• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
This episode had it all, comedy, drama, heart. The one to save them from spoiler[being stuck in groundhog day was the dad, after all, with his very mundane metal worker skills]. Loved it. My favorite moment: The characters apologizing to the audience for not moving the plot along. Melancholy never tasted so lighthearted.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
So one of the giant space empires' secret weapon is a spoiler[guncannon]? LOL good luck, guys. I like how Dandy doesn't even know the "villains" exist.

This was a pretty good one with just the right amount of touching and silliness. I was expecting spoiler[the part Meow's dad's factory made to be the part they needed for the ship.]
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
So one of the giant space empires' secret weapon is a spoiler[guncannon]? LOL good luck, guys. I like how Dandy doesn't even know the "villains" exist.

Actually, it's a mix of spoiler[the Ideon, a Guncannon, and Gaogaiger].
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This was a pretty good one with just the right amount of touching and silliness. I was expecting spoiler[the part Meow's dad's factory made to be the part they needed for the ship.]

Yeah,but that part is probably the most brilliant Gundam joke ever.If it was useful it would lose it's meaning.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
That flew right over my head. Wow, what a derpy viewing day yesterday. 3 shows totally wooshed me.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah,but that part is probably the most brilliant Gundam joke ever.If it was useful it would lose it's meaning.

Can someone please explain the Gundam homage re: the part Meow's dad makes? I saw people on Twitter praising it, but I didn't quite get it myself.

Too bad about Katie Cat. Though, even if she weren't spoiler[gay], she'd probably still be too good for Meow. She's really pretty for a Cat (Betelguesian, whatever). Smile
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Can someone please explain the Gundam homage re: the part Meow's dad makes? I saw people on Twitter praising it, but I didn't quite get it myself.

spoiler[It's a useless junk that Amuro's dad creates when he goes mad.]

Last edited by danilo07 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Well, now I feel bad for Meow's dad. It's useful if the job pays him enough to support his family, I guess. On that note, how big is Meow's family? He sure has a lot of siblings.

I wonder how Toonami will handle the cour split. They haven't mentioned it yet.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
See Kyoto Animation, that is how you do a time loop story. Space Dandy is stupid but at least it isn't lazy.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
See Kyoto Animation, that is how you do a time loop story. Space Dandy is stupid but at least it isn't lazy.

To be fair with each endless eight episodes there was completely new animations which means they weren't exactly "lazy" because other wise they would have just reused the same animations and footage (which space dandy did in this episode btw). They just handled it poorly by dragging it out longer than necessary.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
You know, this show really seems to have hit its stride. I mean, I've always liked it, but if I were to rank the episodes thus far, the first three would also be the bottom three for sure. And the last three would all be in the top five at least. It's good to see.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:
By far the weirdest episode of Space Dandy,which should tell you a lot.In fact this episode was so weird that it crossed into the category of strange.It was written by a man called Toh Enjoe,who is known for his impenetrability ,and I can only congratulate Watanabe and his crew for producing this episode.I really spoiler[ like what they did with colors and mecha designs,by making them look like scribbles,it appears as if the entire world has lost the memory of it's previous form,which ties into the theme of episode.]It was also the most effective episode in terms of it's atmosphere,like I said it puts you nicely into the shoes of person suffering from amnesia and it also makes your head incapable of turning away from the screen. I wonder if anyone would capable of creating possible chronology of this episode.
So is this purely an exercise in atmosphere or is it perhaps a complexly crafted story that works as commentary on the needlessness of information for the continuation of our lives(it works both-ways,despite not having enough information about the events that transpired I still vehemently enjoyed this episode) ?Personally I think it's both and that is what makes it my favorite episode so far.Space Dandy is [expletive] great.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

OMG, the Dandy universe is truly insane. Firstly, fans of Doctor Who are probably, it can fit in with a couple things likespoiler[ aliens that you forget about, library planets with noone on it, pieces of paper that change what people read on it, and alien beings who's existence can be] a little hard to understand.

Now this episode might look crazy for the sake of crazy, as you might think the rest of the series is, but this one is actually touching the true plot more than any other episode. The first that really hinted this to me was what Dr Gel was talking about, of note he was mentioning about spoiler[a large amount of energy being able to affect], but it seems likely that there is even more to it than that. From what we learned at the end of the episode was that spoiler[an alien made of knowledge was interested in Dandy, and that they were not able to figure out what it wanted, so it used Dr Gel to figure it out (likely because he is smarter)].

The theory has popped up in these forums before, that Dandy is spoiler[still under the influence of an accident earlier in the series about space and time, which is how we have had times where he has died but come back alive the next episode]. And this seems most likely what the spoiler[book wanted to learn about], and Dandy just spoiler[scrawling the random symbol (luck right) was the final key that revealed a formulae about Dandy's existence which filled up multiple pages of the book]. Gel learning spoiler[this truth was enough for him to just accept death].

Now the case may never pop up as the series might never want tackle it, and the series is just goofy, with changing continuation between episodes. But if that is the case, my opinion would be this episode was a form of spoiler[4th wall breaking where the characters within the universe were learning plot devices like the protagonist, affect their universe]. A universe made entirely spoiler[for entertainment], and if that is the case, could it be no surprise the final piece was..... spoiler[Boobies]?

Am I totally overthinking this?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
I understand the sometimes weird art direction the show has sometimes, but that usually doesn't extend to the characters and ships.

It looked like they were going for a charcoal nondescript look for the library world. But for some reason, they made the main Gogol Empire ship look like a lumpy mold ball, and the fleet ships had a sloppy nondescript look.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Right there with you, DuskyPredator. There can never be any consequences within this universe because spoiler[Dandy's adventures are constantly rewritten, along with his memories.] Because there are just too many stories out there that want to get written. spoiler[Too many boxes to peek into and loose yourself in.] The ending of this episode was absurdly brilliant. This show is wonderfully creative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 24