• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - West Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

Yes, that's precisely why I didn't mention it. We could probably spend days reeling off omissions; the fact is, I have to stop writing the darned column sometime. I also maybe could've mentioned Tatsunoko's 1980 telefilm adaptation of Maurice Leblanc's Arsene Lupin adventure, 813. But I haven't seen that one yet (there's no DVD release, but there was a VHS tape for the rental market! Been trying to find that one cheap...), so I'll have to settle for Nigh Hood reruns in the meantime.

What, you mean you can't have the column stretch on for a Russian novel's worth of pages every time you write it??? Awww, you're no fun.

I'm not sure how the fact that ANN streamed Remi made it a good candidate to skip mentioning, but I'm sure you know better than I do there. And when I thought about it, books like Daddy Long Legs and Anne of Green Gables are still in print while Remi's source text is not, so that alone would make it worth skipping - how frustrating is it to try to track down an old book only to find that one copy exists in the reading room of some library on a university campus on some mountain somewhere and they won't lend it out? (Hint: VERY VERY frustrating. Grr.) But you know what? It is now a totally moot point because we've mentioned it in the thread. Smile Ah, pointless posting...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
I feel like I've asked like fifty filipinos this question in the past few months, but do you remember seeing WONDER SIX (English dubbed Sasuraiger) as a kid? I'm desperate to track some of it down. Also, were FUTURE BOY CONAN and DETECTIVE CONAN dubbed in English?

Never seen Wonder Six. For some reason anime of that era only got to us through U.S. dubs.

Future Boy Conan and Detective Conan were dubbed in English by Animax Asia. Coincidentally, Andrea Kwan played both Conans. Then again Omni Productions only had about a dozen regulars and it got pretty easy to recognize their voices.

Mike Toole wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

Yeah. I'd love to hear a UK English dub of The Twins at St Clare's or a U.S. dub of the 1990 Daddy Long-Legs series.

Gosh, yes. I didn't even know the Twins anime existed until I read about it in the Anime Encyclopedia. It blows me away that there's a supposedly pretty darn good cartoon based on Enid Blyton books, and it's never been seen in the English-speaking world.

First saw it in Chinese, then in Tagalog. Seems pretty weird that it's been dubbed in every major European language except English.

Mike Toole wrote:
Speaking of which, a Famous Five anime TV show would be pretty alright, yeah?

Haven't read the Famous Five books. The Twins anime got me to read the book (was in stock locally for a while), same with Daddy Long Legs.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
IMO Wheel of Time would make a decent anime in the right hands, and could possibly improve on the source material if they "tightened up" the parts where Jordan was obviously getting burned out and just meandering along.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
This is an excellent point. Along with the smoking, there's at least one scene where Conan is captured and has the absolute crap beaten out of him by his adult captors, and that wouldn't go over well with a producer hoping to sell the show to kids.

The solution, of course, is to NOT sell the show to kids-- at least not specifically. IMO, just put the thing on video with a TV14 rating; Miyazaki's name will still sell it.

...and then all of us who aren't crazy over-protective will just show it to our children anyway! Very Happy

It will need a good dub, though, but I think Miyazaki's name does make it enough of a sure-thing that a company would spend the money for it.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
IMO Wheel of Time would make a decent anime in the right hands, and could possibly improve on the source material if they "tightened up" the parts where Jordan was obviously getting burned out and just meandering along.

I'd agree that if they get an effective visualization of the magical system, and not just YASP (yet-another-spinning-pentagram), they could do well focusing on one book at a time and attempting to do it justice. Most of the first ones lead up to a big climax, so the "left dangling" problem would not be there until the second half of the series, where they get into, "oh, yeah, so and so was left over there, they have to have an adventure that leaves them over here" which could indeed by tightened up.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Ignores the Doctor Who rant

Heh, sorry, got carried away there Razz

yamiangie wrote:
though to me anime doctor who is Galaxy express 999 without time travel

Don't you mean with? But yeah, now that I think about it, that sounds about right Smile
MarthaC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The problem with Deltora Quest's dub is that the music they replaced the original with is the same background stuff from the dub of Monster Rancher. In other words, recycled.

I thought myself the opening theme was from MonColle Knights or whatever it was called.
Dr. Who anime: Remember that Time Lady Roma who went into a different universe? That could be a good offshoot story.

Very interesting to see the orginal Transformers back on. I was never a huge fan, but it is a lot better than cheap looking series that was put out after the movie.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I've said it a million times, but Ender's Game needs to be an anime. I see no way that it can really be done any justice as a two-hour movie (and apparently Mr. Card hasn't yet either), but as an anime of even 13 episodes it could be done (might have to leave out the stuff with the siblings, but I don't know if that would be a giant loss).

Heck, I was picturing it as an anime as I was reading it, and I don't tend to do that. That's got to count for something.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought Gaston Leroux's original Phantom of the Opera was an obvious choice for a shoujo series. The angsty romance and pretty costumes seem like such an easy sell!

From what I've been able to tell there have been a couple of manga adaptations, but neither has been popular enough to be adapted, and I haven't heard of an anime based on the original novels either.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember a topic on ANN forumwhere we can think any western stories that would make a good anime. Also good article, Mike. I would love to see more western stories be made into anime. After seeing The Animatrix, Batman: Gotham Knight, and Halo Legends do so well. Also Supernatural anime, and Marvel anime may look promising open up possibilities that one day anime may become mainstream in US thanks to anime adaptation of western stories/franchises. I would love to see some of our OEL/global manga getting anime adaptation like Amazing Agent Luna, Aoi House, Kasumi, and things like that.

Also I know current western novels (mostly Sci-fi that can work as anime):

-William Gibson's work: Neuromancer and Idoru should have anime adaptation. I did recall Idoru was getting a anime adaptation but we haven't heard about it since then.

-The Takeshi Kovacs series, whenever I read the plot, I imagine it as Cowboy Bebop.

-The Revelation Space series. The plot of the stories feels like Captain Harlock, and other space opera anime. Why not give this British Sci-Fi novel a anime adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panda-s1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody's brought it up, but the Mistborn trilogy (by Brandon Sanderson) would be awesome. It has everything you need: young female protagonist, scary dark world, awesome magic system, crazy scary monsters... yeah it goes on. I can't say I imagined it as such while reading it, but I did want it to be real so bad, Brandon Sanderson is good at writing action scenes (IMO).
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
And Mike also omitted the upcoming Marvel anime adaptations we can look forward to- Wolverine, X-men, Ironman and Blade are all getting animated by Madhouse, which will apparently see broadcast and dvd releases here.

Look man, none of these are as important as TOMB OF DRACULA. Not only does it misspell Marv Wolfman's name "Mary Wolfman", it also

I rest my case.

Quote:
I sort of want to see the Poirot and Marple anime, but am not sure if I'd like the insertion of younger characters into the storylines-

Well, Mabel West is really only used to connct Marple and Poirot, because they very rarely appear together in Christie's story (IIRC they only share billing in one or two shorts - someone jump in if I'm wrong, I'm no Christie expert!). She seemed a perfectly good character from the episodes I saw, though her pet duck or whatever was kind of ridiculous.

Quote:
Another series who FUnimation put a little of out on dvd, with the rest being released here in Canada by CookieJar on dvd recently, is Spider Riders.

I remember this one, and have avoided it mainly because I dislike virtually everything Bee Train has done.

belvadeer wrote:
The problem with Deltora Quest's dub is that the music they replaced the original with is the same background stuff from the dub of Monster Rancher. In other words, recycled.

Man, I'm gonna have to verify that. That is SILLY. Also, lazy. But not the first time I've seen such laziness - composer Masamichi Amano really outdid himself with the score to GIANT ROBO, and apparently liked his own work so much that he re-used it in NINJA RESURRECTION. I bet this phenomenon happens more often that we think.

Quote:
To be honest, I never saw or heard of any of these adaptations.

Yep, that's why I made the column. Thanks for reading!

MeggieMay wrote:
You know, I'd love to read The Incredible Tide. The problem is I've yet to find a copy and I've been hunting off and on for one since I was 14

I had to borrow mine from the library. See if your library has it, or if they can find it (most libraries are part of regional networks that share books, so if yours doesn't have it a nearby one might).

Paploo wrote:

- Osamu Dezaki's Moby Dick anime was released by ADV Films. I need to get that sometime. It's set in SPPPAAAAACCCE! I'm guessing it's another you ran out of space for. You should come back to this topic again sometime for another MTS.

The space setting was enough to strike it from the list. It would be a good candidate for some of the freer anime adaptations of literature, like STARZINGER (Journey to the West) Argentosoma (Frankenstein), etc.

Princess_Irene wrote:

I'm not sure how the fact that ANN streamed Remi made it a good candidate to skip mentioning,

I dunno, something about hyping one's own products - that whole conflict of interest thing. No need to refer to "streamed" in the past tense - as of this writing, the whole series is STILL streaming on ANN.

Quote:
how frustrating is it to try to track down an old book only to find that one copy exists in the reading room of some library on a university campus on some mountain somewhere and they won't lend it out?

yyyyep, sounds like every Arsene Lupin book until about three years ago, when the first one (The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsene Lupin) finally got reprinted, and then the whole works got shoved out as eBooks. Speaking of reprintings, Nobody's Boy is back in print as of April of this year, so happy hunting!

Hardgear wrote:

I seem to remember the parts where Jordan got burned out and was meandering along making up like 85% of the books. Had to quit that one after book six, the hero constantly arguing with his three girlfriends, and lots of HARGH BLARGH I AM SHAIDAR HARAN nonsense.

Thanks for the suggestions, gang. Some of these are going on the ol' reading list after I've finished chewing through SOCCERNOMICS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
You know, I'd love to read The Incredible Tide. The problem is I've yet to find a copy and I've been hunting off and on for one since I was 14

I had to borrow mine from the library. See if your library has it, or if they can find it (most libraries are part of regional networks that share books, so if yours doesn't have it a nearby one might).

You know, I almost mentioned this in the original post but I've had looked via ILL (Inter Library Loan) and first did it back when I was 14 Confused Kansas had a great ILL at the time but the book was only in one library circa 1980 and it had gone missing (the local library had The Forgotten Door and I had almost memorized my copy of the book of Escape to Witch Mountain I'd read it so many times (the book has nothing to do with the three Disney movie and IMO was a LOT better than Disney's ever manged to do a film version of it). Recently on a whim (well actually a video reviewer named Grump Jii-san did a review of Future Boy Conan and showed off his copy of the book, is what really set me off looking Very Happy ) I ran a search for the book via a larger online database (World Cat) a regional library offers online. The closest copy that one could find was South Dakota Rolling Eyes Weirdly, I just re-ran that search and tonight I'm hitting on a single copy held by a Kansas public library (and one by a school but I know ILL only covers public libraries). Hmm, guess I need to go down to my local library and see if they can get me that copy and if not go to the other library and find out if they can actually use World Cat to get books. At least making this post was helpful Smile .

BTW, I finally watched Deltora Quest tonight (I had several weeks of it backed up on my DVR). It's not a bad show - interesting art style but the dub is very Bluewater Rolling Eyes They're not my favorite dub group, far from it with their dub of the Shadow Skill's OVA's ranking as my worst dub of the current dub era (I've seen tree's who could voice act better than what happened in that production Twisted Evil ), though I'm sure you've heard much worse (this show aired on Ani Midnight Action in the 2000's, which is how I saw it) . Still, the biggest surprise I found was how The Hub is airing the show. Its airing with only one five minute commercial break and has it's bumpers intact! Now I'm curious if anythings been edited out of it or not (I'm figuring something has since the music jumps oddly at times and I can't imagine any show made outside of the U.S. these days not getting edited for content in some way Sad ). Do you or anyone else know what edits have been made to the show so far?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I totally forgot what member at Anime Jump had the Dracula eating a hamburger avatar. To this day I have never seen a better avatar, it was animated, obscure, and hilarious.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Lensman was one of the three shows that first got me interested in anime, the other two being Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival. I remember it well because those were the first three anime ever shown on SciFi Channel in a special one night block back when the network first launched, predating the short lived Saturday block and morning blocks. Lensman got a huge merchandise push in Japan and I'm always jealous when I see the Tomy figures in people's collections, especially when they don't even know what they are and just thought they looked cool on eBay. Someday I WILL own a Cycroader II and Grappler & D-E, they're just so awesome!

Heh, I bothered picking up two separate LD's of the film in both it's Japanese and US releases, plus the "anime comics" edition of the film and a couple other promotional materials such as a poster (not the US Streamline version).

vashfanatic wrote:
Future Boy Conan is pretty much hands down the best childrens' cartoon series I've seen ever, anywhere. I like it as well, maybe more than Batman: The Animated Series and Animaniacs (which are very different from it, of course), and I bring up that comparison as a means of saying that, just like these two American shows, it can appreciated by adults as much as by its original young audience, in a different way. If you've ever wanted to see the roots of Miyazaki's storytelling style, this is where you've got to turn...

And why I say this should've aired on Nickelodeon back in the mid 80's.

Quote:
...aaaand you've got to turn to fansubs to do it. I wish this was licensed, but I imagine it would be hard to do it in America at this point for a number of reasons:
1) The animation style is "old." I mean, it's wonderful animation, but an audience raised on more recent-style cartoons might be turned off on it.

Which wouldn't include me anyway!

Quote:
2) It needs a dub. Unlike some older series that I would be content with seeing a barebones release, this is one I would want to be able to show my children (or nieces and nephews) one day. And unless they are raised fluent in Japanese, it'll need a dub.

I sorta picture the Intersound guys on this too. Too bad that didn't happen either.

Quote:
3) Most executives would want to cut stuff out of it, and I'm not sure that if Miyazaki has any say that will happen. What "stuff" am I talking about? Blood (for as we all know, nobody bleeds, not even if you seriously hurt them Rolling Eyes ) and a scene in which the trying-to-look-tough Jimsy smokes a cigarette and offers it to Conan. Never mind that the scene concludes with Conan deciding cigarettes are gross, we can't depict drug use in front of children! Rolling Eyes

And yet, I love how that scene was handled.

Quote:
I sort of hope that some studio somewhere proves me wrong, that in the post-Avatar: the Last Airbender age someone will take a chance on a series with an ongoing story and some serious themes. I mean, it slows down maybe a little too much at the midpoint, but other than that, it's awesome.

Assuming someone has the cash to pay Nippon Animation for it. I get the impression from those I've talked with that they practically hold onto these classics as if everyone was worth the same price or such.

Raz_G wrote:
With regards to Heidi - you get can a collection of three compilation films on YESASIA that contain English subs. Not the same thing as having the complete 52-episodes, I agree, but nice enough - and I believe that this is not a bootleg (the edition is from China, Taiwan or Hong-Kong, I'm not sure).

I have a friend out there who's nearly finished translating all the episodes ready to fansub exclusively (and apparently I'm helping too).

MeggieMay wrote:
You know, I'd love to read The Incredible Tide. The problem is I've yet to find a copy and I've been hunting off and on for one since I was 14 (which was 1979 FWIW) Crying or Very sad I loved Alexander Key's books when I was a kid and it's a pity they've all been pretty much out of print since that time. I've always hoped someone might pick up Future Boy Conan and put it out in R1 just so someone might attempt to get his books back into print as well.

Well if you don't mind an online version to download as a .doc or .pdf file, here's this...
http://www.highharbor.net/en/divers.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4