• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Battle Girls Gone Wild

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
As far a dubs, I have heard that Sentai is more likely to do dubs when they can sell it to anime distributors in other English-speaking regions.
Hello! Nice to meet'cha! Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Boob shows are proven sellers, so I'm not surprised. A show like AnoNatsu is a bit more of a risk.

Funny that the opposite was true in Japan for those select titles.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And that is why I am not very fond of NISA premium releases. Sure, the look nice, but it is a pain to fit them. I would love it if NISA started putting out more regular editions. I simply want the discs.

This is the main reason I haven't bought more NISA releases yet. I don't really have a setup to nicely accommodate the large premium releases, even though there are some shows I'd really like. Luckily they do release some as regular sized versions, like Bunny Drop which just came in the mail today for me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

And that is why I am not very fond of NISA premium releases. Sure, the look nice, but it is a pain to fit them. I would love it if NISA started putting out more regular editions. I simply want the discs.

This is the main reason I haven't bought more NISA releases yet. I don't really have a setup to nicely accommodate the large premium releases, even though there are some shows I'd really like. Luckily they do release some as regular sized versions, like Bunny Drop which just came in the mail today for me.

I wish I had known that a standard version of Bunny Drop was coming out before buying the premium edition. I actually have a good set up to store NISA boxes, but they still look weird.
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
To the Dan whose shelves were featured:

That is so~o my game shelf! Did you sneak into my house and take a picture of it while I wasn't home? Wink lol Seriously, all those PS2 Rpg's look awful familiar. *high five* to a guy with taste!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
I'll admit Sengoku Otome is not a masterpiece of any sort, but I think it's a lot better than Bamboo made it to be. For instance, out of all the Fem!Sengoku Era anime out there, I think this one has the coolest Oda Nobunaga, with her manly attitude and weird, spontaneaous behavior. (in contrast, it must have the crappiest Date Masamune ever. Which is a shame, since he's my favorite Sengoku character)

Also, while very thin plotwise, I think it has a few very decent plot points here and there, mostly the episode where spoiler[Hideyoshi convinces Mitsuhide not to betray Nobunaga. Historically, that's how Nobunaga died, and I really liked that approach of changing history.] There are a few more examples of this, but I found this one to be the most remarkable.

I also find it commendable that, even though the middle episodes seemed to be turning towards a hyper-yuri-harem surrounding Nobunaga (or Hideyoshi), the writers ultimately didn't take that direction and gave it a more action-oriented plot with the confrontation against Tokugawa

Then again, I may be biased because I love Sengoku era anime (except Sengoku Collection, because it doesn't happen in the Sengoku era and it never made any sense)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Either they do it (Dubbed BluRay) based on stream numbers or they do it arbitrarily. Sometimes it appears that it shouldn't add up, but Sentai doesn't give out their reasons for what they do.

Actually they have stated the reasons how they choose which titles to dub, repeatedly in fact.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Either they do it (Dubbed BluRay) based on stream numbers or they do it arbitrarily. Sometimes it appears that it shouldn't add up, but Sentai doesn't give out their reasons for what they do.

Boob shows are proven sellers, so I'm not surprised. A show like AnoNatsu is a bit more of a risk.

You can't just say that and then leave it. Why is it more of a risk? What makes it a bigger risk than something like, say, Heaven's Memo Pad? What makes the ef series or Kamisama Dolls less riskier than the show directed by the man behind Toradora, written by the original creator of Please Teacher/Twins, and handled by the studio responsible for Shana?

And if boob shows are these big time hot shot sellers, where's Kampfer's dub? Or Mayo Chiki's, or To Love Ru, or Seikon no Qwaser's, or any of the other various "boob shows" they haven't dubbed?

The subtitled series you've listed, with the exception of Mayo Chiki, aren't licensed in the UK or Australia. Every title that Sentai dubs is licensed in one of those markets or both. That seems to be the primary difference. Sentai doesn't dub titles that won't be released outside of the US, and often has assistance from the foreign distributors in producing the dubs. Waiting in The Summer was licensed in Australia, but its possible that Madman wasn't willing to participate in the financing.

I don't understand why people have such issue understanding this. It's pretty simple if you pay attention. The US isn't the only anime market outside Japan and its not longer large enough to support things like dubs on its own.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
Ok sorta OT but

Why do people buy omnibus Manga?
What were they thinking?
Who thought it was a good idea?
When did that BS start?
and again WHY!?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote
Because it's three volumes for about the same cost as one volume? If you're fine with losing the cover art, what's the difference?
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Sometimes you have no choice about whether to buy omnibus releases as that's all the publisher has released, e.g. Betrayal Knows My Name by Yen Press
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Ok sorta OT but

Why do people buy omnibus Manga?
What were they thinking?
Who thought it was a good idea?
When did that BS start?
and again WHY!?

From the publisher's point of view, producing one large volume is not much more expensive than producing three small volumes. I expect it's much easier to keep the omnibus volume in print, than it is to keep all three of the smaller volumes in print.

It means long-running, but concluded-in-Japan, series can be released in a finite amount of time (I think bookshops are reluctant to stock new volumes of a series on a monthly basis --- so publishers release one new volume every four to six months).

From the purchaser's point of view: How many series have I not started because volume four is out of print and going for $150 used on ebay or the Amazon marketplace? And again, the timelines factor comes in.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Because it's three volumes for about the same cost as one volume? If you're fine with losing the cover art, what's the difference?

two words "Pocket Size" that was the best thing about Manga it would always fit in every coat or jacket (inside)pocket i ever owned meaning it was much better for on the go and weight is also a factor they're just too heavy for long reading sessions.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

two words "Pocket Size" that was the best thing about Manga it would always fit in every coat or jacket (inside)pocket i ever owned meaning it was much better for on the go and weight is also a factor they're just too heavy for long reading sessions.

Then get an e-reader or other mobile device. Now you can carry "all the manga" in your coat or jacket.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Then get an e-reader or other mobile device. Now you can carry "all the manga" in your coat or jacket.

already have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4