• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: Awakening of the Trailblazer

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
-snippage-

Whoa, I honestly didn't think you'd show up here Very Happy
Cool & Twisted wrote:
akizuki minori wrote:

Boy how I wished that the show actually make the whole element you've stated above obvious (at least, easier) to realize instead of having to analyse the compelling elements of SEED to actually get it...

And I personally HATED Destiny. Not SEED though, it was actually decent, I'd have loved the show if not because of the constant, annoying flashbacks that were thrown at me...

Jesus Christ dude it's like we think just alike. Totally, agree with you SEED was decent. Although,so as you refuse to analyze certain points (like how the pilots are able to survive death etc.) of the show.

Whoa, I think all three of us are like net brothers or something.

So, we've officially stopped talking about the review and the movie less than 10% of us actually saw right?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
So, we've officially stopped talking about the review and the movie less than 10% of us actually saw right?

It was official on page seven, when people ignored my request. But heck, even I've given up about trying to stay on topic. As long as we're civil, I see no real harm.
Cool & Twisted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Celestial Being does what it does for most of the series acutely aware that they are living contradictions, an idea that is expressed starting with the very first episode by Graham Aker. Cool & Twisted, I think this is something you should consider as well.

Well of course I'm aware of it. However, it's as I said before in my above post if people couldn't get on the road to peace then someone else has to do it. That's why Aeolia Schenberg stepped in and enacted his plan regardless of the protests from the rest of humanity. I mean sure humanity's advancement wasn't as stylistic as you'd envision it. But c'mon, beggars can't be choosers. Just be glad that we have peace.

I mean look at it from this view point: At least Aeolia Schenberg wasn't as much of a crazed extremist like Adrian Veidt from Watchmen. The "peace" he created was based on a lie while Aeolia's was armed interventions.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Moving right along, a handful of other things have caught my eye....

Charred Knight wrote:

Nations have a right to defend themselves, if they don't then they will weaken themselves and leave them open to attacks. I mean just look at how weak the ESF is by the end of Gundam 00, I mean they can't defend the Earth from an attack.

Well in the film, we are informed that the ESF has been drawing down its forces since the end of season two. They have fewer mobile suits. But its military strength was still considerable and they improved their hardware during the two-year time skip, as shown by the new GN-X model and the Brave mobile suit. spoiler[The Celestial Being spaceship from season two is outfitted for battle to take on the ELS.] Heck, the Gadelaza was a successful attempt to pack enough firepower for a small army onto one massive machine, a significant sign that they thought to use quality to compensate for quantity. However the ELS outclass us regardless, and it was palpable to me that humans wouldn't have had an advantage in numbers even in the best case scenario. Furthermore, I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that the epilogue shows that we have not abandoned mobile suits (although, how they might have changed is very much up for speculation). Gundam Wing disarmament this is not.

Charred Knight wrote:

GWOtaku's review was basically a softball throw, where he never once challenges Seiji Mizushima for what he was actually trying to accomplish.

Considering that your idea of what the second season & the movie attempt and your opinions about them are pretty much not the same as mine by any stretch of the imagination, I hope you'll understand if I don't worry about this opinion too much. You view is simply very different from mine. My take is an honest point of view; I did not hold back or toss "softballs" to cover up what I thought were debilitating flaws. On the contrary, I described what I considered good and bad points from my perspective and made clear that I ultimately didn't walk away from the movie unfulfilled, so hopefully fans will be interested to buy the movie & check it out & make their own mind up. If I had walked away badly disappointed, I would have said so. Despite some problems I wasn't, so I did not. Trailblazer is neither a flawless film nor the extreme disappointment that its worst critics would suggest--in my opinion, of course.

Charred Knight wrote:
If mankind is to be unified than it's going to be by some brutal and tyrannical rule that suppresses beliefs like freedom. Mankind is a collection of individuals so it's only natural that those individuals do not get along. Do you honestly think China and America would ever unite peacefully? Either America forces their beliefs on to China, or China will force their beliefs on America. Their two separate countries with radically different beliefs.

Quote:

Do you think Ribbons, or Ali could be defeated through a hug?

Do you think that the allies where wrong from defending themselves again the march of the Axis powers?

Quote:

Also peace is created through war [snip]

Not so fast. You single out Mizushima but "a dim view of war", in my words, is something that the entire Gundam franchise has in common. If you think that angle is thin and lame, that's fine, that's your opinion. But it's not something unique to 00. Gundam Unicorn's first episode has idealistic rhetoric coming from Cardeas Vist concerning Laplace's Box that is roughly on par with anything said anywhere else. In Char's Counterattack, Amuro Ray is optimistic that people can eventually change for the better and grow. This is just the tip of the iceberg, given how so much of AU Gundam tends to lean toward the idealism you find so absurd in contrast to the more somber and perhaps cynical (realistic?) tone taken by Universal Century. One distinct difference between the UC and the many AU Gundams, really, is that UC's protagonists are flawed-but-good heroes in spite of the world around them whereas in AU stories the main characters usually end up fighting to actually reach that better tomorrow. Whether the relative optimism that characterizes G, Wing, X, Turn A, Seed and 00 is ultimately an improvement or not is something reasonable people can disagree about. There are significant differences between each of course, but step back and take a look at the big picture--the status quo changes for the better to one degree or another every time, in contrast to how history repeats itself in so many ways during the Universal Century. Just some food for thought, take it or leave it.

As for that "Ribbons and Ali and the Nazis could never have been defeated with a hug!" comment: Of course not, and the series never says otherwise. There's a distinct difference between doing what's necessary and saying that the necessary thing was good. This is a simple concept that really shouldn't be difficult to comprehend. WWII was both a necessary fight and a tragic event in world history that cost many, many lives. Celestial Being does what it does for most of the series acutely aware that they are living contradictions, an idea that is expressed starting with the very first episode by Graham Aker. Cool & Twisted, I think this is something you should consider as well. One could look at Celestial Being's actions in season two and take it as one big crusade to clean up the mess they helped create and reclaim Aeolia's plan from Ribbons' hijacking. On smaller scale, take Setsuna in season two, who goes out of his way to help Saji and eventually snaps Graham out of his "Mr. Bushido" funk. The Gundam Meisters themselves (especially Lockon and Alleujah) would be the last people to put themselves on a pedestal for what they did.

Thanks for coming back, I am sorry if I come off as someone who doesn't respect you, I do, I was just disappointed by your review, and thought it didn't really seem to talk about the flaws I saw in other people's reviews like Nick Hobbs.

The scene where Celestial Being attacks the Enact to me seems to me to come off as basically Celestial Being attack Europe not because of something they did but for something they could do. It's a radical behavior that I frankly don't agree with, I don't think individuals have the right to take justice into their own hands, especially against governments.

As for Celestial Being not being put on a pedestal, in the first season, yes, absolutely you're right, in fact Celestial Being comes off as worse than the super powers, with people like Alejandro Corner, Laguna Harvey, and Wang Liu Mei using Celestial Being for their own agendas. The part where Sumeragi uses Billy shows that even the Celestial Being we know has a dark side. I mean I loved the first season's use of politics, and setting up what was supposed to be arguably the greatest, and smartest Gundam series ever, and redeem Seiji Mizushima in my eyes.

The problem is that these aspects are removed in the second season, the World super powers combine into a world government that creates an organization that is the Titans under a different name, Billy begins to work under the innovators, Sergei becomes a minor character, Soma Pieres's role is severely reduced 1/3 of the way through. and Graham begins to cosplay as Wodan Ymir and his role is so embarrassing that one of the highlights of the movie is "Graham redeems himself", out of the first season's enemies only Katie, and Patrick are not thrown under the bus. Instead of the sympathetic world powers, the main villains are now a bunch of smug asses who spend most of their screen time mocking humans.
The intention is quite clearly to turn the story from a gray vs gray battle of idealism vs pragmatism into a Black vs. White story of an evil government vs the heroic rebels.

As for optimism, I have no problem with it when used correctly like with Mustang in the Fullmetal Alchemist manga/Brotherhood, or Lacus' speeches in Gundam Seed, and Gundam Seed Destiny, my problem is when it is taken to unrealistic levels where it stops being optimism and crosses into the realm of fantasy. War isn't so simple that theirs an easy answer to how to end it. As for Gundam Unicorn I refuse to watch it for two reasons, the first is that they are rehashing the Zeon vs. Federation conflict that should have ended with Char's Counterattack. The second reason is because I don't agree with Harutoshi Fukui, and I don't think Gundam is an appropriate franchise for him considering his past writing.

As for the strength of the ESF, do you honestly think they could actually repel an alien invasion when they can't defeat Celestial Being. Their dependent on Celestial Being much like how Japan is dependent on America. Not exactly a great situation to be in.
Cool & Twisted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The scene where Celestial Being attacks the Enact to me seems to me to come off as basically Celestial Being attack Europe not because of something they did but for something they could do. It's a radical behavior that I frankly don't agree with, I don't think individuals have the right to take justice into their own hands, especially against governments.

You do realize that, that's what the United Nations do...right? Hell,that's what the purpose of Lacus little organization that she and the few remaining members of the Archangel did in the second part of SEED. But rather then your beliefs being made of common sense it's a result of your inability to forgo your pride.

Quote:
As for Celestial Being not being put on a pedestal, in the first season, yes, absolutely you're right, in fact Celestial Being comes off as worse than the super powers, with people like Alejandro Corner, Laguna Harvey, and Wang Liu Mei using Celestial Being for their own agendas.

Alejandro Corner, Laguna Harvey and Wang Liu Mei were CB agents with their own agendas and weren't following the original plan. Had they all three of them had a lust of power then there wouldn't have been the side effects of Graham being distorted by their existence and Saji losing his sister and his girlfriend Louise losing her arm and whole family. CB main crew however were in no way directly responsible for those unfortunate events.

Quote:
The part where Sumeragi uses Billy shows that even the Celestial Being we know has a dark side.

*facepalm*

For gods sakes man! Sumeragi was not working under CB when she was staying with Billy. The reason she was crashing at Billy's house was because she couldn't take it anymore feared that she was making the same mistake she did around the time she was in the AEU.

Sumeragi had a botched a mission and received poor intelligence that had resulted in a friendly fire from both her and Katie Mannekin's parties. This incident not only was one of the worst friendly fires in the 00 verse but also cost the life of her boyfriend Emilio Ribisi. That's the reason why Sumeragi is so hard on herself and only vies for success when coordinating missions for Celestial Being.

Quote:

The problem is that these aspects are removed in the second season, the World super powers combine into a world government that creates an organization that is the Titans under a different name

So what? SEED DESTINY created a copy of Kamille Bidan, Shinn Asuka only he was more of a butt monkey for Mitsuo Fukuda. Only difference being is that he's stomped on by nearly everyone in the series and suffers ridiculously fail character development.

Quote:

, Billy begins to work under the innovators,

Because Sumeragi trampled all over his feelings and wanted comfort. In a since Billy was using them.

Quote:

Sergei becomes a minor character

The hell are you talking about? He made more appearances than any other soldier working for the Earth Sphere Federation (aside Patrick Kati).

Quote:

, Soma Pieres's role is severely reduced 1/3 of the way through.

Geez, I can't believe GwOtaku is even acknowledging you when it's quite clear YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!

Quote:

and Graham begins to cosplay as Wodan Ymir

He's parodying the char clones

Quote:
out of the first season's enemies only Katie, and Patrick are not thrown under the bus.

Quote:

Instead of the sympathetic world powers, the main villains are now a bunch of smug asses who spend most of their screen time mocking humans.

Funny, that's what Rau spends most of his screentime doing. - _-

Quote:
The intention is quite clearly to turn the story from a gray vs gray battle of idealism vs pragmatism into a Black vs. White story of an evil government vs the heroic rebels.

The Federation wasn't evil it was it's private army the A-laws that were. Everyone in the federation were regarded with much respect.

Quote:

As for optimism, I have no problem with it when used correctly like with Mustang in the Fullmetal Alchemist manga/Brotherhood

In Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood/manga Mustang barely seems like anyone. Not to mention that most of the characters personalities actually go to "unrealistic levels".

Quote:
or Lacus' speeches in Gundam Seed

That was the funny part of SEED to me. To grow a bigger brain Lacus had to go into SEED mode and try to arouse the crowd with one of her speeches yet everyone keeps on fighting. Razz

Quote:
War isn't so simple that theirs an easy answer to how to end it.

Now explain to me how the what part of what Celestial Being is doing is considered EASY? As I've been saying before but you've been closing your ears singing "La la la la la" that Aeolia Schenberg's plan spanned longer then the time that transpired between season one and two.

Quote:

As for the strength of the ESF, do you honestly think they could actually repel an alien invasion when they can't defeat Celestial Being.

It's worth trying, part of being human is fighting to the bitter end. Regardless of whether CB did it's interventions they still wouldn't have been able to combat the alien force. It's like humanity in Dragon Ball Z believing that Mr. Satan/Hercule was their last hope rather then Goku.

Quote:

Their dependent on Celestial Being much like how Japan is dependent on America. Not exactly a great situation to be in.

Ummm...Yeah no. Even during the movie when CB and the federation were working together the aliens still held the advantage. If anyone was to be depended on it was Setsuna.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Cool & Twisted wrote:

You do realize that, that's what the United Nations do...right? Hell,that's what the purpose of Lacus little organization that she and the few remaining members of the Archangel did in the second part of SEED. But rather then your beliefs being made of common sense it's a result of your inability to forgo your pride.

Alejandro Corner, Laguna Harvey and Wang Liu Mei were CB agents with their own agendas and weren't following the original plan. Had they all three of them had a lust of power then there wouldn't have been the side effects of Graham being distorted by their existence and Saji losing his sister and his girlfriend Louise losing her arm and whole family. CB main crew however were in no way directly responsible for those unfortunate events.

*facepalm*

For gods sakes man! Sumeragi was not working under CB when she was staying with Billy. The reason she was crashing at Billy's house was because she couldn't take it anymore feared that she was making the same mistake she did around the time she was in the AEU.

Sumeragi had a botched a mission and received poor intelligence that had resulted in a friendly fire from both her and Katie Mannekin's parties. This incident not only was one of the worst friendly fires in the 00 verse but also cost the life of her boyfriend Emilio Ribisi. That's the reason why Sumeragi is so hard on herself and only vies for success when coordinating missions for Celestial Being.

So what? SEED DESTINY created a copy of Kamille Bidan, Shinn Asuka only he was more of a butt monkey for Mitsuo Fukuda. Only difference being is that he's stomped on by nearly everyone in the series and suffers ridiculously fail character development.

Because Sumeragi trampled all over his feelings and wanted comfort. In a since Billy was using them.

The hell are you talking about? He made more appearances than any other soldier working for the Earth Sphere Federation (aside Patrick Kati).

Geez, I can't believe GwOtaku is even acknowledging you when it's quite clear YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!

He's parodying the char clones

Funny, that's what Rau spends most of his screentime doing. - _-

The Federation wasn't evil it was it's private army the A-laws that were. Everyone in the federation were regarded with much respect.

In Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood/manga Mustang barely seems like anyone. Not to mention that most of the characters personalities actually go to "unrealistic levels".

That was the funny part of SEED to me. To grow a bigger brain Lacus had to go into SEED mode and try to arouse the crowd with one of her speeches yet everyone keeps on fighting. Razz

Now explain to me how the what part of what Celestial Being is doing is considered EASY? As I've been saying before but you've been closing your ears singing "La la la la la" that Aeolia Schenberg's plan spanned longer then the time that transpired between season one and two.

It's worth trying, part of being human is fighting to the bitter end. Regardless of whether CB did it's interventions they still wouldn't have been able to combat the alien force. It's like humanity in Dragon Ball Z believing that Mr. Satan/Hercule was their last hope rather then Goku.

Ummm...Yeah no. Even during the movie when CB and the federation were working together the aliens still held the advantage. If anyone was to be depended on it was Setsuna.

Lacus did not start the Second Bloody Valentine War, Gilbert Durandal, and Logos where the ones who started it. Celestial Being started the war when they attacked the Enact and then basically declare war on the the world super powers. I don't agree that you should attack people who don't agree with you.

While the Celestial Being crew we see for most of the series is not responsible for the problems the agents caused, the agents are part of the plan and they are abusing it. You just can't claim that Celestial Being is just one ship and her people. The agents while not a public face of Celestial Being is still part of Celestial Being.

I was talking about how Sumeragi used Billy when she got the data from him, and didn't refuse it. She didn't mysteriously quit during the middle of the first season. Not when she stayed with him during the break which certainly was really cold by her also. I have no idea why your brining up why Sumeragi was a member of Celestial Being.

The problem isn't that 00 copied Zeta Gundam, every AU Gundam series except for G Gundam copies previous Gundam series. Hell Gundam Seed was a remake of MSG. The problem is that the ESF created an evil army that it refuses to control.

So since Sumeragi was an ass towards him, Billy was right to join the Innovators out of jealousy? If some girl uses you, you're not going to join the Neo Nazis or some terrorist organization are you?

In the second season several other members of the Earth Federation got a lot more screen time than Sergei. He appears early, get some screen time with Soma Pieres than re-appears to spoiler[die]

Ok so Mr. Bushido was supposed to be a parody of Char Clones, his not funny, nor is he competent. To see a really good parody of a certain char clone play the game Super Robot Wars OG2.

Rau spends most of his time spoiler[manipulating the Natural and the coordinators to kill each other.]. He doesn't start ranting until the end of the series.

A-Laws are an official part of the Earth Sphere Federation, and the Federation are responsible for the actions of the A-Laws. You just can't sweep the atrocities of the A-Laws under the rug.

How was a small group of people defeating the world's armies relatively easily (a couple Celestial Being members die but that's it), then the Earth uniting with limited complaints(NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN), then the small group returns and once again defeat the world's armies relatively easily with minimal casualties, and then the world is at peace. How was that hard? A massive complaint against Gundam Seed Destiny and to a less degree Gundam Seed was the fact that the battles where one sided affairs in which the heroes defeated the enemies without a scratch. Gundam 00 was barely better than the C.E series on that account. Most of the battles especially in the second season became predictable with the various gundams battling than winning when they go Trans-Am.

It would be a whole lot easier to fight off aliens if the people actually had confidence in their government instead of relying on an army not affiliated with the government.

You do know that Setsuna is a member of Celestial Being right? The fact that they rely upon Setsuna the most has to do with the fact that Seiji Mizushima tends to concentrate on one character, compare how much Ed accomplishes by himself in the first anime to the original manga which is more of an ensemble piece.
Cool & Twisted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lacus did not start the Second Bloody Valentine War, Gilbert Durandal, and Logos where the ones who started it. Celestial Being started the war when they attacked the Enact and then basically declare war on the the world super powers. I don't agree that you should attack people who don't agree with you.

You make it sound like Celetial Being went around terrorizing innocent people. They didn't they only attacked groups that were about to start wars with another nation/country.

Quote:
While the Celestial Being crew we see for most of the series is not responsible for the problems the agents caused, the agents are part of the plan and they are abusing it.

Any chance they failed yes? Their plans? No, they weren't. Wang wanted to become an innovator because she couldn't handle being a mere human. Alejandro Corner was a mad man with a god complex.

Quote:
You just can't claim that Celestial Being is just one ship and her people.

There are more than one parties, not all just one. One is more dedicated to the cause the other... not-so much.

Quote:
The agents while not a public face of Celestial Being is still part of Celestial Being.

The Trinities were no longer apart of the plan after it was clear their armed interventions were indiscriminately violent. They attacked civilians, a factory comprised of them, and a military training facility.

Quote:
I was talking about how Sumeragi used Billy when she got the data from him, and didn't refuse it.

He wanted to be helpful in anyway possible and she accepted it. She didn't know he had feelings for her (especially since he was so damn quiet about it after she left).

Quote:
She didn't mysteriously quit during the middle of the first season.

Okay, now I KNOW you're pulling this shit from out your ass. It's clear she didn't especially since she was surprised and saddened by how Setsuna popped up to Billy's place and exposed her code name. Just by looking at her face you can tell she didn't want to come back.

Quote:

Not when she stayed with him during the break which certainly was really cold by her also.

You don't know what you're talking about. Stop talking about it.

Quote:

The problem isn't that 00 copied Zeta Gundam, every AU Gundam series except for G Gundam copies previous Gundam series. Hell Gundam Seed was a remake of MSG.

EDIT:

Which is precisely why it ISN'T a "masterpiece" as you so proclaim.

Quote:
The problem is that the ESF created an evil army that it refuses to control.

Not really, the ESF weren't aware of what they were doing because all of their deeds were covered up by the Innovators. Katie Mannikin was the only sane person and able to relay this information to the top brass and have them criminally charged.

Quote:
So since Sumeragi was an ass towards him, Billy was right to join the Innovators out of jealousy?

No, he wasn't it was pathetic that he allowed himself to be so emotionally crushed by "some girl" not acknowledging his feelings. Seriously, the world is a huge vast place and he shouldn't be brought down by one woman. All it did was prove that he's a weakling. Carrying those type of emotions and bottling them up for a long period of time is not healthy for a person no matter how you look at it.

Quote:
If some girl uses you, you're not going to join the Neo Nazis or some terrorist organization are you?

Okay, get this through you're head it's FICTION. Meaning it's not real. The setting of the stories uses real-life political themes, but it's not real. Get that through your head.

So in short: No, I wouldn't because it's pathetic to be stuck on one person for much of your life.

Quote:
In the second season several other members of the Earth Federation got a lot more screen time than Sergei. He appears early, get some screen time with Soma Pieres than re-appears to spoiler[die]

Not really...Sergei was also seen scouting the outskirts of Azadistan. Sergei also played an active role in the EPIC moment for all sides of conflict when shooting pieces of the collapsing Orbital elevator. Seriously, what show were you watching?

Quote:
Ok so Mr. Bushido was supposed to be a parody of Char Clones, his not funny, nor is he competent. To see a really good parody of a certain char clone play the game Super Robot Wars OG2.

*sighs*

Quote:
Rau spends most of his time spoiler[manipulating the Natural and the coordinators to kill each other.]. He doesn't start ranting until the end of the series.

I don't see why you have that covered in spoiler tags since we all know what he was doing. Not to mention that he dies. SEED Char clones were awful. Rather then serve as a rival to the main character pilot they were just taking up space speaking nonsense. Oh and btw Rau didn't manipulate the Earth Alliance he just ordered his soldiers to attack the crew of the Archangel which was on stand-by.

The only thing this proved is that he has lucky timing that the Earth Alliance were choosing to be backstabbing bastards when they were. Also his intentions were made clear in episode 20 when he was mumbling to himself like a mad man.

Not to mention Mwu was a bad Char clone as well. Fukuda being the ballless chump he is just had to bring him back because of all the outrage from the fans. And what happens? He's written to look like an amnesiac war hungry copycat of Rau. He looks like a clown.

Quote:
A-Laws are an official part of the Earth Sphere Federation, and the Federation are responsible for the actions of the A-Laws.

What the hell kind of fruitless logic is that? Of course you can the Federation did it when they cut ties with the Titans in Zeta Gundam. They were a force working under their own authorization.

Quote:

How was a small group of people defeating the world's armies relatively easily (a couple Celestial Being members die but that's it)

The Gundams were more advanced and their machine had a superior power fuel. The Mobile suits didn't(WHY DON'T YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THIS!?). It's a fact that's made blatantly clear in nearly Gundam series that they have higher specs than the average machine. I'm sure this upsets you since SEED choose to have their Gundams like Strike, Aegis unable to hover without equipment to adapt to realism but it don't work jack.

Quote:
, then the Earth uniting with limited complaints(NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN), then the small group returns and once again defeat the world's armies relatively easily with minimal casualties, and then the world is at peace.

Believe it or not, not everyone holds grudges like you do bub. It's called pardons. And considering how they saved their keesters at the end of the series I don't see why they shouldn't be forgiven. All of the rage and hatred during S2 showed what holding grudges would do.

Quote:
How was that hard? A massive complaint against Gundam Seed Destiny and to a less degree Gundam Seed was the fact that the battles where one sided affairs in which the heroes defeated the enemies without a scratch.

It makes plenty of sense to be as angry at the logic of Gundam SEED. It made absolutely no sense in explaining the crap in it. Mwu's death was given poor explanation and same with everyone else that escaped it.

Quote:
Gundam 00 was barely better than the C.E series on that account. Most of the battles especially in the second season became predictable

So you foresaw Setsuna using Gundam Exia in the conclusion to 00 S2? For some reason I have a hard time believing that.

Quote:

with the various gundams battling than winning when they go Trans-Am.

And then Graham A.K.A. Mister Bushido did it and yet he got nowhere in his fight against Setsuna. So much for TRANS-AM being A-KO (Automatic Knock out). Even then it still has it's flaws, it significantly decreases the number of GN particles in the Gundam. If used too much then the Gundam ceases function. That's why it isn't wildly spammed in battle like Kira beam spams in Freedom Gundam.

Quote:
It would be a whole lot easier to fight off aliens if the people actually had confidence in their government instead of relying on an army not affiliated with the government.

The government wouldn't have had a chance against the aliens. Even their innovator Sherman Descartes was helpless against them. The dude was mind raped repeatedly (in the same fashion as Setsuna) and then assimilated. As said before Aeolia did all the calculations and had the world resources to creating mobile suits to go to battle.

The superpowers of the world were only able to gain an upperhand thanks to Alejandro managing to partially recreate the GN drives and give it to them. That's the only goddamn reason they stood a chance. Other then that no they were pretty much screwed.
However, since you're so pro anti-CB I'll say this much some forces did surpass their peak and do what only Gundams could. For instance, GAR Graham was able to own Johann Trinity in combat using a Flag.

Quote:

You do know that Setsuna is a member of Celestial Being right? The fact that they rely upon Setsuna the most has to do with the fact that Seiji Mizushima tends to concentrate on one character

And you do realize that Mitsuo Fukuda cut Shinn Asukua's character development in half to spend time ravishing Kira. Yeah, that's real smart. Can't let go of his preciousss like Masashi Kishimoto can't stop dickriding Sasuke for a minute to focus on Naruto. And even when he does it's sloppy work. Kira was one of the most over-powered characters in the series that it's ridiculous. It's like dialogue was traded in favor of mecha battles.

All the characters received equal attention you're just being curmudgeon.

Quote:

, compare how much Ed accomplishes by himself in the first anime to the original manga which is more of an ensemble piece.

Okay, now you're sidetracking again. This is about GUNDAM not FMA. So what now that you can't win the argument you're focusing on another piece of work Mizushima has done that received less then favorable reviews? Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood triumphed in battles I won't lie but dialogue the first anime wins. Romance Brotherhood/manga wins.

When it comes to animation it's a tie. When it comes to music openings first anime wins. When it comes to the key factor brother love the first anime wins. Huh, look at that 3-2 first anime wins.

If you want to mock any work it's Shaman King that's the only thing I'll agree with you on. Hell, anyone on.

Honestly, though I don't care that's not why I'm debating with you. You're a hardcore SEED fan I understand but don't draw things up from the spot; that's no way to have a debate.

Last edited by Cool & Twisted on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
and constantly insulting people for their different opinions is how to win a debate? Not once have I insulted you because frankly I now know that's not how you talk to a human being. Yeah I like Gundam Seed, and you like Gundam 00, that means we are different people. Just because people have different opinions doesn't mean you need to confront them with hostilities.
Cool & Twisted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
and constantly insulting people for their different opinions is how to win a debate?

I'm not insulting you I'm stating your status. When someone has a ridiculously strong biased view that's what they're deemed. If you don't like it then back up your argument with a neutral position.

Quote:

Not once have I insulted you because frankly I now know that's not how you talk to a human being.

lol lol lol

Then how about you do your home work that way I won't feel that you're as hostile. Shoot, I've been patient as hell with you during the duration of this debate.

Quote:
Just because people have different opinions doesn't mean you need to confront them with hostilities.

I'm not pissed at you because of your different opinions it's your ignorance that really irritates me. It's pitiful and shows that you're unwilling to listen to anyone else's reasoning but your own.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Cool & Twisted wrote:
Quote:

Don't want to quote the entire page lol Smile

Agreed.

Naturally idol-singer Lacus' righteous little combat organization (I liked her aside from her convenient romance not to mention suit-giving with Kira, but man what a jump) that was by far even more idealistic in message is left out, at least CB acknowledges repeatedly that they are not "good guys" for even their way more moderate interventions and even in S2 they do not as their only goal is to take on the subversive elements of their own betrayers to atone for letting them subvert the plan and misuse CBs power to take direct control of the Earth, also he's oversimplifying the Federation by leaving out that eventually there's essentially a civil war within the Regular Federation over the A-Laws as more and more real Federation soldiers learn the truth. While the higher ups in the government and Federation who went along with Homer Katagiri are indeed guilty for allowing the atrocities of the A-Laws and giving them their power and like a lot of people turning a blind eye towards what's being done that furthers their goal, quickly over time the Federation also had numerous soldiers that started actively working against the A-Laws and their supporters within the government as they found out the truth, like Sergei and Hercury and Kati who brings along a whole faction of the Federation once she saw the elevator collapse incident and what A-Laws was really like as such info was being manipulated by the A-Laws through Ribbons' control of Veda.

And also to me it's a bit ironic that he's contradicting himself over stuff like Billy when the part of Billy that he's complaining about is only part of his story and the part he's complaining about is basically IMO "pretty much every single Seed characters' story arc," which is a good arc of a human flaw in moderation but instead practically every single character arc in Seed to me is basically this kind of arc a romantic angst machine or conveniently placed romance or romantic betrayal which as their pairings play out doubles for most of their characters' entire character development arc since it's almost entirely reliant on the current state of their current romance, to me 00 is so much more varied in it's variety of character relationships beyond couplings, aside from maybe Kira and Athrun and maybe Andy and Lacus late I can barely even think of any huge "friend" relationships in the Seed verse it was mostly teen-style over-drama "love, hate or nothing/barely nothing." And that Sumeragi/Billy complaint doesn't really make sense, how was Sumeragi using Billy for Celestial Being when she was staying with him in between the seasons after she quit CB, she certainly didn't go to Billy to spy on him or anything like that undercover for actual CB purposes, and she was not going to come back which she made quite clear and the only reason she did at first was that she did not have a choice since Setsuna purposefully blew her secret that she had been part of CB, had she not come back and Billy lived who she'd obviously never kill like that she would have been imprisoned.

I agree Charred Knight, in fact I'd imagine most of us Gundam fans like a good number of the Gundam shows, though I do have to say that in my opinion I do think some of your complaints are not things the show actually ever says (like you start complaining that 00 says that war is over forever which 00 never says anywhere outside of it ending in a time of relative peace after the movie like most Gundam series before they get a sequel, but then you complain because 00 says that all war can easily be solved through talking or thinking globally which 00 does not as numerous conflicts were not able to be resolved in such a way such as Ribbons and Ali and even Graham in S2 took a battle just because one particular war of misunderstanding is halted this way while neither the S1 conflict with the UN or Alejandro or the S2 conflict with A-Laws and Ribbons are resolved without fighting, but then say that well if it's not 100% effective all the time it's a worthless message even if it may help at least some of the time or at least help them from escalating from getting even more personal and more vicious rather than wars of relative necessity or saying well war should never be over since that's realistic which is hardly in contention in 00 as 00 absolutely doesn't say anywhere that war is over for good yet while then since those points have been defeated going on to say that, well in that case, CB is pointless if war isn't over for good (lol) because they didn't achieve 100% of their original mission which is kinda ridiculous as neither did your beloved Seed characters who were even more idealized on believing they were always in the right and only succeeded partially and temporarily too and if you were watching CB endured several betrayals that jeopardized the plan even despite Aeolia's excellent precautions so of course the plan and results would not be executed perfectly, how does that make 00 itself a lesser show just because things didn't go 100% according to one groups' plan and Setsuna and co had to work to get the plan as close to successful as possible, wouldn't that be a boring show if everything went 100% according to plan from beginning to end with no stumbling blocks) and some of them are strange as a few of your complaints are things that are, to me and Cool & Twisted, things that are present in the Seed verse (or some that are intrinsic to all Gundam) to an even more prominent extent and yet are somehow more acceptable to you even though they are even more extreme or idealized in Seed than in 00.

And those agents were NOT supposed to get directly involved hence why Celestial Being fail-safe's activated each time those guys f-ed things up, outside of passing information to Veda, they were not intended to be an "active part of the plan" they were intended as friendly resources and "observers" who were supposed to also prevent someone like Alejandro from doing what he did, which he would not have pulled off on the other observers without the Thrones and Ribbons' knowledge to take over Veda.

And while CB is not just that one ship and her people, outside of Ribbons and his Innovators and Wang playing both sides, the entirety of the real CB organization Aeolia founded was with Ptolemy so I'm not sure what you're saying, even with Ribbons taking their mothership all of Celestial Being's other resources with actual CB personnel like the asteroid base and all of their mecha development were still with Ptolemy and at Ptolemy's full disposal with a new Ptolemy, new Gundams, new tech, twin drive and support unit research, and full support during their war with A-Laws/Ribbons. Ribbons and his Innovators (and Alejandro) were no longer part of "CB-official/proper" when he subverted the plan as Aeolia renounces him and Alejandro unlocking the Trans-Am system for the Ptolemy and the Meisters as Aeolia specifically points out in his fail-safe transmission to the real CB after Alejandro kills him in the cryo chamber.

Oh and in case you've forgotten the attack on that one lone Enact also forced a physical draw out of illegally placed military forces from that government in the orbital elevator itself that CB knew about beforehand for ALL to see that they then had to grovel and explain to the other two powers, all in preparation for potential war with the other two super powers like today just as said in the opening of every early episode for all three powers, not to mention that wars and terrorism, even if they weren't big world-wars, were taking place in various countries throughout the world when they started as well.

Cool & Twisted wrote:
Quote:
You do know that Setsuna is a member of Celestial Being right? The fact that they rely upon Setsuna the most has to do with the fact that Seiji Mizushima tends to concentrate on one character

And you do realize that Mitsuo Fukuda cut Shinn Asukua's character development in half to spend time ravishing Kira. Yeah, that's real smart. Can't let go of his preciousss like Masashi Kishimoto can't stop dickriding Sasuke for a minute to focus on Naruto. And even when he does it's sloppy work. Kira was one of the most over-powered characters in the series that it's ridiculous. It's like dialogue was traded in favor of mecha battles.

All the characters received equal attention you're just being curmudgeon.

Just to keep it Gundam-centric, thank you for that Shinn/Kira Fukuda rant, I know I ranted to myself while watching Destiny when supposed and advertised new main lead character Shinn got shafted in what they would have had to do to develop him up to being an interesting real main lead all just to bring back Kira. And while Setsuna like most Gundam protagonists gets the focus in the end to take on the main antagonist, just to preempt any Setsuna equally over-powered junk his personal combat abilities haven't been shown to have been bumped that far beyond his toughest opponents as demonstrated most recently in his battle with Ribbons where even with 00 and it's support machine maxed out their battle is a draw and for the final battle he even had to win on relatively equal terms with a downgraded single GN drive suit just like Ribbons where he wasn't shown to have any particularly special Innovator better than Innovade combat abilities and for the majority of S2 when he takes on regular soldiers and even his early battles with the Innovators it still takes him time to fight various forces and they make him work and dodge their fire costing him time and parts of even his best S2 suit gets routinely wrecked by tough opponents and or gives out throughout the season like Innovator suit weapons cutting straight through his blade outclassing 00's tech etc., and trans-am still being just as much of a double-edged sword that leaves you vulnerable for his suit as any other after he uses it or the trans-am burst later, and of course can't beam spam an entire army (let alone a moving army, with such minute precision so as to not kill anyone if he doesn't want to even) practically without moving.
Cool & Twisted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
@ Danger Mouse

I was re-watching the series a couple days ago and in S2 Tieria who fused with VEDA said that Aeolia acknowledged his plan in season one was hypocritical. The plan wasn't for them to eliminate it all (which was what the Ptolemy crew thought at first) but to bring the world together, and it worked. You can't complain if the plan succeeded. [Avoid personally insulting other users. Believe it or not you can make a point without attacking the opposing side of the argument.]

SEED ripped every concept of MSG and only shifted to an original, albeit hilarious plot. All of which carried heavy examples of wangst and primitive ideas for victory against opponents. Kira's idea of facing Rau? Beam spam. Rau's way of fighting Kira? Beam spam. The battle? BEAM SPAM WAR!!! Laughing

Yes, truly clever Fukuda. TRULY TRULY clever.

Everyone let us bow before the creator of the series of magnificence that has: sluggish mechs, a crazy smart bastard, plot holes (*cough* *cough* psychopath with zero creativity *cough*) and enough bishis and babes to make fangirls and fanboys cry in joy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
Cool & Twisted, please. It's one thing to go off-topic (something virtually everyone in this thread was guilty of, including me), but you could at least be civilised about it.
Cool & Twisted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:22 am Reply with quote
Here's my post from the Gundam 00 forum that also breaks down 00 perfectly:

Quote:
Jesus Christ CK even on here you make zero sense. The world in 00 is unbelievably and indefinitely stupid. Yes, you can respect that they're building weapons, but the fact they're using it to war with one another so far into the future when by the 2030's they should be able to understand one another. It's so stupid to the point it's just plain sad. Hell, by this times aliens could emerge at any time and they're at each others throats.

Celestial Being's interventions brought the world together because they had a common enemy: Celestial Being. Kinue Crossroad uncovered it and she was right: It wasn't just to end the war it was to bring people together. And it did, the war was at peace for 4 whole years until the in-fighting between both companies began. Not just the war because of the atrocious behaviors of the A-laws but the shadow organization covering up their actions and further distorting the world: the Innovators.

By acknowledging their faults both the Celestial Being and the rest of the world have a better understanding one another. That they're both flawed human being with innumerable mistakes made. For Celestial Being it was driving Graham insane and Louise losing her entire family and Saji's sister dying due to trying to investigate Celestial Being. For the world it was the A-law the independent military employed by the Earth Sphere federation.

And you know what? Both groups confronted and solved their problems. Kati Mannekin working under the orders of the federation got them to point their guns at the ones responsible for the discourse caused in the world and responsible for groups that opposed the Earth Sphere Federation like Katharon and the mistreatment of the middle east. Celestial Being, namely Setsuna confronted and helped people like Saji face their problems and bring Louise back to her old self and understand CB's trying to atone as well as they're sincerity. And lastly there was Graham they cured his insanity caused by his lust for fighting the Gundams. Not only did it work too but helped him realize he didn't have to dedicate his entire life to defeating them but live for the future.

And at the end of the TV series what do we find out? That this was all in Aeolia's calculations.

Had the world been this way before Celestial Being intervened everyone would be dead and the world would annihilate itself. The Middle East would eventually bare arms against the rest world but the 3 superpowers would destroy each other. The Middle East was persecuted in the same way it is today and received zero help from the rest of the world. Hell, Katharon would've formed back then season one as well had this carried on.

Also is a malignant, aristocratic, charming marvelous character. He represents the pure idea of extreme vicious contempt for the world and a more violent interventions that Celestial Being performed in season one. Not just them but akin to the Trinity's style but a billion times harsher. He's a far more educated and a more total bad-ass then Gilbert and Rau from *cough* gawdy awful *cough* *cough* SEED.
Cool & Twisted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Cool & Twisted, please. It's one thing to go off-topic (something virtually everyone in this thread was guilty of, including me), but you could at least be civilised about it.

I'm trying but dear god it is hard. Mad Especially, when CK's hardheadedness is aggravating the crap out of me with his real life references to a FICTIONAL cartoon. It's America this, WW II that.

I'm surprised I didn't have an aneurysm going through his post.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Cool & Twisted wrote:
I'm surprised I didn't have an aneurysm going through his post.

If reading his posts makes you that angry, then just avoid the topic. It's not worth the stress, you know? If you don't have your health then you don't have anything.

I guess the moral of the thread is that the Gundam fandom is still as hotly fractured as ever.

Anyway, I will watch this movie, when ever it comes out. But I will go in with low expectations. That way, whether it is good or bad I don't really lose anything except - potentially - two or so hours of my time. Geez, I'm sounding like an old man . . .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16