". Sure, its really, really, really good...but that doesn't change what it is.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Akiroko wrote:
though I would certainly disagree that Tamers is your stereotypical kind of shounen.

Digimon is about as shounen as they get outside the Big Three.
Akiroko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Its a little boy's kids show. It is the very definition of "shonen". Sure, its really, really, really good...but that doesn't change what it is.

TitanXL wrote:
Akiroko wrote:
though I would certainly disagree that Tamers is your stereotypical kind of shounen.

Digimon is about as shounen as they get outside the Big Three.

*Shrug* Fair enough. That was probably more a knee-jerk "But... but I like the show! It can't be for kids!" than anything even remotely connected to a rational portion of my response.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
Amazing amount of discussion of a vague silhouette! I guess that just goes to show how much pull Kyoto Animation has for us fans...
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
REWRITE!!!! REWRITE!!!! REWRITE!!!! REWRITE!!!! REWRITE!!!! REWRITE!!!! REWRITE!!!! REWRITE!!!! REWRITE!!!! REWRITE!!!!

OH PLEASE GOD, REWRITE!!!!

Ahem... sorry about that.

Better luck next time.

Will will be swimming, the silhouettes could one one guy and one girl thou.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Its not going to be swimming. There just has not been enough time for it. This time next year, sure. But now? Not a chance. Thats not how KyoAni works.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Amazing amount of discussion of a vague silhouette! I guess that just goes to show how much pull Kyoto Animation has for us fans...

Yup, no one would care if any of the other studios did this. Maybe a post or two on speculation, but certainly no ongoing debate.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Its not going to be swimming. There just has not been enough time for it. This time next year, sure. But now? Not a chance. Thats not how KyoAni works.

Why? Is it something along the lines of "My heart is not ready yet" (not saying specifically that yours, but that of Kyonai's fans in general)

Laughing

h/jk, I see where you are coming, well, could be, or maybe that swimming video was is was to "prepare our hearts", I honestly cannot imagine kyoani going out of their usual "practices", it would be too surreal or sounds too good to be true.

What you say its very plausible if as speculated that was just one random swimming video and that was all, if not now it can come up later.

Kyoani could just be teasing fans and at the same time testing the waters for a possible swimming anime (all male or male driven) in the near future too (checking reaction now, preparing its pure fans' heart, etc), I am more inclined to this, buy my wishes are that they do the swimming anime NOW.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Yup, no one would care if any of the other studios did this. Maybe a post or two on speculation, but certainly no ongoing debate.

I think is more the curiosity to know if Kyoani can ditch moe girls for a hot sexy male cast. Appeal to the fujoshi instead now, and something along those lines, you know with that swimming video an all.
Kastel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Studio Do/KyoAni was intending to appeal to the fujoshi when it was in fact an advertisement for Studio Do. You know, to show investors it can animate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Why? Is it something along the lines of "My heart is not ready yet" (not saying specifically that yours, but that of Kyonai's fans in general)

Laughing

h/jk, I see where you are coming, well, could be, or maybe that swimming video was is was to "prepare our hearts", I honestly cannot imagine kyoani going out of their usual "practices", it would be too surreal or sounds too good to be true.

What you say its very plausible if as speculated that was just one random swimming video and that was all, if not now it can come up later.

Kyoani could just be teasing fans and at the same time testing the waters for a possible swimming anime (all male or male driven) in the near future too (checking reaction now, preparing its pure fans' heart, etc), I am more inclined to this, buy my wishes are that they do the swimming anime NOW.
The video you are referring to was a CM to promote the company similar to 7 of the 8 previously aired. Considering that none of the 8 other ones are getting animated (outside Boundary since it was originally promoting one of their LNs), it's safe to say that the swimming CM was just that: a CM. People want to call every single video produced a PV for this or that, but this was a CM. KyoAni makes CMs to broaden their talents (notice how each CM tends to have different themes/animation styles). This one was just different since it was mostly done by their subcontracting studio, Animation DO. If it was meant to be something more, perhaps DO would still be advertising it on their website outside "We participated in this CM for Kyoto Animation."

How many people said "Oh, KyoAni is going to make a show about gardening/skydiving/riding dolphins in the sky/riding stars out of storyboards/abstract art modeling/modern samurai saving kids/going to a futuristic version of their store?" Pretty much none, yet something clicked with the swimming CM that made people instantly assume it had to be a PV for some upcoming show.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
I wonder if Studio Do/KyoAni was intending to appeal to the fujoshi when it was in fact an advertisement for Studio Do. You know, to show investors it can animate.

Indeed, the thing is we don't know for sure what that video was and its full or real purpose.

The fujoshi reaction was huge intended or not, I think there was even a petition to make an anime of it, now in recent years fujoshi have shown that they can be as big buyers as male hardcore otaku, lots of love their way lately, I see why kyonai should ignore them (or the juicy market for tat matter) as we know they constantly have been aiming for super hits and tailoring their anime for that purpose.

Now fujoshi titles beat the hell out of 100% moe driven titles, like those of kyoani, I see why Kyoani cant show some love to them, now or later or if if it will remain "loyal" to hardcore male otaku is the question.

@ ultimatemegax

I cannot disagree, but as you say last, this CM or whatever it was, caused a huge reaction, who knows, maybe we can see something related to it now or later, you cannot deny this picture for this new anime further adds to the speculation about the swimming anime, so Kyoani is either teasing about it as I said for x rason and il will be something else or indeed the swimming anime, I don't see any plausible explanation that rule out this, even if that was just a cm for another studio, hence all the speculation.

That said, I am no an o kyoani anyway so its not like I am expecting this or other anime, but have curiosity for reason I mentioned.

Last edited by dan9999 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Indeed, the thing is we don't know for sure what that video was and its full or real purpose.

I like how you are just blithely ignoring reality here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17