• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Heart of Bored

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Doesn't he burn a guy's face off with the same heat power? That just seems dumb.
Kenshin was a fun enough show when I was a fledgling fan of anime & I have nostalgia for it, but not even then, viewing the show through the rose-colored glasses of nascent fandom, would I argue that the show wasn't fairly dumb.

I remember in the original series an instance where one of the characters (Sanosuke) was able to defeat a super-powered punch that he took to the torso, a punch that essentially disintegrates anything that it touches (Futae no Kiwami), by punching himself with the same move on the other side of his torso, so that the "waves" of the punch would "negate" and he'd emerge all but unscathed. This same punch could create huge geysers out of still water by mere contact and other ludicrously unrealistic acts. That was dumb fun.

Though I'm sure that they're not what I'd call intentional, I can't help but feel that there are some aspects of Kenshin that go a tad beyond "dumb fun". They're certainly nothing that elevate it above average shounen fare, but they've helped keep Kenshin kicking around in my mind: the series demonstrates some exceptional cruelty that seems out of place (eg:in the original series Kenshin has to face an adversary that was intentionally maimed--multiple times--by an otherwise benevolent swordsman;the attempt to burn Shishio alive) and the curious mental state of Kenshin himself: being able to go in an instant from wimpy & affable to a cold-hearted murderer who restrains himself only for "ethics" (and his restraint is barely maintained), and then back again, is a trait normally one not found in the truly sane but in the crazies on shows like Criminal Minds.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
How did Sentai get the exact same dub staff for the New Kyoto Arc when the studio they work for closed down like 10 years ago?

Not quite. it was Bang Zoom that did the dubbing for the original series and Media Blasters had the license. The only thing that closed 10 yrs ago was Animaze / Zero Limit Productions.

And this current casting is actually old ADV Films vetrans, and not the same dub staff. For instance the VA for Kenshin was mainly voiced on series that were licensed by ADV including the other OVA and the TV series are completely different. so it's not the same dub staff of the TV series.

As for this OVA , i like it. Sure it would have been better if they had made the Kyoto arc into a 13 ep OVA , but it's still a good OVA nevertheless. It's rental shelf at best but definitely not perishable.

As for the other one , it's very interesting since i am a yuri fanatic, but since Nozomi didn't included an english dub just like with Maria Watches Over US , i'll have to skip this series as well. Luckily I still have Kannazuki no Miko.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
As for the other one , it's very interesting since i am a yuri fanatic, but since Nozomi didn't included an english dub just like with Maria Watches Over US , i'll have to skip this series as well. Luckily I still have Kannazuki no Miko.

The Animax Asia dub of Marimite is what got me to watch the show after I left the fansubs sitting on CD-Rs for a couple of years. Fair to average, since it was obviously done with a handful of voice actresses (Candice Moore plays at least three characters, for instance). Still, they did the first three seasons uncut (AFAICT) and used the best ever translation for gokigenyou ("good day to you").

Still haven't watched Kannazuki no Miko since it's a wee bit too close to a story I've been writing for over ten years now.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

I'm with you on this. My yuri fanaticism is likely lesser than yours, but my desire to purchase both this and Maria Watches Over Us was quashed by Nozomi/RightStuf's decision to forego English dubs (It's a shame that the last RS dubbed property I saw was The Third, which I found to be execrable). I tried the subs, by which I mainly mean the Japanese dub, for 'em and I found that I didn't care for them. I find that interesting as other similar shows which went undubbed, like Strawberry Panic were fine IMO undubbed (though I would have preferred a dub).

I can't see how Toriko is "shelf worthy". Watching the dub, I've found it entertaining enough to legally stream from Funimation, but I can't imagine being moved to buy it outright. Does it really have "rewatchability"?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
the rurouni kenshin ova certainly was a disappointment. I didn't care for the art style either. I thought the point of Kenshin's design was he was supposed to look like a historically famous samurai who was noted for being kind of feminine looking? Kind of throws that right out the window in the OVA where Kenshin has suddenly grown 6 inches taller and has about 15lbs more muscle mass. As for the mummy sex that everyone keeps talking about it's more bizarre, awkward, and uncomfortable than funny. In other words, if you're planning on watching it just for that one scene, don't bother it's not worth it.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
More than anything, though, it makes me shake my fist yet again at how cumbersome and inconvenient public transportation on the West Coast is. It's nigh impossible getting anywhere in Southern California without a car, so this will be a fun few days of begging friends for rides and staring at my dwindling grocery supply. Hooray, automobile dependence!

I understand how you feel. I used to drive when I lived in San Jose.

Living in San Francisco, not all public transportation in the West Coast are bad. I don't know what other West Coast cities are like, but I think that SF's bus system is really great. Not too many people in the city depends on car for in-city commute and chores. Only the rich and upper middle class people drive in the city for in-city commute.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
^ Yeah, I can't live without a car. If I want to use public transit here, I have to drive to the nearest bus stop first. Rolling Eyes And then there are only a couple bus routes in my city, so it takes 10 times as long to get anywhere compared to driving (if you can get there by bus at all).
LA and other big cities have good public transit (and thank goodness for that because driving in LA is terrifying), but everywhere else is extremely limited.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I can't see how Toriko is "shelf worthy". Watching the dub, I've found it entertaining enough to legally stream from Funimation, but I can't imagine being moved to buy it outright. Does it really have "rewatchability"?

I wonder that one myself; it seems to me to have "novelty" written all over it. What happens when the novelty wears thin or off completely?

I've only ever seen an episode or two of Rurouni Kenshin; I prefer to keep my samurai viewing strickly to movies unless boobs or giant robots are involved. Ninjas, vampires, comedy, that sort of thing...

Sweet Blue Flowers? I'd watch it, what amazes me about yuri romance released in the US is the lack of yuri romance contained within. The closest thing I can think of that played it straight without coping out {Hello Maria-sama!} or going the rape route {...guess...} is Strawberry Panic and that's more shounen somehow. And still, there were hints of rape here and there and there especially...
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
There aren't a lot of notable yuri series to begin with; it's a pretty niche genre with a habit of short series and one-shots, which tend not to get licensed as much regardless of content. The only anime I can think of that wasn't licensed in the US and sorta fits your requirements is Sasameki Koto(the "sorta" coming from the anime stopping well before the manga).
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Eh... ::moves New Kyoto Arc further down on her list. Much further down::

Don't get me wrong - I adore Kenshin. I adore the show so much I'll even sit through the *complete filler arc* that is Season 3 of the anime, even though when I'm done with it I have to then go the end of the manga so that my brain can treat it like filler and less like the end to the anime series. But of the anime, Kyoto was my favorite, and it really *was* executed amazingly well. I honestly couldn't believe it when I heard they were re-doing it (why would you redo it?!), and that they were also going to cram it into two OAVs. (????) It just baffled my mind. So I'm not really surprised by this review. As a Kenshin fan, I'll likely pick up the OAV...but it's not high on my list. Not really at all. I have the original Kyoto arc on my shelf already, and I'm happy with it. Getting the OAV would be just to sate the collector bug in me.

*Particularly* because there's this entire *big huge chunk* of Rurouni Kenshin plot that just got cut from the actual anime series in the first place. Yes, we got an adaptation of it in the form of an OAV, but...in my opinion, Trust & Betrayal aside, I just don't think the time constraints on OAVs are enough to do Rurouni Kenshin justice. Not unless it's a multi-part OAV released over a span of time, wherein the release is slow but we still get 13+ episodes to see things unfold. What I - and a lot of fans, I think - would love to see is the actual ending arc to the manga released in a multi-episode season format. And until that happens, I honestly look upon anything further in the Kenshin franchise with trepidation.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

For me, at least, I think different shows are "rewatchable" for different reasons. I rewatch Perfect Blue, for instance, because it's a masterpiece and an incredible film. I rewatch shows like Toriko because they make me laugh and I can throw them on in the background when I'm doing other things. I also own a lot of TV comedies on DVD, and I feel the same way about those.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
chrisb wrote:
How did Sentai get the exact same dub staff for the New Kyoto Arc when the studio they work for closed down like 10 years ago?

Not quite. it was Bang Zoom that did the dubbing for the original series and Media Blasters had the license. The only thing that closed 10 yrs ago was Animaze / Zero Limit Productions.

And this current casting is actually old ADV Films vetrans, and not the same dub staff. For instance the VA for Kenshin was mainly voiced on series that were licensed by ADV including the other OVA and the TV series are completely different. so it's not the same dub staff of the TV series.

He was referring to Monster Island Studios that closed. That was ADV's former dubbing studio in Austin. They did the dubs for several ADV series including Nadia, Getbackers, the Kenshin (Samurai X) movies, and Petite Princess Yucie. Much of ADV's cast did reprise their roles in the Kyoto Arc OVA, despite not having worked on an ADV dub since Monster Island closed.

When posters have talked about the voice actors returning, they were talking about the Monster Island VAs, not the Bang Zoom ones. ADV didn't utilize Bang Zoom for the Kenshin movies, despite the fact that they utilized them on other titles at the time. It wasn't surprising that Sentai didn't use BZ for the Kyoto Arc OVA, but it was surprising that they managed to get back their cast for the movies who hadn't been heard in any Texas dubs for nearly a decade.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Bamboo Dong wrote:
More than anything, though, it makes me shake my fist yet again at how cumbersome and inconvenient public transportation on the West Coast is. It's nigh impossible getting anywhere in Southern California without a car, so this will be a fun few days of begging friends for rides and staring at my dwindling grocery supply. Hooray, automobile dependence!

I understand how you feel. I used to drive when I lived in San Jose.

Pretty sure I spent more for the car than anime/manga last year, not including gas. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how Americans can spend so much money on petrol when it's so cheap to buy. Petrol in New Zealand is almost twice as expensive as in the States, and Europe is even more expensive than us. So to all you Yanks, it makes no sense for you to complain about prices when they are so low.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I don't know how Americans can spend so much money on petrol when it's so cheap to buy. Petrol in New Zealand is almost twice as expensive as in the States, and Europe is even more expensive than us. So to all you Yanks, it makes no sense for you to complain about prices when they are so low.

"Cheap" is a very relative thing, though. Take a look at this graph. Up until 10 years ago or so, gas was well under $2.00/gallon (which is 3.78 liters, for metric types), as it was throughout the 90s. I remember that bottoming-out in 2002, when the prices around here dropped under $1...it was crazy. Prices have more than doubled, and even almost tripled, in a fairly-short time frame, which takes a huge chunk out of anyone's budget.

Also, keep in mind just how large the US is. Most areas of the country involve substantially more daily driving than your average European would experience, and we unfortunately have much worse public transportation, at least outside of cities. In suburbia, and especially out in the boonies, if you want to get anywhere, you need to drive, and possibly a long way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5