• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boomerang Channel Launches 1st Pokémon in U.S. in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vilapupu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
pretty cool to see the series coming back in Boomerang. I actually do get it since I have FIOS now.
what I know is that the 1st pokemon series has started showing early 2010 in the latin america's Tooncast.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dub cast changed because the pokemon company no longer uses 4kids to dub the anime. The old cast were all 4kids voice actors, making them unuseable. On top of that meowth's voice actor died a while back.

I know that, but I don't think they were "unuseable". I think Pokemon USA were just a bunch of cheapasses and decided to get sound-alikes instead of keeping the old actors that probably garnered some good change since they worked on the most popular kids show/trading cards/hand held games for 8 years. It's real easy to keep the same actors if you're willing to pay them- there is no such thing as an "unuseable" actor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
...And suddenly everyone over twenty feels really old. Laughing

At least this just feels premature... having to think how much older you were than MTV the last time they threw a big aniversary, now that hurt.
Airforce1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
That show pretty much ruined childhood. Can still remember the crap people gave me for even watching it. I blew a small fortune on those stupid cards. Rolling Eyes
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Yup. Damn.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
Hell Toonami should be put on Boomerang. Would give that almost dead channel a purpose.
james039

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
Uh, wth? old episodes of Pokemon were showing on Boomerang *years* ago. I know, I watched a few.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
The dub cast changed because the pokemon company no longer uses 4kids to dub the anime. The old cast were all 4kids voice actors, making them unuseable. On top of that meowth's voice actor died a while back.

I know that, but I don't think they were "unuseable". I think Pokemon USA were just a bunch of cheapasses and decided to get sound-alikes instead of keeping the old actors that probably garnered some good change since they worked on the most popular kids show/trading cards/hand held games for 8 years. It's real easy to keep the same actors if you're willing to pay them- there is no such thing as an "unuseable" actor.

If a voice actor is signed to a specific company, the only way to work for another is to get an alias, like a some voice actors do. It's called a contract. Wink
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:

If a voice actor is signed to a specific company, the only way to work for another is to get an alias, like a some voice actors do. It's called a contract. Wink

Well, not exactly. There are union voice actors and non-union voice actors, and union voice actors are only allowed to work on projects that hire union voice actors. Thus the reason you'll hear a lot of the same voice actors in anime done under specific dub companies and not others, but no one voice actor is specifically signed to funimation for example. I'm not sure whether or not PUSA is a specific union or non-union company when it comes to hiring voice actors, either way I'm betting they just wanted to wash their hands of the 4kids reign and start fresh with new voice actors. The mistake was for 10 years prior to that point people had grown used to the 4kids cast and hiring VA's that were mostly mimicking the old cast only added to remind everyone that they aren't the same voice actors and aren't really as good as them either.
Kyogissun wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
season 1 was always the best season, I'll definitely be watching this on Boomerang. Where the series actually began to slip was when Ash and friends went to the Johto region, the repetitiveness became very apparent it suddenly was taking hundreds of episodes to get from one gym to the next which was not the case in Kanto Confused Oh well, at least the games are still awesome Razz

Ehhhhhh... It got repetitive during Advanced and after that... But at least there were still enjoyable characters around then...

Now it's just a kids show. I still enjoyed the movies too, but it was after that change in cast and whatnot that things went south.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but in mine the show definitely started to become really stale when Ash went to the Johto region. It took far too long to get from one gym to the next and out of all the regions it was the only one to have 3 or 4 different opening themes all for the same region testament to how truly long that arc was. It ran too long to the point where when it even got to advanced there was no saving it. It didn't help that Misty left and annoying May and Max were used to replace her, it was a walking carcass at that point that had totally run it's course.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

No kidding. I starting watching it on weekday morning syndication from like the 5th episode right when it started airing. I was a sophomore in highschool. Back then not many people knew about it except like two other people, and a few friends who didn't know about it til I told them. I would go on to get a GB and the blue version just cos of the show. I was 16. Damn.

In fact, my friends' little brothers didn't even get into it until I got my friends into it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Yea, they lost it. Perhaps 4Kids will get a small cut, but I have no clue how this stuff works.

Well they definately should at least get some share. Cause though the wreck lots of anime series , at least they did pokemon really well and I'll take their VA over the PUSA VA that's doing diamond and pearl even though i like the series.

HOWEVER what i was really hoping for is that Shokugan would finally release the season in their original Japaneese scrpit, ESPEICALLY the infamous banned epsiodes , and a lot of hardcore anime fans would like that too.

Heck they should have done that for the diamond and pearl series and kept their original OP & ED. Hopefully Shoukugan as well as nintendo will listen and soon cause unfortnately people are taking those illegal fansubs.

AND UNFORTUNATELY IT"S DONE EN MASSE.

EDIT: For all the PM gamers , Have recently got my Heart Gold version. If anyone want my Friend Code as well as for my Diamond , Pearl , and Platimun versions , fell free to PM or IM me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
I remember one time back in my pre-teens making a joke about Boomerang airing Pokemon sometime in the future.
Didn't think it would actually happen, and so relatively soon... Shocked
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Good idea, Boomerang. While you're at it... Release every cartoon that's aired in the 80s and the 90s! =_= Youtube is only a small relief of things... *sighs*

At least, it's great that Boomerang's doing it. I haven't watched Boomerang in awhile, but I use to always cling on that channel for Jetsons and Flinstones.

Need a time machine...
kensh1ro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

Yes. Yes I do (I'm only 21, though).
Actually, almost everything on Boomerang and Nicktoons make me feel old.
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
my tv (u-verse) says its only on for this week only but direct tv says its on the week after.... which one is right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4