• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 10 Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Relairknight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
It still boggles my mind at how well One Piece does in Japan. I just don't get the appeal, I mean its a fun, decent series but how does it outsell everything else by 4x ? It seems so..middle of the shonen pack to me. But kudos, thats pretty impressive to be at the top for what seems like forever, must be doing something right!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I haven't read the manga/watched the anime for Kuroko, but I can imagine that the recent incidents with the threats and cancelled events might have risen the series popularity, thus giving it a spike in sales. After all, they always say bad publicity is still publicity -or something like that

you're thinking of there's no such thing as bad press.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:
It still boggles my mind at how well One Piece does in Japan. I just don't get the appeal, I mean its a fun, decent series but how does it outsell everything else by 4x ? It seems so..middle of the shonen pack to me. But kudos, thats pretty impressive to be at the top for what seems like forever, must be doing something right!

Once a forest fire reaches a certain size, it begins to generate its own winds, which makes it even stronger. I'd say that One Piece is like that in Japan. That said, I do like One Piece, but not to some crazy degree.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:

When something gets so popular for such a long time and is read by such a broad audience, it doesn't do some things right, but most things right. Wink

Calling One Piece just a "fun, decent series" is an understatement of what a great manga it is, by the way... up to what volume did you read it?

Last edited by Sariachan on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Madrid418

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Kuroko stole Naruto's second place spot...O_O Naruto's held that spot since 2008...(Possibly longer, but that's as far as ANN's records go so far as I can find.)

Also, One Piece's sales went down compared to the previous year for the first time in recent memory as well...And not only did they go down, but by 14.5 million...

It's the end of an age...

That being said, I'm pleased at the success of Kuroko, Uchuu Kyoudai, and Magi. Anime smile (I really need to get on reading Silver Spoon.)

I don't believe its the end of its age. You have to consider the factors of why it had a huge drop in sales. For one, yes the manga is extremely popular in Japan so with a meh arc it could affect people choosing to buy the manga. Aka Fishman island. 2) the anime for fishman island was also very meh and felt dragged. The Factor as to why it had a huge # in sales last yr was the time-skip. Because of this everyone who is or was a one piece fan wanted the copy and they probably bought prev. issues to make a collection.
I believe that next year will definitely increase again due to the Punk Hazard arc so far being very entertaining. and the one piece film z movie should also gain popularity back to the series just like strong world did.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
^ I couldn't reply before since I hadn't read the whole Fishmen Island arc yet, but now that I did I don't understand why people don't like it. I found it awesome for the most part, even if there were too many battles toward the end, maybe (but I guess Oda chose to show all the main cast fighting after they hadn't reunited for two whole years).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperVegetto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:

One Piece is the greatest thing ever written. Despite it being the most sold, as long as there are people saying stupid shit like you are it will be underrated as hell.

p.s You, and probably 99% of readers do not understand OP's true greatness, so don't think I have the same view in quality of OP as you do, as I happen to know certain rare knowledge that makes me one of the few people who can see how great One Piece TRULY is
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't look too surprising to me. I might give Silver Spoon a try in the future as well considering an anime adaptation has been announced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
SuperVegetto wrote:
Relairknight wrote:

One Piece is the greatest thing ever written.

I can't tell if this guy is legit...

One Piece is a lot of fun. But it's still pretty typical shonen fare. There have been far better things written, manga and otherwise.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why people feel the need to defend megahit franchises as "the best thing evar". Sometimes it's just a middling thing that got popular; there's nothing wrong with that.
SuperVegetto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
SuperVegetto wrote:
Relairknight wrote:

One Piece is the greatest thing ever written.

I can't tell if this guy is legit...

One Piece is a lot of fun. But it's still pretty typical shonen fare. There have been far better things written, manga and otherwise.

No. You're simply showing common ignorance.
It's definitely not typical shonen nor does anything come close to it's level let alone be far better.
Read my post scriptum again in my comment.

@Polycell

Or simply it is the best thing ever, popular or not.
It's written almost flawlessly, is extremely creative, the plot is most cleverly written and wise since it has a philosophy so great, people can't even see it exists, they think it's all about friendship and shit.
Let judging One Piece's quality to wise people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3