• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Collect 'Em All

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Are you reading Luffy? I STILL DON'T HAVE YUKIKAZE!!!?!?!!!!! Sad

Dude...I had an extra copy I got for free chillin' in my closet for over a year. Brand new, unopened. How the hell did I not sell it to you? Sorry man, epic fail on my part :/
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Well, thanks to this article I became resolved to buy a copy of Night on the Galactic Railroad that I knew was languishing in a Half-Price Books and picked it up Monday. $7 seemed a good price, even though the outside case was damaged and had a small tear. The movie definitely need a remastering job though, the majority of the picture is set in night or low-lit scenes but even with that it's a darker picture, it could definitely do with some better definition, even the credits are blurry.

Wow. I am officially jealous, well done!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...... something I just remembered I've had since it came out: Laughing

Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Oh, and for people interested in buying Urusei Yatsura.......don't!

Currently, I've got a roundabout figure for the TV series, OVA and movies would be around 600 dollars. That includes everything EXCEPT Volumes 26, 27,43 and 44. Those four discs ONLY exist in ONE site. Which would be RACS. HOWEVER, they only exist as parts of a set of 10 DVDs, which go for the princely sum of 500 dollars a set. EACH!!!!!!

I might just buy the complete set for 850 bucks, minus Movie 2. Which I could get for hopefully less than 50. So 900 for the entire, complete set.

I am so screwed.

now why would you want to discourage a collector??????
trying to complete a set for a reasonable amount of money, is part of the fun,

I have most of maison ikkoku,, but of course I need volume 8, and I believe on more, and if I am patient enough, I will find one sooner of later, for a price I am willing to pay.

and as for UY, I was lucky enough to buy it last november from animeigo, for the copplete price of 475.00, and that included eveything, except movie 2, with last year rightstuf still had a couple copies in stock for real cheap, so I bough it, I even have a small DVD shelf rack that holds only that show, just because of how dig it is,

I have been thinking of buying some 10 disc case holders, and having some custom slip cases made, just to conserve shelf space, but I will keep the original cases in a box, just in case I ever have to sell them, but I hope that never happens
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

Isn't that X box simply amazing? By the way, does your 7th dvd have a slipcover?
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
DifferentD wrote:
I have really enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing what other people have been looking for as well as hearing about the rare items you have all been able to collect. ^^ I'm pretty new to collecting anime (only been collecting for about a year) and there are already things that I had no idea were going about of print that I wish I'd been able to buy.

There are plenty of series that I wish I could get that I either can't find or can't afford at this point such as... Hellsing Ultimate, Sailor Moon, You're Under Arrest.. and the list goes on ^^;

But I will say I'm proud of the few "rare" series that my fiance and I do have..

Karin, Please Teacher, Ergo Proxy (was very excited to find this for $30), Hand Maid May (w/ box and figure), Negima! complete (which I didn't think was rare but have seen the price going up for some reason) all 10 vols of GTO (which if it's not rare yet I'm sure it will be soon enough), Fate Stay Night (vols + art box w/ limited edition clock), When They Cry (grabbed the last one that Amazon was selling) and the complete xxxholic w/ art box (I realize the series may not be rare but the box sure is pricey)

Also for manga we've recently completed collecting the original Viz Graphic Novel versions of Battle Angel Alita and we have vol 3 of Shakugan No Shana (got it for $2 but apparently it's going for about $50 now)

Now I just wish I could find Strawberry 100% vol 4... not to mention various volumes of GTO and Gakuen Alice manga that I'm getting more and more concerned I won't be able to collect.

In Liverpool, there's a comic shop called "Worlds Apart" which is famous for its huge-ass manga section and they have a lot of the older titles including Strawberry 100% and Boys Be amongst others...

In my case, I'll be buying a lot of cheap manga through RightStuf for my main Xmas present to myself as well as well as selling some duplicates that I have and trying to complete stuff like Stray Little Devil, Imperfect Hero, Junk Force and Strawberry Marshmallow. (Thank God for MCM Expo in London and the stalls that sell cheap manga like 5 for £10 or in the case of Viz Media; 5 of their latest titles for £20 (or £4.00 per volume)
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
My personal "dumb luck" story is buying all 12 volumes (in 2 artboxes) of Aura Battler Dunbine in a local used DVD store for $32 total a couple years ago.* At the time I had no clue as to the rarity of certain volumes; I'd actually just noticed the relatively low price (for a shop which often has used boxsets at greater-than RightStuf/Amazon prices) and having vaguely heard of ABD somewhere along the way, I wondered aloud in the forums if it was worth a blind buy. Another forumer basically said something to the effect of, "Yeah, uh, you really should buy that." So there you have it.

[*I'm almost positive that what happened is someone brought in the filled boxsets but when the employees went to price it, they scanned the UPC on the boxset which would be for v01 + artbox; so the entire set was assigned the v01 used price in whatever database they use to price items. I've also heard about this happening to some lucky folks who buy from used DVD websites-- they order what they think is v01 of a series and end up with the whole thing.]

My personally coveted rare item at the moment though? It's got to be DVD 4 of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVAs. All the other volumes, along with the artbox, was had for cheap courtesy of RightStuf but that volume 4 disc is a glaring hole in my JBA collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
That thin Nanoha box set is rare!? I got that for just $17.00 last Christmas! Oh well, it's the only rare thing I own. Hopefully my Eureka Seven singles will be worth more in the coming years.

Well, I should say that's the only rare DVD I own. With manga the only rare books I own (that I know of) are Viz's release of Saint Seiya volumes 10 and 16. I had to pay a pretty penny for the both of 'em, but they're already worth more than when I bought 'em a few months ago.

I suppose the things I'm always after are Macross and Aura Battler Dunbine. At least getting Macross is feasible.

And on the subject of rare releases, did the Mysterious Cities of Gold box set come with the Japanese dub with English subtitles?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

Isn't that X box simply amazing? By the way, does your 7th dvd have a slipcover?

It is! I love CLAMP and only want the best from them. If they put more of their titles out on Blu-ray, and they get brought over here, I'd scoop them up in an instant. I pray that someone will license Blood-C.

And all 8 DVDs have the black Limited Edition slip covers. Very Happy

GVman wrote:
That thin Nanoha box set is rare!?

There is one copy on eBay going for about $80 and a few on Amazon going between $70 and $150. Nanoha A's is even rarer then the first season. I am having a hell of a time trying to get a copy that doesn't cost $250. T-T
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
There is one copy on eBay going for about $80 and a few on Amazon going between $70 and $150. Nanoha A's is even rarer then the first season. I am having a hell of a time trying to get a copy that doesn't cost $250. T-T

Haha, you said it. I pretty much just came to the conclusion I wasn't going to get the series...

...That is until some guy on the Fandom Post forums started going through his 6 or 7 footlockers of anime and posting them online to sell. He was quite the collector. I ended up getting first dibs on many things, including:
  • The entire series of Rurouni Kenshin for $80
  • Mushi-shi LE box release with all 6 DVDs for $30
  • Princess Nine for $40
  • Gurren Lagann for $20 (Sets 1-3)
  • Nanoha and Nanoha A's for $30 each
  • Crest of the Stars for $20

I haven't actually paid for Nanoha/A and Crest of the Stars yet, he has them on hold for me.

He'd update his list every few days he got the chance to open another locker. I was actually online the time he posted the list with Key the Metal Idol and considered purchasing it but ended up backing down due to the amount I already spent. I figured if I was meant to get the series I'd see it online again in the future.

His list is still up if anyone wants to make a request. Pretty much a majority, if not all, of the rare items have been picked up, but he's still got a great selection. He's trying to raise money to help pay for his daughter's wedding, so it's for a good cause.

Here it is: http://www.fandompost.com/forums/showthread.php?2092-Sale-Items-From-Rev.-Doc

And would you believe it, Nanoha and Nanoha A's were on that list for at least an entire week before I requested it from him. No one else on the forum was apparently interested in it or already had it.

Um... as for other rare/OOP things I have:
  • The Story of Saiunkoku
  • Higurashi: When They Cry (Viridian release)
  • Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight - say what you will about it, but I prefer Spark to Parn even though the OVA is better for the most part (plus the chibi episodes are awesome!)
  • Black Lagoon seasons 1 & 2 set
  • Please Save My Earth manga (entire series)
  • Monster manga (entire series)
  • Emma manga (entire series)
  • Basara manga (entire series except vol 2, 26, 27... so I'm almost done)
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

Haha, you said it. I pretty much just came to the conclusion I wasn't going to get the series...

...That is until some guy on the Fandom Post forums started going through his 6 or 7 footlockers of anime and posting them online to sell. He was quite the collector. I ended up getting first dibs on many things, including:
  • The entire series of Rurouni Kenshin for $80
  • Mushi-shi LE box release with all 6 DVDs for $30
  • Princess Nine for $40
  • Gurren Lagann for $20 (Sets 1-3)
  • Nanoha and Nanoha A's for $30 each
  • Crest of the Stars for $20

I haven't actually paid for Nanoha/A and Crest of the Stars yet, he has them on hold for me.

He'd update his list every few days he got the chance to open another locker. I was actually online the time he posted the list with Key the Metal Idol and considered purchasing it but ended up backing down due to the amount I already spent. I figured if I was meant to get the series I'd see it online again in the future.

His list is still up if anyone wants to make a request. Pretty much a majority, if not all, of the rare items have been picked up, but he's still got a great selection. He's trying to raise money to help pay for his daughter's wedding, so it's for a good cause.

Here it is: http://www.fandompost.com/forums/showthread.php?2092-Sale-Items-From-Rev.-Doc

And would you believe it, Nanoha and Nanoha A's were on that list for at least an entire week before I requested it from him. No one else on the forum was apparently interested in it or already had it.

Um... as for other rare/OOP things I have:
  • The Story of Saiunkoku
  • Higurashi: When They Cry (Viridian release)
  • Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight - say what you will about it, but I prefer Spark to Parn even though the OVA is better for the most part (plus the chibi episodes are awesome!)
  • Black Lagoon seasons 1 & 2 set
  • Please Save My Earth manga (entire series)
  • Monster manga (entire series)
  • Emma manga (entire series)
  • Basara manga (entire series except vol 2, 26, 27... so I'm almost done)

Does anyone have an email address for the guy on the Fandom Post thread that's selling stuff as I've signed up because I'm interested in some stuff of his and also to ask him if he shipped to the UK, but it turns out that the forum is one of those where you have to wait for someone to approve your application! Evil or Very Mad
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
Dear fellow collectors that own the full set of Aura Battler Dunbine singles,

Please watch them over and over again. I saw a post in this thread where someone said they haven't even opened their DVDs. Reading that breaks my little heart Sad You are very lucky to own the show, and it really is an amazing story. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dunbine fans
Newtype79

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
Outside of Aura Battler Dunbine I've been real lucky with my DVDs.

Found both Arcadia of my youth and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol 4 for $7 at moviestop.

Went to a comic book sale near my home and they had all anime DVDs
3 for $10. Scored vol 5-30 of Urusei Yatsura.

Got Armored Trooper VOTOMS tin set for about $50.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

It is! I love CLAMP and only want the best from them. If they put more of their titles out on Blu-ray, and they get brought over here, I'd scoop them up in an instant. I pray that someone will license Blood-C.

And all 8 DVDs have the black Limited Edition slip covers. Very Happy

Dammit. Mine came without one and I was told by the guy in the store that they were all like that. When I said that all the others had one, he said that it had to be some production mistake then. Idiot.

They probably will license it. I hope so anyway...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18